Notebook for mechanical engineering

Hi, I'm looking for a Notebook since I just begin this university course.

I can't spend more than 1500 euros and I can use some university discount here and there. I live in Italy btw

Other than the usual office stuff I think the most demanding programs I'll be using are Inventor, SolidEdge, SolidWorks and maybe some other 3D modelling softwares like Catia or Rhino.

At the beginning I was thinking about a MacBook Pro but looks like even the 1600 euros 13' with 256gb is too little in capacity to hold those programs in BootCamp.

Do you agree on this point? Would a Mac be a complete nonsense?

I'm looking for some pieces of advice since I can't really get me out from this situation and I need it asap.

More infos: I own a Xiaomi mi9T, a built desktop PC with 4690K and R9280X and I travel by train with everything, lunch included, in my backpack, so no gaming monsters, also because I like a little bit of stilish design.

Thank you so much

Thinkpad X1E2

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, _namenick_ said:

<snip>

Just don't buy a new ThinkPad, here's why:

Spoiler

Recently, I bought two P1 Gen 2 laptops (pretty much the same as the X1E Gen 2) and one of them had a defective keyboard. That's completely unacceptable on a $2000 business laptop. Aside from that, battery life was also terrible (I was getting like 6 hours) and the materials just didn't feel expensive. Lenovo's quality control is garbage and you should avoid buying modern ThinkPads. On top of that, Lenovo's customer service is trash (they have a 1.7 star rating on Google) and the laptop's shipment was delayed like two weeks.

I returned both of them and bought a MacBook Pro 13" instead (it was actually cheaper than the P1 Gen 2) and I'm completely satisfied with that decision.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

10 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Thinkpad X1E2

3 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Just don't buy a new ThinkPad, here's why:

Hide contents

Recently, I bought two P1 Gen 2 laptops (pretty much the same as the X1E Gen 2) and one of them had a defective keyboard. That's completely unacceptable on a $2000 business laptop. Aside from that, battery life was also terrible (I was getting like 6 hours) and the materials just didn't feel expensive. Lenovo's quality control is garbage and you should avoid buying modern ThinkPads. On top of that, Lenovo's customer service is trash (they have a 1.7 star rating on Google) and the laptop's shipment was delayed like two weeks.

I returned both of them and bought a MacBook Pro 13" instead (it was actually cheaper than the P1 Gen 2) and I'm completely satisfied with that decision.

Second Generation X1 here costs more than €1700... So it's too much

8 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

If rendering speed and gpu acceleration isn’t a massive issue, really any basic laptop these days will have no trouble with those programs. And there’s a big gap between a mobile quadcore and igpu, and a mobile 6+ core and gaming oriented gpu, and then an even bigger one for a Quadro Which would be ideal

Look into your everyday consumer laptop with top end specs for its line, lots of stuff out there with mobile i7’s and mobile GTX 1050’s that would be within budget and decently powerful

or look into business laptops with more professional features like entry level mobile quadros or high resolution displays

I thought giving a decent amount of budget would have made the chosen one lasting at least my five years of University, for example a Dell XPS15 with i7 and gtx1650 which is a tiny bit less than €1400 here with my student discount

1 minute ago, _namenick_ said:

Second Generation X1 here costs more than €1700... So it's too much

I thought giving a decent amount of budget would have made the chosen one lasting at least my five years of University, for example a Dell XPS15 with i7 and gtx1650 which is a tiny bit less than €1400 here with my student discount

If you don't want a Thinkpad get a Surface Laptop 2.

Don't get a Macbook unless you need MacOS.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

That would be a very good choice, the XPS line is meant to bridge that gap of professional and home use. It’s not going to be as fast at some gpu intensive workloads in the software lineup you want to use as say, a mobile Dell precision with a quadro, but it’ll still perform very well. And at maybe 1000 eurobux cheaper.

I think a Quadro would be too much. I'll do mostly basic things and solids in the main courses, but I'm trying to get into the motorsport teams so there I would probably have to design more complicated pieces in CAD programs. Hope that XPS like spec and price combination is good and reasonable improvement from the casual/usual €800 laptop, tell me if it isn't.

Eurobux made me laugh, never heard that before

7 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you don't want a Thinkpad get a Surface Laptop 2.

Don't get a Macbook unless you need MacOS.

Surface Laptop is about the same price as the XPS but lacks the dedicated GPU and 256gb of storage... Do you think it's a good deal anyway? Don't see the point sorry

11 hours ago, Genwyn said:

It definitely will, solidworks loooooves gpu tasks in particular, and the 1650 will be a drastic improvement over igpu HD 620/630 or going full cpu bound rendering.

Probably still not as good as a Quadro, which a lot of those programs are heavily optimized for, but still very good.

I like using bongbux for British pounds as well, or roobux for Australian dollars

burgerbux to make fun of my own country

Eurobux still the most neutral then

I would think about a Quadro maybe when I get a job and I specifically know what I Need to use.

If anyone gas other bang for the bux option I'll gladly see every suggestion