GTX 1080ti or RTX 2080 for VR

Hey guys,

im from NZ, so if the prices will be different.

im looking at upgrading my gpu to use the new vr headsets that have recently come out specifically for sim racing.

for example - htc cosmos or hp reverb.

Ive been looking and there is a few Used gtx 1080ti cards going for roughly 900-1000$ 

there are VERY few 2080s on the NZ market, so I would have to purchase new, roughly $1150-1300

I was wondering if the extra cost of getting 2080 is worth it. I’ve read many forms and reviews with benchmark test, and everyone has different thoughts on the hole thing.

im not sure if I should be worried about ray tracing in vr. Or having to future proof myself. 

Sorry for the long message.

and thanks for the response in advanced. 

TBH, if I were to spend 1K on a card, I would rather get a new card instead of a used card. Easily worth that $200 difference imo.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The new card would be better because it has a warranty.

Since I have more than one gaming computer I buy more cards. I find that 1 in 8 cards needs to be RMAed at some point.

The cards that I RMAed lasted for over a year before failure so to me it is always better to buy new unless you come across a super deal like a 1080 ti for $400 NZ.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

20 minutes ago, HavocJC said:

Hey guys,

im from NZ, so if the prices will be different.

im looking at upgrading my gpu to use the new vr headsets that have recently come out specifically for sim racing.

for example - htc cosmos or hp reverb.

Ive been looking and there is a few Used gtx 1080ti cards going for roughly 900-1000$ 

there are VERY few 2080s on the NZ market, so I would have to purchase new, roughly $1150-1300

I was wondering if the extra cost of getting 2080 is worth it. I’ve read many forms and reviews with benchmark test, and everyone has different thoughts on the hole thing.

im not sure if I should be worried about ray tracing in vr. Or having to future proof myself. 

Sorry for the long message.

and thanks for the response in advanced. 

Ray tracing is only just coming out in regular computer games, I expect it will be years before we see it in VR. But I'm with @Levent, I would always buy new rather than secondhand.

Even if you don't use the RT functionality in games, you should look at the raw horse power of the card. That's why I chose a 2080 Super when I built my new PC rather than an older card, even assuming I would have been able to still get one.

Love not hate

I'm running a 1080 Ti with a 3800X, and HP Reverb in Il-2 VR, and I'm getting 1% lows of around 39-40 FPS, so for me it's playable. This compares pretty well with what this guy is getting on his 9900K, 2080, Rift rig, I'm IL-2 once I've rescalled for Rift CV1 resolutions: https://youtu.be/syw13Ww5RQE

So for VR performance, they are about equivalent. Given that both cards seem to be about at the limits of being able to run 4K VR, I don't know if I'd care to much about the ability to add ray tracing to the mix.

At this point I think the question does become whether the value of the card being new is worth it. You might also check to see if the 2070 Super is available in your region for less. That's also in the same performance ballpark as the 1080 Ti, and may be available for less.