Earphone/IEM Recommendations?

zarrexx

Recently I lost my Sennheiser IE80 which I've had for the better part of 5 years, and I loved them. I was hoping to buy them again but unfortunately they're discontinued and I've looked everywhere around me.

I am looking for a new pair of IEMs/Earphones but I'm not sure what to buy, so looking for some recommendations.

I'm looking for:

1. Excellent Soundstage (most important)

2. Good Bass

3. Good clarity in lows/mids/highs (I listen to a high variety of music).

4. Similar/better quality to the IE80 that I had previously.

Budget can be anything, but if possible could I have a few from different price points. I was looking at the Shure 425 but the reviews for the Shure 846 caught my attention (not sure if worth the price), but I would preferably like to spend ~400 euro. I heard the Shure 425 don't have good bass so I'm lost on what to get.

Thanks.

moon drop blessing, fiio FH5, moondrop kanas pro, and moonsdrop KXXS , as well as BLON o3 if you want a nice cheapo quick backup IEM that sounds great just need a cable change as well as better tips

On 10/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, rice guru said:

moon drop blessing, fiio FH5, moondrop kanas pro, and moonsdrop KXXS , as well as BLON o3 if you want a nice cheapo quick backup IEM that sounds great just need a cable change as well as better tips

+1 to the moondrop blessing. I absolutely love those things to bits.
KXXS is nice but not not quite as good as the blessings.

Ikko oh10 is also a decent option

Video reviews: https://youtube.com/goldensound Written reviews and measurements: https://goldensound.audio
Current Main Setup: Roon -> HQPlayer -> Intel NUC -> Intona 7055-C Isolator -> Holo Audio May KTE DAC-> Holo Serene KTE preamp -> Benchmark AHB2 / Woo WA33
Most used headphones: Hifiman Susvara, Abyss 1266 Phi TC, Sennheiser HD800-S

On 10/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, rice guru said:

How would the Fiio FH7 and FA7 compare to the Senhheiser IE80 in terms of Bass and Soundstage?

26 minutes ago, zarrexx said:

How would the Fiio FH7 and FA7 compare to the Senhheiser IE80 in terms of Bass and Soundstage?

personally I think both overall beter IEMs the IE80 isn't very good for the price or in general at least to my ears. its too sharp and too bassy and overally not very enjoyable. the FH7is a better headphone overall V shaped so nice an warm and bassy but has more tasteful sounding not less just has better tonality than the ie 80 while and the highs are nicer and smoother but very present not overly sharp and clinical like the ie80's thats coming from the guy that like sharp headphones. the FA7 is the weaker of the 2 nice bass but the rest of the frequency response is kinda boring and flat. if you want that sort of sound signature I would go with the FH5 instead. 

3 hours ago, zarrexx said:

What about the updated version, the IE80 S?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

5 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

What about the updated version, the IE80 S?

Sound a bit better like soundstage wise but basically sounds the same.

10 hours ago, rice guru said:

Sound a bit better like soundstage wise but basically sounds the same.

I originally bought the IE80 for 180 euro which is  considerably cheaper than the new IE80S, but I've seen reviews that say the IE80S is worse in terms of sound quality.

How does the soundstage compare from the IE80 and Fiio FH7 and Moondrop Blessings from someone who listened to all of them? It's quite important for me, I like really open sounding earphones like my IE80 were.

Also how do the Fiio FH7 compare to the shure se846?

On 10/12/2019 at 3:21 PM, zarrexx said:

Recently I lost my Sennheiser IE80 which I've had for the better part of 5 years, and I loved them. I was hoping to buy them again but unfortunately they're discontinued and I've looked everywhere around me.

I am looking for a new pair of IEMs/Earphones but I'm not sure what to buy, so looking for some recommendations.

I'm looking for:

1. Excellent Soundstage (most important)

2. Good Bass

3. Good clarity in lows/mids/highs (I listen to a high variety of music).

4. Similar/better quality to the IE80 that I had previously.

Budget can be anything, but if possible could I have a few from different price points. I was looking at the Shure 425 but the reviews for the Shure 846 caught my attention (not sure if worth the price), but I would preferably like to spend ~400 euro. I heard the Shure 425 don't have good bass so I'm lost on what to get.

Thanks.

Campfire audio Andromeda's? Pretty expensive, but you did say any budget ;)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

5 hours ago, zarrexx said:

I originally bought the IE80 for 180 euro which is  considerably cheaper than the new IE80S, but I've seen reviews that say the IE80S is worse in terms of sound quality.

How does the soundstage compare from the IE80 and Fiio FH7 and Moondrop Blessings from someone who listened to all of them? It's quite important for me, I like really open sounding earphones like my IE80 were.

Also how do the Fiio FH7 compare to the shure se846?

I don't own or have any on hand to compare all that I have are when I tried them back when I was into getting more expensive IEMS. soundstage wise I remember the blessings to be the widestout of the 3. but the widest soundstage I have heard as of recently are the BVGP DM6 which are actually quite nice for the price. 

On 10/16/2019 at 12:28 AM, rice guru said:

I don't own or have any on hand to compare all that I have are when I tried them back when I was into getting more expensive IEMS. soundstage wise I remember the blessings to be the widestout of the 3. but the widest soundstage I have heard as of recently are the BVGP DM6 which are actually quite nice for the price. 

I've decided to go with the FH7's, do you know if you require an amp to run them? Or can I just play music from my phone in them?

10 minutes ago, zarrexx said:

I've decided to go with the FH7's, do you know if you require an amp to run them? Or can I just play music from my phone in them?

your phone should be fine its just an IEM but they would benefit from an amp

SE 846 is very sensitive to input impedance so you’ll need to use an iPhone dongle or DAP with it

i’d recommend you getting a custom tips for it especially if you do long travels with it

2 minutes ago, xtroria said:

SE 846 is very sensitive to input impedance so you’ll need to use an iPhone dongle or DAP with it

i’d recommend you getting a custom tips for it especially if you do long travels with it

he said he will be getting the FH7

• 2 months later...

How did you find the fh7 in the end? I’m also looking for an upgrade to my ie80 and not sure exactly what to go for. My shortlist is currently:

- Sony xba n3
- Sony z5
- Rhapsodio RDB mk 4
- earsonics the velvet
- harmony/fxa7
- audiosense t800
- TFZ no. 3
- moondrop blessing 2 (was told these will have much more low-end than the current blessing)
- fiio fh7

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 7:00 PM, shonik09 said:

How did you find the fh7 in the end? I’m also looking for an upgrade to my ie80 and not sure exactly what to go for. My shortlist is currently:

- Sony xba n3
- Sony z5
- Rhapsodio RDB mk 4
- earsonics the velvet
- harmony/fxa7
- audiosense t800
- TFZ no. 3
- moondrop blessing 2 (was told these will have much more low-end than the current blessing)
- fiio fh7

I would definitely recommend the FH7s. All around excellent IEMs