How do you tell how good a power supply is?

AndreiArgeanu

What are the ways to see what the quality of a power supply is? Like for example how did you choose a power supply before reviews were popular? 

Absent reviews or the ability to open up the units to inspect the components inside, you basically just go off of brand value and recommendations from other people. But fortunately, we're not in the dark ages anymore and there is plenty of information out there about a vast number of PSUs that you can peruse before you buy.

If you can’t find out anything about a PSU there’s always the warranty.  There are PSUs with 10 and 12 year warranties these days.  Reviews may lie about quality and name brand may be worthless but the people that made the thing know what’s inside it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If you can’t find out anything about a PSU there’s always the warranty

Well, a warranty won't cover anything the PSU takes with it when it dies

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If you can’t find out anything about a PSU there’s always the warranty.

But you don't want the cheap generic power supply to take your entire computer down along with it as well, and the power supply can kill the entire pc.

If you can't find out anything about the psu you are about to buy then don't buy it. 

True, but a company will go bankrupt if it has to keep warranty replacing their product.  It’s not your pocketbook you’re betting on its theirs.  You may burn but they’ll burn with you.

i didn’t say it was a perfect solution, or even a very good one.  Previous answers were better.  This one only applies if you’re standing in a B&M store, have to buy something NOW, and have no way to check anything out.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

But you don't want the cheap generic power supply to take your entire computer down along with it as well, and the power supply can kill the entire pc.

If you can't find out anything about the psu you are about to buy then don't buy it. 

Oh I very much agree.  It’s not a first line choice.  Cheap generic power supplies generally don’t have long warranties.  That’s the point.  The makers can’t afford to keep replacing them.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

True, but a company will go bankrupt if it has to keep warranty replacing their product.  It’s not your pocketbook you’re betting on its theirs.  You may burn but they’ll burn with you.

i didn’t say it was a perfect solution, or even a very good one.  Previous answers were better.  This one only applies if you’re standing in a B&M store, have to buy something NOW, and have no way to check anything out.

JohnnyGuru has a list of recommended power supply

and

On here also has a list of good power supply too. You just get the power supply listed on Tier 1 and Tier 2 lists.

If the place doesn't have the power supply listed on Johnny recommended list or on here forum Tier 1 and Tier 2 lists then I will not going ahead and grab some low quality power supply because it is not worth the trouble of destroying my computer. Rushing to build a rig is no good.

14 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

JohnnyGuru has a list of recommended power supply

and

On here also has a list of good power supply too. You just get the power supply listed on Tier 1 and Tier 2 lists.

If the place doesn't have the power supply listed on Johnny recommended list or on here forum Tier 1 and Tier 2 lists then I will not going ahead and grab some low quality power supply because it is not worth the trouble of destroying my computer. Rushing to build a rig is no good.

Another better solution.  Warranty is not a front line choice, it’s a last line choice.  Research is better.

13 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Well, a warranty won't cover anything the PSU takes with it when it dies

Half true statement.  Every company has it's own policies regarding what is covered by the warranty.

But to reinforce what everyone said; there are a lot of buyer's guides here, and independent review sites that walk through protections and components inside the PSU.  Choosing a reputable company with a good track record in most cases adds some reassurance when making a purchase.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/