Cheapest possible NAS solution (DIY)

Greetings (data)travellers! ?

The challenge is simple: Create a plan for building and maintaining the cheapest possible NAS solution (10tb+ storage and redundancy of your desire). I'm trying to figure this thing out myself, because I'm on a really tight budget and I'm curious to see what you'd suggest! :) have a great day/evening! 

The cheapest one? Buy an RPi Zero or similar for $10, a 10TB HDD and SATA-to-USB-adapter. Also, no redundancy, since you specified "redundancy of your desire."

It won't be good -- in fact, it'll be pretty much unusable -- but it defo will be really fucking cheap.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Grab the cheapest dual core you can find with 2-4GB ram and make sure the motherboard has enough onboard sata headers for your drives. Only use free software and secondhand parts. Most expensive parts would be three new 5TB drives in raid5 but the rest shouldnt cost more than 100 bucks together...

An old computer with sufficient SATA ports

A free OS (many are available)

Buy the drives of your choosing.

There you go. The cheapest possible NAS.

Cheapest possible usable NAS? Ras Pi 4 with OMV and a USB 3.0 HDD on your choice.

I'm running my entire house off one right now.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, emosun said:

free computer, free 1tb salvage drives from dead machines

there , can't beat free

better than free, use your brain!

Spoiler

Most computational neuroscientists tend to estimate human storage capacity somewhere between 10 terabytes and 100 terabytes, though the full spectrum of guesses ranges from 1 terabyte to 2.5 petabytes. (One terabyte is equal to about 1,000 gigabytes or about 1 million megabytes; a petabyte is about 1,000 terabytes.)

now you are a computer and have a lot of storage!

i like trains 🙂

1 minute ago, pierom_qwerty said:

now you are a computer and have a lot of storage!

i got too many bad sectors for that lol