Hackers Successfully Rooted Google Glass And It Only Took A Few Hours

Jozi

Jay “Saurik” Freeman, a well-known hacker in the iOS and Android community, has reported that his developer’s Google Glass has been successfully ‘rooted’.

The news of Freeman’s success in hacking Google’s latest consumer hardware comes just a few days after another hacker, Liam McLoughlin, also claimed to have cracked the Glass’ OS. 

According to Freeman, it took him about two hours while eating dinner with his friends to find the Glass’ exploit. 

Screen-Shot-2013-04-26-at-7_37_16-PM.png

“It took me two hours while I was having dinner with friends at the time,” he reported to Forbes.  “The implementation from B1inary is for normal Android tablets and phones, I learned how it worked and then did the same thing on Glass… which was quite simple.”

Having the ability to root the Google Glass could open up new possibilities to owners, especially in regards to protecting one’s privacy.  For people who want to store their data locally, instead on Google’s cloud server, rooting their headsets may enable that option.  Moreover, rooting may also allow the Glass to swap hands, since Google has specifically stated that if a Glass owner tries to sell the early test unit the device will be “bricked” and no longer functional.

A consumer-ready version of Glass is expected to debut some time in 2014, so it’s possible that Freeman’s exploit on the dev model may not be applicable for the consumer product.  Still, Google tend to be more flexible than Apple in that it will allow people and OEMs to gain root access—per the proper consent of course.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

What a legend! I hope to be like him one day :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Wow that was fast! I wonder what new features can we add onto the device after its rooted?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Wow that was fast! I wonder what new features can we add onto the device after its rooted?

X-ray vision B)

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit