Occasionally no signal to monitors

LandoGriffin

Hi guys,

my PC has been having this issue for a pretty long while now and I have no clue what's causing it:

Sometimes when starting my PC both monitors say "no signal", I have to shut it down by holding down the power button and then retry. Sometimes the issue is resolved and everything works like it should, sometimes the same issue reoccurs and sometimes only one monitor gets a signal. I have no idea whats wrong here. At first I thought the cables were faulty so I plugged them out and in again and replaced one Display Port cable with HDMI, which worked fine at first but then the issue came back. I don't think the monitors are at fault here; I think it's something with the PC. 

Also sometimes the left monitor doesnt respond to my mouse clicks, this happens either after starting the PC or after quitting a game. For example: I quit out of CSGO, the monitor gets black for a second or so and then the left monitor doesnt detect my mouse input anymore. I always update the GPU drivers with GForce Experience. Everythings very strange ....and annoying af. Can somebody figure out what might be going on ? Thx

My system:

Windows 10 Pro

AsRock H170m Pro4S Motherboard

intel i5-6600k@3,5 GHZ

16GB DDR4-RAM

Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1060 6GB

450 Watt Superflower PSU  (HX Series)

Monitors:

Acer XF240H usually @144HZ , but currently @120HZ (run with HDMI cable)

Asus VP247H @60hz DVI

I also tried plugging only one monitor in but didn't resolve the issue either :/

by your description sounds to me like ur gpu might on its last legs, the threads? maybe isnt the correct term they seem to done for, since like you said after the reboot when the gpu has gotten warm it starts to send signal, also ur PSU seems to be from an unknown brand and 450 w with a 6600k seems optimistic, i hope for your own benefit that its a weak psu and gpu cant get enough juice to function properly otherwise the gpu swap is gonna get expensive, if i were in your place id try a different psu(like 600w corsair) or sth...   i may be mistaken, good luck

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

Back when I started planning this PC I put everything in a psu calculator and it said 450 watt would be perfectly fine. 

But as you said hopefully it's not the GPU :D is there any way to test the PSU and GPU ?

like nextg3n said it could be either gpu or psu...but id look at the psu first. 

• 1 year later...

I am having the same issue, have you got any solution?

generally as I see this, windows doesn't like having monitors running at different hz and then using different cable types on top of it, it gets confused and things glitch out until restart...

Also I know its old but SuperFlower is not 'some unknown brand' lol. 

Also 450w seems fine and this is either a driver, windows or cable issue - likely a combination of these three things. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity