Which graphics card to buy?

Hi guys. Newbie here to the forums. Yay!

Actually I've been here a while but I've mostly been lurking ?

So I'm planning on putting together a mid to high end gaming/streaming PC, with either a 3700X or 3900X for my processor. Still trying to decide which way to go, but the rationale for the 3900X is I run multiple android emulators and that combined with streaming is quite heavy on the cpu and I think the extra cores will be beneficial. 

I think I've decided on more or less everything else, but I'm really having trouble deciding on which graphics card to buy ??

So from local vendor (I live in South Africa) has the Red Devil 5700XT for around 570 USD, the Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+ at 610 USD, the Palit 2070 Super (Jetstream) at 630 USD. I was initially thinking of going the custom pcb 2070 super route, but I've read that those don't really offer much performance improvement if I'm not going to custom cool my card to really boost performance, so I'm not so sure now. On the higher end, the Aorus 2070 super is 820 USD, and then there's a Palit 2080 Super GameRock Premium for 855 USD.

Airflow won't be a problem at all because I'm thinking of going with the O11 Dynamic with 6 or 7 intake fans. Also, I'll probably get a high refresh rate 1080p or 1440p monitor.

What would you guys suggest? 

Red Devil, Sapphire, Palit Jetstream? Or a higher end 2070 super like the Aorus or the Strix? Or the low end 2080 super from Palit? Or if going with a 2080 super, should I just shell out some extra cash and get a card with a better pcb/cooling? Is a 2080 super just overkill for 1080p/1440p gaming? 

The current gpu market is great, but that also means it's suuuuuper difficult to make a decision, especially for a newbie to pc building like me. 

I know my question encompasses quite a large price range, but if I have to shell out some more cash for the gpu I suppose I could live with that. Any help would be much appreciated ? Thanks a million times over in advance. My brain doesn't know how to do this. 

In case you need other specs, this is what I'm thinking of so far:

CPU: 3900X/3700X

GPU: Heeeeelp me my brain is deeeeeaaaad

CPU cooler: Corsair 150i Pro 360mm

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII (x570) WiFi edition

RAM: 64GB G-Skill Trident Z Royal 3600Mhz Cl19 (I was going with looks over performance here, tbh) 

Storage: 2TB Corsair MP600 PCIe gen4.0 SSD; 8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

PSU: Corsair Hx850i (or perhaps the 750i)

Case: Lian-Li O11 Dynamic with 6-7 extra intake fans (Corsair LL120 or ML120 RBG) 3 on bottom and 3 on side maybe 1 on back still tbd

Main use would be some AAA titles, definitely lots of android VMs probably many at a time, for heavy android gaming while streaming. Perhaps some coding work as well if time allows for it. Hoping to pick up a few more languages eventually, and android/iOS emulators for coding are relatively heavy as well. 

Basically I'm aiming to have a PC I can use for years, with a possible GPU change in a couple of years. Only other upgrades will be adding more storage down the line when I need it. 

Sorry for the super long post. 

Thanks again in advance, and every piece of advice is extremely appreciated. 

12 minutes ago, s18067 said:

Hi guys. Newbie here to the forums. Yay!

Really don't need that motherboard, the $200 motherboards are just fine

Would also just do a custom water cooling loop over a 360 AIO, especially in that PC case.

Even 32GBs is pretty overkill, and you want 2 16GB sticks in that case for the most performance, can just overclock 3200mhz CL16 RAM potentially.

Likely better off with a cheaper gen 3 SSD, as then you can get more SSD storage instead if you wanted, like 660ps or something.

You can buy aftermarket RGB RAM heatsinks like these
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Glowing-Heatsink-Computer-Controller/dp/B07PGRHD1X/ref=pd_sbs_147_t_2/142-3338977-3291706?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07DLMVRRY&pd_rd_r=bdadc3b7-bac7-4b84-a1ab-66666b9f567c&pd_rd_w=zTK9h&pd_rd_wg=kNvNt&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=68MG5VJAPTFZJ1Q3CD1Q&refRID=68MG5VJAPTFZJ1Q3CD1Q&th=1

In any event, how cheap is a reference RX 5700/XT ? You can flash the bios on the non XT card to get 90-95% of the higher end model, and you can always do custom water cooling on the reference card as well.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

41 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Really don't need that motherboard... 

My budget is flexible, but somewhere in the 2500-3000 USD range, but parts here are around 1.5x US prices. 

I chose the motherboard mainly for the abundance of USB ports. I have (and am planning to buy) a large number of USB peripherals including audio interfaces, etc. Also, my headphones are the arctis pro with the dac, and that connects via USB as well, unfortunately. I'll probably be getting other peripherals as well. 

The thought of doing custom cooling is a bit too daunting for me personally, and it's also quite difficult to get custom water cooling parts here in South Africa. 

RAM... I just really like the royal. I've wanted it for a while now ? 64GB is purely because my main game for the past 2 years recently developed quite severe memory leaks, and having as much RAM as possible is preferable, even if it may be inefficient. Also I managed to find 3600 CL19 kits for cheaper than 3200 CL16 kits, which is why I chose the 3600 kit. 

Funnily enough, I can't seem to find the reference 5700XT. Also, the Red Dragon is at that price on special, so it's cheaper than all the other 5700XTs. The only cheaper one is the XFX Thicc, but just no.... ?

For the monitor, I'm thinking of getting either an 1080p or 1440p monitor at 165Hz. Seems like all the suppliers here OC their 144Hz monitors by default. 

Software-wise, I'll be running some AAA titles, multiple instances (possibly 3 or 4) of android emulation for heavy mobile games, stuff like Anno, Android Studio, IntelliJ stuff, and streaming whatever game I'm playing. 

My other question is. Does it make sense to pay 60 USD more for a low-end 2070 Super over a high-end 5700XT? Or should I at that point rather just get a high-end 2070 super? But then a low-end 2080 super on special only costs like 35 USD more than something like an Aorus 2070 super. This is where most of my confusion is ?

4 minutes ago, s18067 said:

My budget is flexible, but somewhere in the 2500-3000 USD range, but parts here are around 1.5x US prices.

USB 3.0 has plenty of bandwidth through a USB hub

Something like the Gigabyte Elite, or ASUS TUF is already really good unless you need 5gigabit or 10 gigabit networking built into the motherboard.

Looks like this site has a few kits anyways. Timing is perfect with the video LTT released today.

If not why not just get a Coolermaster H500 case? It comes with 2 200mm RGB fans and has tons of airflow.

I'd just go with a dual tower air cooler otherwise for long term reliability. Like a Scythe Fuma 2, Neptwin, or something from Be Quiet or Noctua.

https://www.loot.co.za/product/thermaltake-pacific-c360-ddc-soft-tube-water-cooling-ki/ysxc-6351-g510

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

USB 3.0 has plenty of bandwidth through a USB hub

I've tried the USB 3.0 hub route, but most of my peripherals are too bandwidth heavy if they aren't the only thing currently connected. It's a huge bummer, I know... ?

I'll have a look at those other motherboards tomorrow when I wake up, since I need to go to sleep now ?

But regarding that custom loop, that's almost twice the cost of the corsair aio here ? And it's easier for me to get a hold of the o11 dynamic than the H500p mesh, because supply of stuff here is very... Uhm.. Let's say odd. Also, I like how the o11 looks ??‍♂️

32 minutes ago, s18067 said:

My other question is. Does it make sense to pay 60 USD more for a low-end 2070 Super over a high-end 5700XT? Or should I at that point rather just get a high-end 2070 super? But then a low-end 2080 super on special only costs like 35 USD more than something like an Aorus 2070 super. This is where most of my confusion is ?

What do you think of this? 

And I really appreciate the advice ?

1 hour ago, s18067 said:

I've tried the USB 3.0 hub route, but most of my peripherals are too bandwidth heavy if they aren't the only thing currently connected. It's a huge bummer, I know... ?

I'll have a look at those other motherboards tomorrow when I wake up, since I need to go to sleep now ?

But regarding that custom loop, that's almost twice the cost of the corsair aio here ? And it's easier for me to get a hold of the o11 dynamic than the H500p mesh, because supply of stuff here is very... Uhm.. Let's say odd. Also, I like how the o11 looks ??‍♂️

What do you think of this? 

And I really appreciate the advice ?

The 2070 super is a bit faster, only matters if you want Radeon Image Sharpening to cheat out more fps in games

Or the Nitro + will just run very cool/quiet

But anywhere else the RX 5700 is a lot cheaper than a 2070 super with 80-90% of the 2070's performance.

On the modern platform you have USB 3.1 now as well

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-3-1-Type-C-Port/dp/B01M4J1DDP

Spoiler

Check out the used market. 1080ti's are listed for like 6.5k and that's before negotiation. Good deal for SA market imo 

That's an F in the profile pic

4 hours ago, Streetguru said:

The 2070 super is a bit faster, only matters if you want Radeon Image Sharpening to cheat out more fps in games

Or the Nitro + will just run very cool/quiet

But anywhere else the RX 5700 is a lot cheaper than a 2070 super with 80-90% of the 2070's performance.

On the modern platform you have USB 3.1 now as well

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-3-1-Type-C-Port/dp/B01M4J1DDP

I would get the 2070 Super if you plan on playing at 1440p and if you plan on playing at 1080p then get the 5700XT.  Greetings my South American mate!

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

6 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I would get the 2070 Super if you plan on playing at 1440p and if you plan on playing at 1080p then get the 5700XT.  Greetings my South American mate!

They're within 10% with the 5700 XT model...you just a get a nicer cooler at the same price with the Nitro+

But Cheating out more performance may be useful as well

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

They're within 10% with the 5700 XT model...you just a get a nicer cooler at the same price with the Nitro+

But Cheating out more performance may be useful as well

11 hours ago, s18067 said:

streaming

^

go with the 2070 super. you are a streamer. nvidia gpu's are better in that department. 
the palit js is actually one of the best overclocking 2070 supers. soo you have that going for ya 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

1 hour ago, hollyh88 said:

^

go with the 2070 super. you are a streamer. nvidia gpu's are better in that department. 
the palit js is actually one of the best overclocking 2070 supers. soo you have that going for ya 

You just have to drop the updated encoder into the OBS folder

Here's a quick quality test, I'll see if I can change it to save this stream or just a clip

720p 60fps 6k bitrate

https://www.twitch.tv/lordstreetguru

https://github.com/obsproject/obs-amd-encoder/releases/tag/2.6.0

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Here's a quick quality test, I'll see if I can change it to save this stream or just a clip

720p 60fps 6k bitrate

https://www.twitch.tv/lordstreetguru

still not. Nvidia gpu's top it. there is no reason to pic an amd gpu above an nvidia gpu if you stream. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

10 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

there is no reason to pic an amd gpu above an nvidia gpu if you stream. 

Keeping more money is always a good reason, and AMD has that one locked up quite nicely. Also, sufficient quality is all that is needed for streaming, not trying to get lossless-equivalent.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

12 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Good info, I've been waiting for this.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and tips. I'll think about what my options are and decide on a final build. 

Really appreciate everyone's input! ?

3 hours ago, s18067 said:

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and tips. I'll think about what my options are and decide on a final build. 

Really appreciate everyone's input! ?

Go on passmark gpu value chart. Start from the top and go down until you find a card priced and performing high enough.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.