What would be better? Less cores at higher speeds or more at a lower speed?

I am pretty much stuck on the FX 6300 for the time being and clearly bottle necked by my gtx 1060. I have been able to achieve a steady 4.6 GHZ overclock by disabling "cores" 5-6. I have also been able to get a steady OC of 4.2GHZ on all cores. Which is better for stuff like gaming? Obviously it depends on the game but a general best case scenario would be what?

For gaming, in general its speed over cores, but with a chip as old and poor as the FX6300, it wont help much in the long run either way. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Modern games you are better of with more cores in most cases. Clock speed still counts as well, but games are being more threaded these days.

Older games in the other hand, you are better of with fewer cores and higher clock as older games are not so thread depending and more clock depended. 

Games generally perform better with fewer faster cores. 4 cores is still pretty much the sweet spot for gaming with some high end titles really starting to utilize more.

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

For gaming, in general its speed over cores, but with a chip as old and poor as the FX6300, it wont help much in the long run either way. 

So disable "cores" 5-6 and go back to my 4.6ghz then?

1 minute ago, diamondarrow67 said:

It won't really matter too much with the fx. There will be games that love the extra cores and there will be those that like the higher speeds.

5 minutes ago, diamondarrow67 said:

no... you wont really gain any benefit. The best benefit is to ditch that old platform thats horrible in modern standards and games. Nothing will fix your issues beyond that. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

no... you wont really gain any benefit. The best benefit is to ditch that old platform thats horrible in modern standards and games. Nothing will fix your issues beyond that. 

I am pretty much stuck with it, believe me once I scrape the money together I am ditching this platform. I just worked out a deal with my friend that he is giving me an i7 6700k and mobo. had to call in a few favors. just need to score some ram

7 minutes ago, diamondarrow67 said:

I am pretty much stuck with it, believe me once I scrape the money together I am ditching this platform. I just worked out a deal with my friend that he is giving me an i7 6700k and mobo. had to call in a few favors. just need to score some ram

For how much the 6700k and the mobo?

31 minutes ago, diamondarrow67 said:

Better be no more than $150 for the whole thing. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304