Trying an iPhone for the first time

ntb3

I am thinking about getting an iPhone for the first time, and am looking to see peoples thoughts on which iPhone makes the most sense for me. I want a phone for the next 1-2 years at which point I will probably switch again as 5G will be something that is useful (I live in a city so I should within a few years 5G will be a thing for me). I will probably go for a used one or refurbished one. Size of phones is kinda give and take for me, I like big screens but also like having a phone that is 1 hand-able, so for the most part I lean towards smaller ones because of cost. (Also gaming performance differences? I don't game but riot games is coming out with some mobile games which i will be obligated to play because of how much money I have given to them).

Current thoughts:

Everything 6s and older is too old and gonna be a bad/"unfair" representation of what an iPhone is. (tell me if you disagree on this)

So what are peoples thoughts on 7 vs 8 vs X vs XR vs 11 or other? I really want to get something that is representative of what an iPhone is without spending a lot of money.

Other thing:

Don't care about notch

If the camera takes good pictures, thats good enough

I do want something that can game (games like the new league game and the league card game and maybe some of the new nintendo games)

Good battery life is a plus, and wireless charging is meh (I never use if even though I have a phone with wireless charging and have a wireless charger)

Get the iPhone 11 and skip the 1st gen of 5G or you can sign up for Apple upgrade program and pay a monthly fee. When the new phone is here can trade it with your old one.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

23 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Get the iPhone 11 and skip the 1st gen of 5G or you can sign up for Apple upgrade program and pay a monthly fee. When the new phone is here can trade it with your old one.

I feel like that doesn't make a lot of sense for me, new phones lose a shit ton of value in there first year (this is true for even iphones, XR is worth like 450 used, so lost 300 dollars in value in 1 year). Maybe ill skip the "1st gen" of 5G but we will see, im one of the few people who could actually use a 5G phone rn, so with in a year it may be good enough for me personally. Obviously I will reevaluate that when that time comes, nevertheless i would want to have a phone that I can give up at that point if i decide I want a 5G phone. Also signing up fo the apple upgrade program makes 0 sense for me, if you read my title "Trying an iPhone for the first time" I am really not the kind of person that wants to be trapped into getting iPhones and spending tons of money.

Edit: just looked at the apple upgrade program, which does seem like something that could work for someone looking to upgrade in a year, though it still makes 0 sense for me.

3 hours ago, ntb3 said:

I feel like that doesn't make a lot of sense for me, new phones lose a shit ton of value in there first year (this is true for even iphones, XR is worth like 450 used, so lost 300 dollars in value in 1 year). Maybe ill skip the "1st gen" of 5G but we will see, im one of the few people who could actually use a 5G phone rn, so with in a year it may be good enough for me personally. Obviously I will reevaluate that when that time comes, nevertheless i would want to have a phone that I can give up at that point if i decide I want a 5G phone. Also signing up fo the apple upgrade program makes 0 sense for me, if you read my title "Trying an iPhone for the first time" I am really not the kind of person that wants to be trapped into getting iPhones and spending tons of money.

Edit: just looked at the apple upgrade program, which does seem like something that could work for someone looking to upgrade in a year, though it still makes 0 sense for me.

My suggest for the Apple upgrade program was because you wanted to get an 5G phone next year or so. Why not just use what you have now, and get the iPhone with it has 5G.

BTW what 5G phone are you using right now?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

9 hours ago, ntb3 said:

I am thinking about getting an iPhone for the first time, and am looking to see peoples thoughts on which iPhone makes the most sense for me. I want a phone for the next 1-2 years at which point I will probably switch again as 5G will be something that is useful (I live in a city so I should within a few years 5G will be a thing for me). I will probably go for a used one or refurbished one. Size of phones is kinda give and take for me, I like big screens but also like having a phone that is 1 hand-able, so for the most part I lean towards smaller ones because of cost. (Also gaming performance differences? I don't game but riot games is coming out with some mobile games which i will be obligated to play because of how much money I have given to them).

Current thoughts:

Everything 6s and older is too old and gonna be a bad/"unfair" representation of what an iPhone is. (tell me if you disagree on this)

So what are peoples thoughts on 7 vs 8 vs X vs XR vs 11 or other? I really want to get something that is representative of what an iPhone is without spending a lot of money.

Other thing:

Don't care about notch

If the camera takes good pictures, thats good enough

I do want something that can game (games like the new league game and the league card game and maybe some of the new nintendo games)

Good battery life is a plus, and wireless charging is meh (I never use if even though I have a phone with wireless charging and have a wireless charger)

I'll echo Numlock, if you can wait patiently, Apple is guaranteed to make a 5g phone either next model, or the one after (probably the 12). Then you can get the flagship model with 5g and you wont have to worry about upgrading, and it'll honestly last you. I've been very impressed with the longevity of my friends iphones, which is partially what made me get an 11 pro max. I would upgrade if next years models 5g offers an amazing step up and there is coverage around me, but ill probably wait 2+ years for it

Can you explain what good battery life means to you? For me, i use my phone pretty intensely, so i sprung for the best battery life i could get. Good battery life for someone who uses apps that use less power might find different phones to have good battery life that i'd not.

20 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

My suggest for the Apple upgrade program was because you wanted to get an 5G phone next year or so. Why not just use what you have now, and get the iPhone with it has 5G.

BTW what 5G phone are you using right now?

Never said I had a 5G phone, I just said I live in an area that already has some 5G service, so unlike most people getting a 5G phone would make sense in about a year. Also my engineering hall has a few 5G hotspot for testing that we us in the research areas.