Can you find USB speakers with no other wire?

Like, no 3,5 jack to plug in in addition to the USB cable?

I'm trying to mimic Linus' setup: 

But it doesn't have speakers. So I need speakers that work with USB only to plug them directly to the USB-hub. Any idea that's not too pricey?

you can get a stereo pair of bluetooth speakers and then simply connect them via a Bluetooth dongle (or maybe your Mobo already has BT)

Thats even less cables

Also corsair makes some ok USB Stuff,

Best in class is Nubert NuPro X

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Get a USB sound card, for example : https://www.newegg.com/creative-sound-blaster-play-3/p/N82E16829102100?Description=sound card&cm_re=sound_card-_-29-102-100-_-Product

Either glue (or use some adhesive velcro or some zip tie)  the usb card to the back of the speakers, or hide it inside the speaker. (use one or two small stereo-stereo extension cables to connect sound card to speaker input)

Get a long USB cable and connect sound card to PC.

Just now, mariushm said:

Get a USB sound card, for example : https://www.newegg.com/creative-sound-blaster-play-3/p/N82E16829102100?Description=sound card&cm_re=sound_card-_-29-102-100-_-Product

Either glue (or use some adhesive velcro or some zip tie)  the usb card to the back of the speakers, or hide it inside the speaker. (use one or two small stereo-stereo extension cables to connect sound card to speaker input)

Get a long USB cable and connect sound card to PC.

nice! 

BUt dont expect HiFI lol

The sound card means another thing to buy! I think I'll stick with Andrew's suggestion, it sounds decent, does it not?

They'll work, but the output power will be fairly low.

As they're powered from USB, you're looking at 5v and 0.9A or ~ 4.5 watts.

Assuming a 90% efficiency, you're looking at 2w per speaker.

If you want more power, you'll need speakers powered from a separate power supply or one with internal switching power supply.

If the speakers have barrel jack input for power, what you can do is get some cable sleeve and wrap the DC cable and the audi cable or USB cable in sleeve so that it looks like a single cable. A bit of black heatshrink can lock the sleeve at both ends

Here's some examples of sleeve: https://www.digikey.com/short/pnqrtb

If the speakers have AC input going in them, that's a bit more dangerous to mess with. You could open the speakers to figure out what DC voltage is the internal power supply generating and you can buy a separate power adapter to produce that voltage (for example 18..24v) and connect this dc voltage directly to the output of the original power supply inside the speakers. 

The cable that brings DC voltage in the speakers can be thinner and it's safe to hide inside sleeve with the audio cable.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

As they're powered from USB, you're looking at 5v and 0.9A or ~ 4.5 watts.

Assuming a 90% efficiency, you're looking at 2w per speaker

I have no idea what that represents in the real world. I just see numbers hah. But I'l not someone who loves really noisy stuff, so it shouldn't matter, it'll still be usable and decent, right?

5 hours ago, 7412 said:

I have no idea what that represents in the real world. I just see numbers hah. But I'l not someone who loves really noisy stuff, so it shouldn't matter, it'll still be usable and decent, right?

Put it simple: for music they sound like shit. Sorry to say this but yehayyy.

For 100$ we can make you a decent pair of USB powered speakers with dedicated power in

15 hours ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Logitech S150 USB Stereo Speakers

The only issue is they are very basic speakers, but for audio output they work.

image.thumb.png.fb6161ff4055d88f06f20b09cabe720b.png

I thought that said "Logitech $150" and i saw the photo and crapped myself.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

9 hours ago, 7412 said:

4.5 watts is a measure of power, most headphones run on way less then a watt, usually 0.1 to 0.5 watts, but some speaker's need 1000's of watts to get loud. Basically speaker's powered by USB wont get very loud, if the drivers aren't terribly in-efficient, the speaker's might get about as loud as 85Db, so they might get as loud as traffic in a city, but because the DAC needs power, these will probably get about as loud as 80Db, which is slightly louder then a washing machine.

image.png.f9efde40e4b3bf808728e24363e5c8e1.png

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

13 hours ago, 7412 said:

For volume, quite possibly it will be enough.  But I suspect any solution like this will seriously lack bass, since it takes a lot more power to make bass than treble, at least the way humans hear it, and that is something you will definitely notice and might not be ok with.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

They seem loud enough. I think if you guys are a bit perfectionist, this seems more than enough for average use, no?

2 hours ago, 7412 said:

They seem loud enough. I think if you guys are a bit perfectionist, this seems more than enough for average use, no?

These guys aren't perfectionists they just care about sound quality. If you don't care too much about quality and just want to stuff to look clean and produce sound then you should be fine with those but if you care about quality and look clean you. Have to suffer through a lot of time cable managing

2 hours ago, 7412 said:

After giving the video a listenyeah all they pretty much do is produce sound with no depth like no bass at all. And ends up sounding tinny. It's easy to make things loud , but it requires more power and a bigger chassis to make things sound good.