3900x voltages

Just installed my 3900x into my old x370 motherboard and it's working fine. Not sure if I'll do any OC, if I do it'll be on a newer board. I'm cooling it with the Kraken x62 in push/pull configuration with the silent fan mode isntalled as intake on the front of my Phanteks Enthoo M Pro TG. Temps are fine, somewhere around 45 during basic workloads. However just a simple benchmark or something that makes it flex it muscles the fans ramp up to 100% and temps can reach 70.

I wonder if the stock voltages are way to high, I diidn't do any overclocking on my previous CPU (2700x) so I'm still just running stock voltages. So I'm thinking about lowering the voltages but of course I worry about stabilitiy. Anyone here with the same cpu and willing to share his or her voltages? How low can I go?

If you lower voltage, you’ll have to set a multiplier too, basically down clocking, Otherwise you’ll have instability at certain clock speeds when doing certain workloads on your pc. What x370 board are you using? 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

C6H

I'm not really gonna undervolt since I'm just planning on running on stock speeds and from what I can see the stock voltages are just way to high for stock.

They are not too high if your CPU temperature is 70

Just make sure you're on the latest BIOS and have the latest Chipset drivers installed with the Ryzen balanced power plan.

Even small decreases in voltage can affect performance.

4 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

C6H

I'm not really gonna undervolt since I'm just planning on running on stock speeds and from what I can see the stock voltages are just way to high for stock.

Nah, that’s just 3rd gen ryzen. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

4 minutes ago, Janne said:

They are not too high if your CPU temperature is 70

in BIOS the default vcore voltage is going between 1.460 and 1.482. When I was doing my OCing on my 1800x few years back 1.35 was the absolute limit

40 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Just make sure you're on the latest BIOS and have the latest Chipset drivers installed with the Ryzen balanced power plan.

Know why would you run ryzen balanced power plan? My PC is running the ‘ultimate’ power plan I believe, lol

5 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

in BIOS the default vcore voltage is going between 1.460 and 1.482. When I was doing my OCing on my 1800x few years back 1.35 was the absolute limit

I think AMD should send a pamphlet with this info with every zen 2 CPU they sell:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

16 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

for whatever reason i do not have a 'ryzen balanced powerplan' anymore, but ive been having windows issues since briefly running this SDD and Win10 OS in a different (old Intel APU) system, and im going to guess its related to that

7 minutes ago, Janne said:

I think AMD should send a pamphlet with this info with every zen 2 CPU they sell:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

This says those voltages are indeed normal. But are they necessary to be this high to reach the boost clock speeds. I wonder if it's possible to have them lower and still have the same performance.

1 minute ago, akb8812 said:

This says those voltages are indeed normal. But are they necessary to be this high to reach the boost clock speeds. I wonder if it's possible to have them lower and still have the same performance.

Probably not, i've observed that this CPU works basically like modern graphics cards, it tries to boost as high as possible with the available resources. And if temperature isn't limiting you then i really doubt lowering voltage will help. It will probably make you lose performance

20 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

Not without applying a manual overclock. 

I did play around with the voltages a bit and it appears that it hasn't had any significant impact on performance, at least not according to a few CB runs.

But OK then. Lets talk about a manual OC. Now I am planning on getting a new board soon, maybe adding an extra Strix 1080Ti (although it'll be a tight fit on the C6H at least), but if I should manage to get around 4.3 on this board on all cores then  I should be getting some epic performance over stock boost since AFAIK it's only boosting on few cores now and with newer games becoming more multi core friendly an all core OC is probably worth it.
So I'll ask again, but this time if anyone with the same setup is willing to share his or her settings as a good starting point, knowing that no two CPUs are the same when it comes to manual OC