Computer Chair Rant

Skipple

I'll never understand spending $1000-1500 on a balling gaming PC only to have your ass and back ache in a $75 chair.

Any chair you buy from staples or Ikea or any cheaper chair online retailer if going to be absolutely garbage. Your back and butt will get sore after 1-3 hours. Don't get me started on "gaming" chairs.

Craigslist or Marketplace is full of businesses that are selling their old assets. Chairs from companies like Herman Miller, Steelcase, Humanscale. There chairs will cost about $1000 retail but you can pick them up for 100-200 second hand. Same price as what you would pay for a mid range shitty poo poo chair.

The ones from these companies are made to be sat in for 8+ hours a day. It's amazing the difference you can feel.

Do your ass a favor. Get a good chair. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Smallest. Rant. Ever. The rant was incomplete at the time of posting, disregard that statement!

To add unto this rant; 'gaming chairs' are just 60 dollar chairs with some red and black accent, worse seating area and a 300% markup. Biggest scam ever.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

Smallest. Rant. Ever.

To add unto this rant; 'gaming chairs' are just 60 dollar chairs with some red and black accent, worse seating area and a 300% markup. Biggest scam ever.

Sorry, I hit "enter" in the wrong place apparently and it posted my topic before I finished typing. It's a fully completed thought now!

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

2 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Do your ass a favor. Get a good chair.

If you want to do your ass a favor, stop sitting and actually use it. I have an $800 Steelcase chair, but no chair, no matter how expensive, works your glutes while you are sitting in it.

I've had Ikea's Markus for like the better part of a decade. If you want comfort you want an ergonomic office chair, that usually will cost $1000+, not any kind of gaming chair

This. We use Herman Miller aeron's at work (audio studio/mastering suite) and I love them, Got one for myself for 400 pounds, Cheaper than some "gaming" chair's and god it feels like you're floating.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

I have a ~$80 ikea chair and quite like it.  It's simple and functional and I can comfortably sit for hours at a time, but I don't necessarily see being able to go all day as a good thing.  For health reasons you definitely want to stand up and do something every few hours at the least anyway.  Definitely agree with the overall sentiment though.  You don't want something uncomfortable and you don't want to pay more for a gaming chair when you could either just save your money for something that'll work as well (or better), or pay the same and get something genuinely good.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'll never understand people who think that everyone can afford to spend over a thousand dollars on a chair ;)

Sure, some of us can, but really, if you're not sitting in it for hours upon hours a day, why bother? Most days I spend maybe 3 hours on my PC. At most 5. The $90 chair I got (albeit on sale, but still, it was only $100 off) is plenty comfortable for that amount of time. Maybe your body is just falling apart? ? It wouldn't make any sense at all for me to spend almost as much as the PC would cost on a chair. You know what I do spend money on? $50 a month to go to the gym. Which greatly outweighs what the chair would do.

I'm going to assume you're rather immature though and perhaps lack a little life experience given your "poo poo" comment.

I haven't seen those chairs priced that low unless they're in extremely bad, and frankly disgusting condition. Not something I'd pay money for.
Not every locale has the same Facebook or Craigslist market you do.

Gaming chairs, well, they're obviously not ergonomic, and the high priced ones are ridiculous, but they're not terrible in terms of comfort.
Worth the money? No. But not terribly uncomfortable.

40 minutes ago, minibois said:

Smallest. Rant. Ever.

They're not a scam; calling them that is incredibly disingenuous. Most things in the world have a massive mark up.

You see it, you get it, that's your choice. No one's scamming you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

38 minutes ago, agneum said:

I've had Ikea's Markus for like the better part of a decade.

Have had mine for about 2 years now, super comfortable chair! Highly recommended.

Was able to get it at a really good price of 90 euros too.

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They're not a scam; calling them that is incredibly disingenuous. Most things in the world have a massive mark up.

You see it, you get it, that's your choice. No one's scamming you.

Alright.. A sham?

They portray themselves as being super comfortable, high performance, whatever and often are not (IMO of course).

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Maybe your body is just falling apart? ?

Would be fitting with the Spooktober we're having right now!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Skipple said:

I'll never understand spending $1000-1500 on a balling gaming PC only to have your ass and back ache in a $75 chair.

I'm not totally sure where you're getting these numbers from, most gaming chairs are in the $300-600 range.

Some of them in my experience are totally worth it, like the Maxnomic chairs that have all the adjustments (including lumbar) and are designed to be comfortable for sitting in, not just to look like a racing seat.  Unfortunately it can be hard to tell on Amazon or wherever between the gaming chairs that are all flash and the ones that offer good value for your money. Ultimately like everything else you just need to try it in person somehow.

42 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'll never understand people who think that everyone can afford to spend over a thousand dollars on a chair ;)

Sure, some of us can, but really, if you're not sitting in it for hours upon hours a day, why bother? Most days I spend maybe 3 hours on my PC. At most 5. The $90 chair I got (albeit on sale, but still, it was only $100 off) is plenty comfortable for that amount of time. Maybe your body is just falling apart? ? It wouldn't make any sense at all for me to spend almost as much as the PC would cost on a chair.

My point was that you can get FAR greater value buying secondhand reputable brand. I'm not suggesting to spend $500-1000 on a chair, far from it.

You know what I do spend money on? $50 a month to go to the gym. Which greatly outweighs what the chair would do.

Cool, not the point though. 

41 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not every locale has the same Facebook or Craigslist market you do.

Fair. I'm in a small-size urban market but I see deals all the time. 

I'm going to assume you're rather immature though and perhaps lack a little life experience given your "poo poo" comment.

Just trying to flair up my post a bit with a bit of humor but alright. 

All in all, not sure what the overt aggressiveness is about. 

ask me about my homelab

20 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I'm not totally sure where you're getting these numbers from, most gaming chairs are in the $300-600 range.

I was more referring to the plethora of big-box store and cheap Amazon computer chairs I see people using. Perhaps just my own experience? 

image.png.9106962159b8f3b2789a42d1b6156034.png

ask me about my homelab

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Alright.. A sham?

They portray themselves as being super comfortable, high performance, whatever and often are not (IMO of course).

Would be fitting with the Spooktober we're having right now!

Comfort isn't something you can really say is or isn't true, because while it might not be true for you, it might be true to someone else. It's entirely a personal bias metric. High performance, well, if you fall for that in a chair, I don't really know what to say...

53 minutes ago, Skipple said:

My point was that you can get FAR greater value buying secondhand reputable brand. I'm not suggesting to spend $500-1000 on a chair, far from it.

Cool, not the point though. 

Fair. I'm in a small-size urban market but I see deals all the time. 

Just trying to flair up my post a bit with a bit of humor but alright. 

All in all, not sure what the overt aggressiveness is about. 

Might be able to get those deals second hand. I've lived in 3 major cities over my lifetime, and none of them had great deals on chairs. Ever.

Generally after the 5 years it takes to depreciate an office chair, it's not really worth much...and you'd be better off buying a less expensive, but same price ergonomic chair, such as the Massdrop chair, or something from Autonomous. They're about the same price you quoted for the very used office chairs.

Different takes on humor I guess, I find comments like that more childish than anything *shrug*

Not sure why you took that as aggressive, when it really wasn't.

38 minutes ago, Skipple said:

I was more referring to the plethora of big-box store and cheap Amazon computer chairs I see people using. Perhaps just my own experience? 

image.png.9106962159b8f3b2789a42d1b6156034.png

More than likely. How many of the cheaper chairs have you tried?

The one I have is similar to this:

Spoiler

image.png.b6da8a91ef2f5b2155fa3783f7d1f741.png

And does the job quite nicely.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red