Aspect Ratio

Jeans

What's with the new aspect ratio on the videos? Other tech channels are using it too. Kinda annoying on cropped phones

18:9 (or 2:1) and it has been super terrible for a couple months now.

On fullscreen 16:9 (you know, like most people have) it gives you letterboxing on fullscreen..

This has been talked about before, but I don't believe we got an official answer:

Thankfully those people with an 18:9 screen can see LTT videos on fullscreen (with a notch added).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

On fullscreen 16:9 (you know, like most people have) it gives you letterboxing on fullscreen..

Hadn't noticed this. I watch windowed most of the time, on a 16:10 monitor. As long as they're not baking in the black borders, but that's another problem...

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Thankfully those people with an 18:9 screen can see LTT videos on fullscreen (with a notch added).

I just looked up my Pixel 3a, which I knew was wider than 16:9 and it kinda annoyed me since the game I play most is optimised for 16:9. Turns out it is 18.5:9 so would be perfect here, if I ever used it for LTT videos.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Hadn't noticed this. I watch windowed most of the time, on a 16:10 monitor. As long as they're not baking in the black borders, but that's another problem...

I just looked up my Pixel 3a, which I knew was wider than 16:9 and it kinda annoyed me since the game I play most is optimised for 16:9. Turns out it is 18.5:9 so would be perfect here, if I ever used it for LTT videos.

Thankfully they do make the aspect ratio weird in a correct way.

Although.. That does mean if you are watching an 18:9 LTT video and they insert a clip from a 16:9 video (like an older LTT video, trailer for some product.. whatever) that suddenly means on a 16:9 display at fullscreen, you suddenly don't just have letterboxing, but also pillarboxing.

I find it kind of annoying this aspect ratio, in certain LTT videos (the vlog style ones) it always feel like I am missing some detail in the video..

This is something I mostly notice in the vlog style videos, because in the other videos, they are probably properly framing the shots so this doesn't happen.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, minibois said:

This has been talked about before, but I don't believe we got an official answer:

No notch on the G6 ;) Also I don't mind the move, better to have top and bottom blackbars than side ones imo

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

No notch on the G6 ;) Also I don't mind the move, better to have top and bottom blackbars than side ones imo

G6..?

Like LG, Motorola or..?

Either way, I would prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio, not only because I have a 16:9 screen... But even on a 18:9 screen I would like it more, as I said before, I often feel like I am losing some height.

47 minutes ago, minibois said:

G6..?

Like LG, Motorola or..?

Either way, I would prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio, not only because I have a 16:9 screen... But even on a 18:9 screen I would like it more, as I said before, I often feel like I am losing some height.

LG G6, 18:9 screen with no notch. I dont mind much either way with the aspect but LTT have said they are not going back and i think the top and bottom bars are less annoying than the side ones, you already get the top and bottom ones with movies to an even greater extent.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016