Ivy Bridge vs. Haswell

I have read that the Intel Core i7 4770k's performance is not significantly better than the i7 3770k. 

Is this true?

i7-4770K is about 10% better than i7-3770K. It's true, not a significant difference. It's why many people with Ivy Bridge do not upgrade to Haswell due to spending money on a new processor + a new motherboard.

Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.1 GHz and 1.120 V | Stock Cooler <--- This will change soon. | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 | EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB ACX Superclocked | Crucial M4 128 GB Solid State Drive | Western Digital WD Blue 500 GB Hard Disk Drive | Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower Case | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard | Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze Power Supply | HP 24x DVD Burner | LG 24x DVD Burner | Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard | Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse | Rocketfish Gaming Mousepad | Samsung SyncMaster S27B350 27" Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Speaker System | Turtle Beach PX21 Headset | 

i7-4770K is about 10% better than i7-3770K. It's true, not a significant difference. It's why many people with Ivy Bridge do not upgrade to Haswell due to spending money on a new processor + a new motherboard.

Dont forget that Haswell also saves more power yet it runs hot and OC's to crap, while Ivy runs much cooler and overclocks WWAAAYYYYY better. 

Many Computers

Very Smart

Wow

Dont forget that Haswell also saves more power yet it runs hot and OC's to crap, while Ivy runs much cooler and overclocks WWAAAYYYYY better. 

So for overclocking Ivy is cheaper and better(cooler and more overclock)? 

Yep, but for sandy its even better

Many Computers

Very Smart

Wow

Most Ivys are doing 4.5GHz and HW's 4.2GHz there performance at those clocks are equal. The point is you have to be lucky with Ivy's to get more than 4.5GHz same goes for HW so you're just better off placing your bet on Haswell. Haswells at 4.6GHz are just god.

clock to clock : Haswelll better by 10% because of higher IPC
better overclocker : Ivy bridge but haswell covers it up by its more IPC
better thermal stability : Ivy bridge but not so much as both of them are not soldered with the IHS
better power saving : Haswell besause the FIVR is moved inside the cpu die which helps the cpu cores to idle at very low volts
better memory controller : Haswell

if you are planing on upgrading from ivy to haswell, the gains just are not worth the money, however if you are planing a new build i would go with haswell because there is really no reason not to get the new chip as it is a bit faster. Haswell chips are harder to overclock high than ivy bridge in my experiences. I could have gotten a mediocre chip though .

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Get Hasswel!

It saves you power and its faster. Yes most of them OC like shit but they are already 10% faster than Ivy. So a (more) OCed Ivy  will not be as fast as a (less) OCed Hasswel.

Allso the Z87 Chipset is faster in tasks like USB and SATA data transfer.

if you are planing on upgrading from ivy to haswell, the gains just are not worth the money, however if you are planing a new build i would go with haswell because there is really no reason not to get the new chip as it is a bit faster. Haswell chips are harder to overclock high than ivy bridge in my experiences. I could have gotten a mediocre chip though .

clock to clock : Haswelll better by 10% because of higher IPC

better overclocker : Ivy bridge but haswell covers it up by its more IPC

better thermal stability : Ivy bridge but not so much as both of them are not soldered with the IHS

better power saving : Haswell besause the FIVR is moved inside the cpu die which helps the cpu cores to idle at very low volts

better memory controller : Haswell

Yep, but for sandy its even better

Comparing the i5-3570K and i5-4670K using Passmark's aggregated total results, these two chips at the exact same clock are 7.4003% apart in score. That means the IPC advantage of the Haswell amounts to 7.4003%.

Now, an Ivy Bridge CPU typically (from my experience) overclocks at least 10%~15% better. Thus, IMO, Ivy Bridge is strictly better for overclockers as they exhibit better end performance.

Sandy Bridge vs. Ivy Bridge however, the difference in IPC and overclocking headroom seem to be completely even. 6% and 5% respectively.

That makes Ivy Bridge the sweet spot for overclockers to me, as the final performance is on average quite a bit better than Haswell and marginally better than Sandy Bridge.

However, there are other things to consider, such as motherboard/ chipset selection, and if those things matter to you then it may not be all straight forward.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

faster in tasks like USB and SATA data transfer.

I hope you realize that LGA 1150 and LGA 1155 use the exact same SATA and USB implementations 

Many Computers

Very Smart

Wow

I concur Sir and the name IvyBridge sound like some space ages intergalactic highway while haswell sounds like the name of a cold or virus.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I concur Sir and the name IvyBridge sound like some space ages intergalactic highway while haswell sounds like the name of a cold or virus.

Well, Skylake sound the most badass

Many Computers

Very Smart

Wow

I chose haswell simply to be as up to date as possible with both cpu and mobo. I dont like buying older generations when theres a newer available, despite performance differences. I did manage a 4.5 Ghz OC on my 4670k though so im content.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi