How and Where to install Windows on an Intel Optane Bundled Motherboard - ASUS PRIME z390-A/H10

noldor

Hello

I got the motherbaord model ASUS PRIME Z390-A/H10.. so the motherboard is bundled with two pre-installed SSD modules for the advertised Intel Optane feature. One 32GB and one 512GB .. what ı understand from what an optane memory is, i am supposed to install the operating system (windows) on 32 GB disk, right??.. but here is the thing..  the tech guy who built the PC told me to install it on 512GB one and told me it will automatically optimize itself to use 32GB part somehow.. that didn't sound very much reliable to me.. .. anyone has any idea about this?? should I install OS on 32GB or 512GB ... will the optane memory thing work if i install it on 512 ??

Optane is a cache drive, it is not an independent SSD.

That's why it sucks, because you don't get to choose what goes on it.

Also, if you already have a 512GB SSD you justwasted a bunch of money on Optane.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's why it sucks, because you don't get to choose what goes on it.

Also, if you already have a 512GB SSD you justwasted a bunch of money on Optane.

I didn't have any SSDs.. and did'nt buy any with this one.. The motherboard is already bundled with 2 seperate SSDs.. i see different pysical disks on BIOS one 32Gb one 512 GB..

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Optane m.2 drives are just normal nvme drives. Intel lets you use their caching software on them, but they will work like any other nvme drive and you can put windows on it if you really want. But for OPs use, id just flip it on ebay.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Optane m.2 drives are just normal nvme drives. Intel lets you use their caching software on them, but they will work like any other nvme drive and you can put windows on it if you really want. But for OPs use, id just flip it on ebay.

32GB won't be anough for windows because of updates and packages.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

i see.. maybe i can find some way to make windows use that 32GB disk as its system reserved partition thing.. or GAC cache or anything else useful..

1 hour ago, noldor said:

i see.. maybe i can find some way to make windows use that 32GB disk as its system reserved partition thing.. or GAC cache or anything else useful..

Do you have other drives? You can cache anouther hdd.