Hardcore windows fan tries MacOS, the experience.

aaradorn

Alright guys, I did it, I bought a MacBook pro 13 inch (ca. 33 cm) base model, I got a fairly big discount at the store, from 1500 to 1050. I love the build quality and adore the battery, so far no Windows laptop has come close to it.

It's been a hard couple of days but I prefer macOS over windows now (as far as laptops go). I still have my own gaming system, build early this year, and I still play video games daily but now every time that I go on the road my windows laptop stays at home.

My experience so far is:

macOS:

The installation was a breeze, and hey it didn't ask me for ads on a system that I bought, it also didn't ask me 4 different times to share my data and it didn't hide the LOCAL ACCOUNT from me.  I started it up and it was a struggle, but it's worth it, so many things that seemed so obvious but weren't included are on this macbook. My one big downside is: It can't game for shit.

Windows: 

You start the installation with a long loading time, and then it's gonna ask you some questions, do you want the ads to be relevant? I don't even want ads. Do you want to share the basic data or all data with windows? I don't want to share anything with them. Do you want to login with your email account? (small letters in the bottom: Local account, yet it still asks you as much as possible to switch to an email account) after all of that is done you do get a solid Operating system and it can game like there is no tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for windows because I love to game but if apple ever gets close to the same support for games I'm switching. I want my computer to be mine and not share anything with anyone. So far I will never completely switch over to Apple, I love my gaming system and never want to get rid of it, and I do not care for iPhones, although the iPad's are still one of the best tablet devices that I and my grandmother has ever seen, I tried Samsung and didn't care for it, gave it to my grandmother, and she couldn't find anything. Then she bought herself a iPad, and she has actually been using it. It's incredibly easy for her.

I hope windows stops with this crap and gives you true and solid options, not try to hide everything behind screens. 

I'm still on Win7, and aside from MS killing support, I have no reason to switch to Win10. They seem to ruin every single update they do and try to pull a whole bunch of tracking and privacy invasion crap. I'd complain more about auto-updates, but Win7 does it too. The difference is that so far I haven't seen any Win7 updates that broke a whole bunch of programs and other features. My buddy is an electrical engineer and the company all uses Win10, and after some forced auto-update the program they use for designs or something just doesn't work now. So they'll have fun meeting that deadline.

I wouldn't switch to Mac because I still don't like how the base OS operates, but outside of high school where it annoyed the shit out of me I haven't had extensive use of it. It's also very closed loop. If anything I would use Linux of some sort, but then I'd have to still learn an entirely new OS.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

I'm still on Win7, and aside from MS killing support, I have no reason to switch to Win10. They seem to ruin every single update they do and try to pull a whole bunch of tracking and privacy invasion crap. I'd complain more about auto-updates, but Win7 does it too. The difference is that so far I haven't seen any Win7 updates that broke a whole bunch of programs and other features. My buddy is an electrical engineer and the company all uses Win10, and after some forced auto-update the program they use for designs or something just doesn't work now. So they'll have fun meeting that deadline.

I wouldn't switch to Mac because I still don't like how the base OS operates, but outside of high school where it annoyed the shit out of me I haven't had extensive use of it. It's also very closed loop. If anything I would use Linux of some sort, but then I'd have to still learn an entirely new OS.

I can fully agree with you, every new update from windows 10 seems to brake something, a couple of weeks ago we updated to a new version and it removed all the printer settings, this wouldnt be such a bad issue except everyone is mobile all the time in our company, I had to make a shitload of appointments to get it fixed. (GPO wouldnt work in our company)

I would love to have a linux laptop but right now it just doesnt have the support and can be quite frustrating to use. Steam is pushing for more linux support but they can push as hard as they can but not everyone is as fast or willing. Lets not forget the fact that drivers are slower to be released for linux (if there even are any)

4 hours ago, aaradorn said:

I can fully agree with you, every new update from windows 10 seems to brake something, a couple of weeks ago we updated to a new version and it removed all the printer settings, this wouldnt be such a bad issue except everyone is mobile all the time in our company, I had to make a shitload of appointments to get it fixed. (GPO wouldnt work in our company)

I would love to have a linux laptop but right now it just doesnt have the support and can be quite frustrating to use. Steam is pushing for more linux support but they can push as hard as they can but not everyone is as fast or willing. Lets not forget the fact that drivers are slower to be released for linux (if there even are any)

I don't know how much validity there is to it, but I've heard that Linux is getting bigger as people don't like Win10. Even still Win7 and Win10 are near tied in installed and used OS. I'll only swap to Win10 when I'm forced to. Outside of program breaking updates, intrusive ads, privacy and security concerns, and arbitrarily cutting support for modern hardware, there's not a lot else Win10 has to offer me over Win7, other than better window snapping and triple monitor support.

#Muricaparrotgang

• 3 weeks later...

I use MacOSX in my vocational class and as far as productivity goes I love MacOS. It is very pleasing to the eye and also very snappy. But, as most people do, I prefer Windows hands down to Mac. In a perfect world we could get the look and feel of Mac with the utility and support of Windows.  

On 10/24/2019 at 5:46 PM, Lot Qahnaarin said:

I use MacOSX in my vocational class and as far as productivity goes I love MacOS. It is very pleasing to the eye and also very snappy. But, as most people do, I prefer Windows hands down to Mac. In a perfect world we could get the look and feel of Mac with the utility and support of Windows.  

This would be the best thing, sadly it will never happen.