Can Lapping Reduce Cooler Contact?

If I were to lap my cpu IHS and the surface of the cooler I have, when putting everything back together, wouldn't the tightness of the cooler against the processor be lessened because the surfaces have been worn down? Or would turning the screws tighter fix that?

The amount of material you take off shouldn't be significant and be covered other variations in manufacturing tolerances. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

if you are taking off enough material that mourning pressure is a problem you are lapping waaaaaay to deep

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, porina said:

The amount of material you take off shouldn't be significant and be covered other variations in manufacturing tolerances. 

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

if you are taking off enough material that mourning pressure is a problem you are lapping waaaaaay to deep

I was pretty sure everything would be fine, I'm just way too paranoid about breaking things. I want to buy one of the new Ryzen 7 CPUs, and want to try some experiments on the CPU I'm giving up, a Ryzen 5 2600X. The cooler I have is a Corsair H150i Pro RGB.

Before you start lapping, you should check if the IHS is actually not flat.
If it is flat, you have no reason to lap it

1 minute ago, Devryd said:

Before you start lapping, you should check if the IHS is actually not flat.
If it is flat, you have no reason to lap it

What is the best way to check that?

you can put it on a straight surface, e.g. a glass pane with the IHS facing down.
Now try to spin it. If it spins easily, the IHS is warped outwards(?) in the middle.
If it doesnt spin, use a razor blade and hold the edge on the IHS. If there is a gap anywhere, it is not flat.

Sorry for the bad explanation, I am writing from Germany and I am not really sure, how to propably write what i mean.

16 minutes ago, Devryd said:

you can put it on a straight surface, e.g. a glass pane with the IHS facing down.
Now try to spin it. If it spins easily, the IHS is warped outwards(?) in the middle.
If it doesnt spin, use a razor blade and hold the edge on the IHS. If there is a gap anywhere, it is not flat.

Sorry for the bad explanation, I am writing from Germany and I am not really sure, how to propably write what i mean.

The explanation was actually pretty good, thanks for the effort. I will definitely try these things before ever considering lapping. Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Devryd said:

do you know how the lapping itself works?

Yes. I need to have an incredibly flat surface, such as a small pane of glass, and several sheets of sandpaper. Starting with a lower grit like 500 or so, I remove the top, nickel-plated layer of my CPU heat spreader. Then I move to a finer and finer grit until I reach 3000-5000 depending on how polished I want it to be. Wet sanding can also be done, which apparently helps in achieving a slightly smoother surface. Did I get everything right?

i would start with something like 120 and only go up to about 1000
Maybe check out the vidoe DerBauer made. He is a german overclocker and Youtuber. His videos are in english and german and he did some testing on it.