Cat Cable pricing

Chaftalie

After reading the Post Home Networking i've asked myself what the pricing for different CAT cables is in your place?

(I am talking about installation cables)

Prices are for 100m of cable and without Tax (We have 20%)

Cat 5e                     27.52€      30.19 USD

Cat 6                       27.15€      29.78 USD

Cat 6a                     26.00€      28.52 USD

Cat7                        27.50€      30.17 USD

Cat7a    1200Mhz   40.00€      43.88 USD

Cat7a    1500Mhz   44.86€      49.81 USD

I'm a little confused by what you're looking for. Are you asking for what prices can we find bulk network cable in 100m spools?

Yep, because everytime I see someone ask wheter he should use CAT5e or something better (Or when I see  people who say that you should use CAT6A if you can afford it)

I think that Cat6a or even Cat 7 is cheaper then CAT5e.

Now my Question is, is that phenomen of the better cable being nearly the same price or even cheaper only in Europe or anywhere else too?

And I do not see 100m of installation cable as bulk because you actually need a lot more for networking for a whole home if you want at least two ports in several rooms

2 hours ago, Chaftalie said:

ot see 100m of installation cable as bulk because you actually need a lot more for networking for a whole home if you want at least two ports in several rooms

Ive seen stores sell it as bulk. To me if it doesnt have RJ45 ends attached, Id consider it builk. Plus most people are not going to have a 100m run. As that is the longest it can be, and truthfully at that distance it may not work if you have shit cabling. Also consider what kind of cabling it is. Full copper or copper clad aluminum. The lather being cheaper. 

2 hours ago, Chaftalie said:

people who say that you should use CAT6A if you can afford it)

This is only because this type of cabling can do 10 Gbps up to 100m. So many just suggest running this, because you never know what the future may hold. There are cases where you might saturate a 1 Gbps connection. Espcieally if you are using a swtich to connect mutliple machines to one port. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

48 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Ive seen stores sell it as bulk. To me if it doesnt have RJ45 ends attached, Id consider it builk. Plus most people are not going to have a 100m run. As that is the longest it can be, and truthfully at that distance it may not work if you have shit cabling. Also consider what kind of cabling it is. Full copper or copper clad aluminum. The lather being cheaper. 

This is only because this type of cabling can do 10 Gbps up to 100m. So many just suggest running this, because you never know what the future may hold. There are cases where you might saturate a 1 Gbps connection. Espcieally if you are using a swtich to connect mutliple machines to one port. 

Indeed - the realistic answer is that Cat 5e is still sufficient for the needs of 90% of home networks - even ones wired and installed properly into the walls w/ wall jacks, etc.

With that in mind, you basically only want to wire your house once, since it's kind of a bitch to do (alas, if only it was standard practice to run empty conduit to every room during home construction), and can be somewhat expensive.

So, due to that, if Cat 6a is a relatively small price upgrade from Cat 5e - you might as well.

Note, Cat 7 and Cat 7a are only recognized by the IEC.

TIA/EIA (the standards body that standardizes the other Cat ethernet cables, like Cat 5/5e/6/6a, etc) does not recognize Cat 7/7a as a standard. Does that have any practical implications? Not necessarily, but it's still important to note.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)