should i buy a switch

dreamcast4599
Go to solution Solved by fuzz0r,

I'd say get one if you're planning on playing some of the exclusive titles.

Otherwise there really isn't much point in my opionion?

i need some advice i have a ryzen 2700/rx5700 gaming pc as well as a ps4 pro is it really worth it to get a nintendo switch if most of the games out for it i.e. doom the witcher 3 etc are already out on the ps4 and or pc?

if so why

im just kinda feeling lost lol i mean its kinda like i didnt buy an xbox because both gears of war and cuphead was gonna be released on the pc just so you guys have an idea where im coming from

i haven't seen you list a reason you need one .... so the answer is no

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

i haven't seen you list a reason you need one .... so the answer is no

i dont need one but it would be cool to have

I'd say get one if you're planning on playing some of the exclusive titles.

Otherwise there really isn't much point in my opionion?

Doesn't sound like you need one, unless you want to play some exclusives like mario kart, smash bros, BOTW, etc. 

I personally love mine because I travel a lot for work. I have an xbox one x and I play the Switch more. I like laying in bed next to the wife playing.

Your PS4 has the better controller, better library of games (unless you want nintendo exclusives), performance is better, and graphics are better. 

RTX 2080 Founders Edition | Ryzen 7 2700x

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTX ALL the things!

• 2 weeks later...

Three reasons to buy a Switch:

1) The exclusives. There are some really cool Japanese games like Astral Chain that are only available on the Switch, plus the handful of good games that were on the Wii U like Bayonetta 2. It seems like the Switch has become the new Vita for cool 3rd party handheld games. They also have their 1st party stuff as well but those don't interest me personally.

2) You want to play certain games on the go but still be able to play at home on a big screen. Okay, this one has a big caveat.

I honestly only see this as a real benefit, for playing the Switch exclusives or for someone without a PC or console. Why? Well....

My reasoning for this is because the experiences of multiplats are just too compromised as a primary experience. Sure, you can grind the Witcher 3 on the go and it looks great for a handheld game but once you get home and dock it, the experience pales in comparison to a console or PC. I'd rather have a slightly compromised mobile experience by just streaming from the PS4, XBox One, or PC to a mobile device or laptop to grind on the go and then have the full, often 4k experience, once I get home. Basically, I would rather have a superior big screen experience than a handheld one.

I don't really see owning a multiplat on the Switch if you own it on a different platform either. Okay, maybe you love playing Doom on your PC and you want to play it on the go. I'd rather just play it when I'm at home and play some other Swtich exclusive while on the go.

This is why I think the Switch really needed a companion console like the PS4 and Vita situation. I love being able to just stream a game from my PS4 to the Vita while on the go to get tedious grinding out of the way or a second playthough of something while trophy hunting, but then be able to play the game in its full glory so to speak on the PS4 when I got home. I can do the same thing with the One as well but with a mobile device or laptop.

If you didn't like streaming, a good number of games had Vita and PS4 versions that you could transfer data between. That way you could have the best possible handheld experience but still get to play the game on your console when you got home. I really liked that setup.

Hopefully, Nintendo will release a console in the future to go along with the Switch to mimic such an experience but it looks like they won't be making a console next generation either. It's hard to believe we live in a world without a Nintendo console...

3) The modding. Last I heard, the exploit had already been patched to run homebrew but if you can get a Switch running the older firmware or when someone inevitably breaks it again, you can run homebrew on it. Honestly, this is a very compelling reason to buy a Switch for me. There are a lot of older games that I would love to peck away at while on the go. With such a large screen (despite only being 720p) and the control scheme and button layout it has, it entices me way more than even many of the Android alternatives that seek to be an emulation powerhouse in a handheld form factor.

So there are three reasons to buy one which may or may not entice you.

13 hours ago, Linugirl said:

Switch Lite is a much better option, portable and cheap and can play some exclusives like pokemon, mario kart, smash bros, BOTW, etc.

Not having the ability to dock kills it for me. I only see this as a better option for someone on an extremely tight budget without their own TV or an extremely garbage one that isn't even worth hooking up to.

I can maybe see it as a second Switch to use strictly for traveling when you need the extra battery life.

1 hour ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

3) The modding. Last I heard, the exploit had already been patched to run homebrew but if you can get a Switch running the older firmware or when someone inevitably breaks it again, you can run homebrew on it. Honestly, this is a very compelling reason to buy a Switch for me. There are a lot of older games that I would love to peck away at while on the go. With such a large screen (despite only being 720p) and the control scheme and button layout it has, it entices me way more than even many of the Android alternatives that seek to be an emulation powerhouse in a handheld form factor.

If you have a Switch manufactured before July 2018 I think it can play anything and the current firmware is cracked AFAIK if you have one of those exploitable units.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If you have a Switch manufactured before July 2018 I think it can play anything and the current firmware is cracked AFAIK if you have one of those exploitable units.

Good to know. I guess I'll be buying a used unit when I buy one.

I didn't realize it was fixed via a hardware revision and not a firmware update. I haven't been following the Switch modding scene at all really so thanks for the info!

32 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Good to know. I guess I'll be buying a used unit when I buy one.

I didn't realize it was fixed via a hardware revision and not a firmware update. I haven't been following the Switch modding scene at all really so thanks for the info!

Look on gbatemp's Switch forum to see which serials can be exploited. It's a hardware bug in the Tegra X1 that can't be fixed in software.