Laptop for Premiere Pro

Misinthe

Hello everyone, I am in search of laptop to do some premiere pro editing and I am looking for some advice, my budget is $2000 - $2500 USD. Right now I'm between a MacPro and an Asus. 

Here are the links:

Mac: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch-space-gray-2.6ghz-6-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-4.5ghz-256gb#

Asus: 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-s-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-1tb-solid-state-drive-metallic-black/6382463.p?skuId=6382463&cmp=RMX&irclickid=VP6RZC0QQxyOTzI05-R4sULoUknwbY3eIzsw000&irgwc=1&ref=198&loc=VP6RZC0QQxyOTzI05-R4sULoUknwbY3eIzsw000&acampID=633495

Is Intel + Nvidia better than Intel + AMD? Which one would you recommend and is Premiere better optimized for Windows or Mac? 

Thank you all for your help and comments. 

Mac and work with Final Cut :P
Thats MUCH faster even though the hardware of the ASUS is faster.

Want to game to? -> ASUS

The Mac has MUCH better software optimizations in Final Cut

Best thing about the Mac: The T2 chip can be used for encoding together with the AMD card and that is like 2-3x faster than the i7 in the Asus. But this only works with final cut or programs wich use the MacOS encode libraries. Therefore not Premiere.

I am using a MBP for Final Cut and love it. Much faster than on my Win rig with Premiere. The win rig is faster on paper R7 3800x and 2xRadeon VII

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

If you were going to get a Mac, it would make the most sense to be using FinalCut Pro. However, even Adobe Premiere has been massively optimized for the Mac. 

You can’t go wrong with the MacBook Pro. It’s just a bit pricy for what you’re getting on paper. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

If you were going to get a Mac, it would make the most sense to be using FinalCut Pro. However, even Adobe Premiere has been massively optimized for the Mac. 

You can’t go wrong with the MacBook Pro. It’s just a bit pricy for what you’re getting on paper. 

yeh, on paper. But the real world Performance (especially in FC) is Boss.

9 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Mac and work with Final Cut :P
Thats MUCH faster even though the hardware of the ASUS is faster.

Want to game to? -> ASUS

The Mac has MUCH better software optimizations in Final Cut

Best thing about the Mac: The T2 chip can be used for encoding together with the AMD card and that is like 2-3x faster than the i7 in the Asus. But this only works with final cut or programs wich use the MacOS encode libraries. Therefore not Premiere.

I am using a MBP for Final Cut and love it. Much faster than on my Win rig with Premiere. The win rig is faster on paper R7 3800x and 2xRadeon VII

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

The work environment is based on Adobe Premiere, so I cannot switch to Final Cut. I know for Final Cut the best is Mac, but I cannot make that switch. That's why I was asking for Premiere Pro. 

1 hour ago, Miguel552 said:

The work environment is based on Adobe Premiere, so I cannot switch to Final Cut. I know for Final Cut the best is Mac, but I cannot make that switch. That's why I was asking for Premiere Pro. 

KK, I see. Idd still recommend the Mac, because of its better battery life, portability and well because of Mac OS. For pure performance (hard to say for me as an apple fan :D) it will be the ASUS

I recomend the Mac as well. I use a base 15" model from 2017 (I think) and work with Premiere. A coworker uses a very similarly spec'd Asus Zenbook Pro for the same work as I do and the amount of compatibility issues that she's run into with Windows is much higher that what I have with the Mac. Export times are also almost always faster, especially when we export to ProRes for working with agencies. 

Besides the Mac I also use a pretty powerful Windows machine at home for personal stuff because I'm not spending a ton of cash for an iMac Pro or even a Mac Pro (also nowhere near able to afford either of them). So I see both the Mac and the Windows Version of Premiere regularly. 

My main point is that on a mobile Platform, i.e. a Laptop, I don't want to have to troubleshoot. And my Macbook has run almost flawlessly for 2 years now, whereas the Asus of my coworker always has trouble with new releases of premiere, mainly because of incompatible graphics drivers. Overall I've noticed that the whole CC library of applications runs a lot better on the Mac, using available resources better and is more stable.