Glasses Ad

MoodieOrange

Has any one used those blue light blocking glasses that LTT got sponsored by recently. Was looking to buy some but i don't want to spend that much if they are just as good as the cheap ones

Pretty sure it's a gimmick. The part about blue light in the evening making it harder to sleep is the only thing that has evidence to it, everything else (headaches, eye strain, whatever) is equal parts of the nocebo effect and a meme. Calm down folks, witnessing a clear sky is not harmful

As for sleep, you can solve that by turning on blue light filters after sunset. It's a feature every modern OS has. Your choice of lightbulbs might also cause an issue, but changing those is probably more rational than wearing filtered glasses. That is, if you even have trouble sleeping

It's an industry wide scam. The science and medical community actually suggest that it can be counter productive and harm cognitive function and sleep patterns. Humans have existed for hundreds of thousands of years looking at blue light, we can do it now! The argument of "well we never looked at screens so much" is moot, since back then, we were outside way more. Which, you know, blasts you with all kinds of blue light. If anything, we're likely exposed to far less than what people were back in the day working and traveling outdoors.

That said, there's an argument to be made that looking at high levels of blue light during unnatural times (when the sun is down) can lead to sleeplessness. Turn on your phone or laptop's night mode and you'll fix that. No glasses required. 

https://www.popsci.com/blue-light-blocking-glasses-science/

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

7 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

It's an industry wide scam. The science and medical community actually suggest that it can be counter productive and harm cognitive function and sleep patterns.

I think that's going too far. There is quite a lot of research looking at eye strain and blue light. The problem is, it's very hard to conduct a randomized control trial looking at causation between blue light and eye health.

Now the glasses part is just people trying to sell things. Period. As long as there are people concerned about anything there will always be people trying to find and sell a solution to the problem. 

I would turn to this article on the AAO website which quotes:

"The best way to protect your eyes against eye strain from blue light in devices is to take regular breaks using the "20-20-20" rule: 

Skip the glasses that claim to protect your eyes against blue light, because of a lack of evidence they are effective, Dr. Khurana advises. The Academy does not recommend any special eyewear for computer use. "

I would also argue that there is no evidence saying it could hurt your eyes as well. So if you feel like you're on the computer late at night and don't feel like changing your monitor settings everytime you boot up and changing it back in the morning. I could see a use for these glasses. Especially if they're dirt cheap. As a person with very bad eyes, I'm interested on the future research in this area but will probably skip glasses until more information comes out.

Source here : https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/should-you-be-worried-about-blue-light

Edited by GRock