Domain Networks

ZFarnworth

The problem with Active directory domains is that Linus does not have one @LinusTech i think that you should have a Active Directory domain so that all of your staff can have roaming profiles to have all of their stuff on every computer with their own login username and password with a server room like yours i think that this would be brilliant for you and  for all your staff 

why would you want to shoot yourself in to thte foot and make your own life miserable... its a nightmare manage a add

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

im only 12 years old and i have my own add at home for fun 

2 minutes ago, nextg3n said:

why would you want to shoot yourself in to thte foot and make your own life miserable... its a nightmare manage a add

Ive only just joined 

2 hours ago, ZFarnworth said:

Ive only just joined 

you manage it for yourself and family i presume... try it with 40 members of staff, every1 with different rights, assingments, roles... its just a nightmare to manage and it swallows alot of time... 

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

12 hours ago, ZFarnworth said:

The problem with Active directory domains is that Linus does not have one @LinusTech i think that you should have a Active Directory domain so that all of your staff can have roaming profiles to have all of their stuff on every computer with their own login username and password with a server room like yours i think that this would be brilliant for you and  for all your staff 

Firstly they would need two servers or at least 2 VM's on 2 diffrent servers acting as DC. Because if your DC goes down and you only have one, your fucked on being able to log in. Then you have to think about the cost of the Server OS. The time it would take to set up active directory. I did a MS Server 2003 course a long ass time ago and it would take some doing. Even with 40 people. Setting up active directory could be a pain, because normally you set most permissions in the group. BUT you generally set AD up in accordance to the hirearchy of the company. At least thats what I learned back when I took the Server 2003 course. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 hours ago, ZFarnworth said:

Have you ever used roaming profiles? Its a pain. Don't use it normally. It makes logins and lougouts slow and can cause issues if programs aren't the same version. Use redirectred users normally.

Using AD is probably a good idea, but Im not there IT, so I'm gonna comment. We also don't know what there full setup is either.

true i use roaming profiles there ok but not that great mixed with windows 7 and windows 10 but yes i agree 

Im working at a company in traveling branch with 360 local staff and 700 foreign coworkers, microsoft AD ist the best option for us. Our software developers work with radhat linux and with ad authentication. You can use kerberos authentication method to log into youre ad account.

You can also join your domain without any problems.

You can manage your /home/ profiles if you mount a network path to /home/ on your filesystem.