Should I replace my PSU?

kshiragawa

Hello,

I'm planning on upgrading my Motherboard/CPU/RAM, that I've had for over 7 years, in the next month or two.The current PSU I have now is a Corsair HX 850 watt  that I've had for a little over 8 years with it being out of warranty for over a year now, had 7 year warranty. There is currently nothing wrong with it, it's working perfectly fine and haven't had an issues with it. My question is, should I also get a new PSU and not risk it dying on me and possibly taking some components with it? Or just keep using it until it reaches the end of it's lifespan, which was my original plan until I started thinking about it. 

I know what Mobo/CPU/RAM I'm going to get, so I had an estimate of how much I was going to spend. If I do decide to get a new PSU I would probably need to downgrade my CPU and/or Motherboard so I can have enough money for it. So I'm not sure if I should just go with the components I originally planned and not upgrade to a new PSU yet (will prob be a couple of months) or get a new PSU and change my originally planned CPU/Mobo. 

8 minutes ago, kshiragawa said:

I know what Mobo/CPU/RAM I'm going to get, so I had an estimate of how much I was going to spend. If I do decide to get a new PSU I would probably need to downgrade my CPU and/or Motherboard so I can have enough money for it. 

Or you could save an extra day or so. Even a poor paying job can get new PSU money in a short amount of time.

11 minutes ago, kshiragawa said:

I know what Mobo/CPU/RAM I'm going to get

What's your current list and what is your budget/country? also what do you use the PC for, and what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Hard to say, the only real thing that can go wrong is the capacitors, as they will wear out from age alone.

Your PSU is rated at 100,000 hours (mean time between failures).

Even if you kept the system on 24/7 you would only be looking at about 70,000 hours of up time for 8 years. So you could still consider the PSU usable.

I don;t really start worrying about PSU's of that quality until around the 10 year mark. Though, I typically purchase new PSU's for new builds. 

If I were in your situation, I would just roll with the HX 850.  Moments like this are part of why you purchased that kind of quality to begin with.  Don't be afraid to use it.

47 minutes ago, kshiragawa said:

The current PSU I have now is a Corsair HX 850 watt  that I've had for a little over 8 years with it being out of warranty for over a year now, had 7 year warranty.

The blue label HX850 "Professional Series" 80+ Silver PSU?

I have the HX750 of that series. Used it for about 8-9 years until I replaced it last year.
They were quite good units back in the day, but nothing lasts forever.

47 minutes ago, kshiragawa said:

I know what Mobo/CPU/RAM I'm going to get, so I had an estimate of how much I was going to spend. If I do decide to get a new PSU I would probably need to downgrade my CPU and/or Motherboard so I can have enough money for it. So I'm not sure if I should just go with the components I originally planned and not upgrade to a new PSU yet (will prob be a couple of months) or get a new PSU and change my originally planned CPU/Mobo. 

What system are you planning on buying? If you're upgrading your hardware it's a good time to replace the PSU as well, especially if we're talking about such an old unit.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

40 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What's your current list and what is your budget/country? also what do you use the PC for, and what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

I have $1k USD set aside for the parts. Planing on getting Ryzen 3900x, Asus crosshair VIII hero motherboard and 16gb G.Skill trident Z neo. Planning on using this for video editing as well as gaming/streaming. I'll be running 1440p 144hz. 

3 minutes ago, kshiragawa said:

I have $1k USD set aside for the parts. Planing on getting Ryzen 3900x, Asus crosshair VIII hero motherboard and 16gb G.Skill trident Z neo. Planning on using this for video editing as well as gaming/streaming. I'll be running 1440p 144hz.

Which graphics card will you be using?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

21 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The blue label HX850 "Professional Series" 80+ Silver PSU?

Yup that's the one. 

23 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What system are you planning on buying? If you're upgrading your hardware it's a good time to replace the PSU as well, especially if we're talking about such an old unit.

Planing on getting Ryzen 3900x, Asus crosshair VIII hero motherboard and 16gb G.Skill trident Z neo. 

6 minutes ago, kshiragawa said:

The $200 motherboards are perfectly fine, unless you really need 2.5-10 gigabit ethernet.

And 3200mhz CL16 RAM is pretty fast already, no need to spend so much on RAM either. or there's some 3600mhz CL16 kits as well that were cheap before they were all sold out.

More than likely buy a new PSU for the system anyways.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Which graphics card will you be using?

Using a 1080ti

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The $200 motherboards are perfectly fine, unless you really need 2.5-10 gigabit ethernet.

And 3200mhz CL16 RAM is pretty fast already, no need to spend so much on RAM either. or there's some 3600mhz CL16 kits as well that were cheap before they were all sold out.

More than likely buy a new PSU for the system anyways.

Wouldn't that mobo be best for OC results? Or will I not see that much of a difference if I go a cheaper mobo? 

If I do spend less on the motherboard and ram that seems like a better plan. 

Just now, kshiragawa said:

Wouldn't that mobo be best for OC results? Or will I not see that much of a difference if I go a cheaper mobo? 

If I do spend less on the motherboard and ram that seems like a better plan. 

Even the X570 Prime can run the 12 core without much issue.

The really high end boards are more for Chiller/Ln2 overclocking, or the better built in networking, but then 5gigabit expansion cards aren't too much

And this channel is dedicated to overclocking
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ/videos

Spoiler