Personal Cloud Gaming Box

Hey all, so I have tried Shadow PC for a while and it just is too expensive (yes I know the price is going down soon, but keep reading) and is just super laggy for me.

When I install lag tools or VPN tools which would connect my system closer, etc (I use Zero Tier One) the whole system freezes and requires a reinstall of Windows. So my plan is this: Build a cheap server with enough horsepower to be a gaming pc with the option to stream and play decently at 1080p (I'd like 1080p, 60FPS in games like Destiny 2).

So below I just need some suggestions as for what I can do:

1. I need a server (hopefully 2U) recommendation (I like Dell, but would be willing to go with a Tower system if one could be had cheaply)
  2. I would like to have one OS and then be able to have users log in at the same time (1-3 users max)
  3. If unable, what is the best virtualization software which would allow me to pass through the GPU's without having issues
  4. Finally, I need to know what a good cheap (maybe second hand) GPU option would be for the server

thanks

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

Try using steam link, you can play games over an internet connection anywhere in the world. You don't need server hardware, since you'll be playing games you'd want to gaming hardware.

1 minute ago, Darpyface said:

Try using steam link, you can play games over an internet connection anywhere in the world. You don't need server hardware, since you'll be playing games you'd want to gaming hardware.

but can I use virtual machines if I can't have multiple people logged in at the same time?

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

1. Look at the dell rack workstations, there made for this use.

2. Something like microsfot vdi might work here, but depends on the exact game or program. Its made for multiple people on one system.

3. Depends on exactly what you want, but probably kvm based or esxi.

4. Do you want multiple vms on one gpu? If yes, get a grid or tesla, if no, get a gaming card that fits in the case and has needed speed.

29 minutes ago, Joseph Stacklin said:

Hey all, so I have tried Shadow PC for a while and it just is too expensive (yes I know the price is going down soon, but keep reading) and is just super laggy for me.

When I install lag tools or VPN tools which would connect my system closer, etc (I use Zero Tier One) the whole system freezes and requires a reinstall of Windows. So my plan is this: Build a cheap server with enough horsepower to be a gaming pc with the option to stream and play decently at 1080p (I'd like 1080p, 60FPS in games like Destiny 2).

So below I just need some suggestions as for what I can do:

1. I need a server (hopefully 2U) recommendation (I like Dell, but would be willing to go with a Tower system if one could be had cheaply)
  2. I would like to have one OS and then be able to have users log in at the same time (1-3 users max)
  3. If unable, what is the best virtualization software which would allow me to pass through the GPU's without having issues
  4. Finally, I need to know what a good cheap (maybe second hand) GPU option would be for the server

thanks

Check out this and the pt.2 video from craft computing.

I think what he's doing is very similar if not identical to what you're trying to do here. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Just now, BrinkGG said:

Check out this and the pt.2 video from craft computing.

I think what he's doing is very similar if not identical to what you're trying to do here. 

That's what I'm basing the idea off of but I NEED windows 10

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

1. Look at the dell rack workstations, there made for this use.

2. Something like microsfot vdi might work here, but depends on the exact game or program. Its made for multiple people on one system.

3. Depends on exactly what you want, but probably kvm based or esxi.

4. Do you want multiple vms on one gpu? If yes, get a grid or tesla, if no, get a gaming card that fits in the case and has needed speed.

Would it be better to go one system with 2-3 vm's or go for one system and a VDI-like setup?

3 minutes ago, Joseph Stacklin said:

That solution will run windows 10 if you get newer hardware

Can you use server 2019, its the same code underneath?

2 minutes ago, Joseph Stacklin said:

Would it be better to go one system with 2-3 vm's or go for one system and a VDI-like setup?

Vms normally have more overhead, so id go vdi on the same os if you don't need vms.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That solution will run windows 10 if you get newer hardware

Can you use server 2019, its the same code underneath?

Vms normally have more overhead, so id go vdi on the same os if you don't need vms.

my problem is I have never done a VDI setup. How would it work and where would I start?

2 minutes ago, Joseph Stacklin said:

my problem is I have never done a VDI setup. How would it work and where would I start?

Well cloud gaming setups aren't easy, so if you want easy, just get multiple seprate systems.

But It shouldn't be that hard, there are lots of guides to setup most vdi solutions. Id give  the ser ver 2019  a try.

1 minute ago, Joseph Stacklin said:

Then as you heard from his video, there isn't a cheap, publicly available option that I have come across unless you can get your hands on newer GRID cards or a Tesla card that support vgpu 7 or newer. :P 

https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/gpus-supported-by-vgpu.html

If you want everyone to have a desktop-like experience, then I'd recommend VMs, but I honestly haven't tried using VDI for this so I don't know what the experience is like. 

This seems to be a good cross reference article for compatibility: https://www.poppelgaard.com/nvidia-vgpu-software-v-8-0

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi.