HDD Durability

Zelatrix

I have a desktop that sits under my desk, and it has a HDD in it with all my data on it, apart from the OS. My computer tower gets bumped occasionally when I'm getting out from under my desk, and I know that vibration is bad for hard drives. So, I wanted to know whether this would have any immediate negative effects on my hard drive, or just shorten its lifespan, but not by a noticeable amount of time. 

download software like CrystalDiskInfo.

It will populate all the SMART data of your drive, and it will also have ability to alert you if the drive is almost pure doo doo based on SMART data.

It can be. The read/write head hovers nanometers (yes, nanometers!) over the platters, so there isn't much margin for external shocks. You might bump it the wrong way in the future and the head crashes into the platter, which is pretty much a KO for your drive, and getting it recovered is awfully expensive, with no guarantee of a compete recovery.

Perhaps be more careful when getting out from your desk, or move the tower out a little bit so you don't bump it. HDDs don't have a fragile logo on them for no reason.

HDD read write heads glide over the magnetic platters via a special surface coating.  A strong enough shock could potentially cause the head to scratch the surface which can destroy the drive.  It's hard to say how hard of a shock is necessary to destroy a drive but in general we would advise against any sort.  While a drive is off however, it can take a little bit of a beating.  

2 hours ago, xentropa said:

HDD read write heads glide over the magnetic platters via a special surface coating.  A strong enough shock could potentially cause the head to scratch the surface which can destroy the drive.  It's hard to say how hard of a shock is necessary to destroy a drive but in general we would advise against any sort.  While a drive is off however, it can take a little bit of a beating.  

No, the heads do NOT glide over a special coating on the platters. A thin gap is maintained between the heads and the platters. A thin film of air is often used to ensure the heads do not contact the platters. Any contact between the heads and the platters WILL damage the surface of the platter.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!