Leaving pc off for months

STARTERPCBUIDLER

I am saving up for a gpu for my new pc and since I can't use it until I get a gpu for it, would anything happen to my new pc if it is left off for months? 6-8 months, because I am currently using my old pc and I cannot use my new pc since it does not have a gpu inside it. Would there be any damage done if it is left off for 6-8 months.

Thanks in advance.

All of the components used to build your PC sat in a warehouse in their own boxes for months or even years before the PC was built, it can definitely survive off for a long time 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I would say it depends where you store it... in a normal environment, with a cover to protect it from dust... what could happen?

There shouldn't be a problem with just storing it, I personally would make sure it's in like the box the case came in and sealed so it doesn't get dusty or bumped around and such but either way it should be fine.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

7 minutes ago, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

I am saving up for a gpu for my new pc and since I can't use it until I get a gpu for it, would anything happen to my new pc if it is left off for months? 6-8 months, because I am currently using my old pc and I cannot use my new pc since it does not have a gpu inside it. Would there be any damage done if it is left off for 6-8 months.

Thanks in advance.

Nope, everything will be fine. Only thing that might happen is that the CMOS battery goes flat but that's not a big deal and a flat battery doesn't cause any damage. Only thing you need is a new battery which you can get basically anywhere and you are good to go. You need it to keep the clock going if you disconnect it and usually it also stores overclocks and boot order.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Thanks I was hoping it would be ok, It is gonna be left in my room, plus no one even touches the pc anyway and dust cannot get in. Would I need to replace the thermal paste on the cpu maybe? since it was left off for months? 

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Nope, everything will be fine. Only thing that might happen is that the CMOS battery goes flat but that's not a big deal and a flat battery doesn't cause any damage. Only thing you need is a new battery which you can get basically anywhere and you are good to go. You need it to keep the clock going if you disconnect it and usually it also stores overclocks and boot order.

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

There shouldn't be a problem with just storing it, I personally would make sure it's in like the box the case came in and sealed so it doesn't get dusty or bumped around and such but either way it should be fine.

2 minutes ago, Jillorval said:

I would say it depends where you store it... in a normal environment, with a cover to protect it from dust... what could happen?

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

All of the components used to build your PC sat in a warehouse in their own boxes for months or even years before the PC was built, it can definitely survive off for a long time 

1 minute ago, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

Would I need to replace the thermal paste on the cpu maybe? since it was left off for months? 

No.

It'll dry even less than if it were on. 

Everything is stressed more when on than off. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

Thanks I was hoping it would be ok, It is gonna be left in my room, plus no one even touches the pc anyway and dust cannot get in. Would I need to replace the thermal paste on the cpu maybe? since it was left off for months?

While it doesn't hurt to replace it, you should be fine.

What usually causes thermal paste to try out is the heat. But because you won't use the pc and the cpu won't get hot, it won't really dry out.

You can always do a few stress tests after using it again and check if temps are fine. If they are, you are good to go!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Thanks, I read on some other thread that the psu might get "broken" somehow by not being plugged in for so long, is that true?, or is that just pure bs?

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

While it doesn't hurt to replace it, you should be fine.

What usually causes thermal paste to try out is the heat. But because you won't use the pc and the cpu won't get hot, it won't really dry out.

You can always do a few stress tests after using t again and check if temps are fine. If they are, you are good to go!

Why would you buy a new PC without a GPU...? I hope you aren't one of those that buys the PC in parts over time, instead of saving up.

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

Why would you buy a new PC without a GPU...? I hope you aren't one of those that buys the PC in parts over time, instead of saving up.

My gpu that i bought with the pc was broken, couldn't return because the warranty was out.

Just now, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

My gpu that i bought with the pc was broken, couldn't return because the warranty was out.

Warranties for GPUs typically last for 3 years. Did you buy a >3 year old GPU...?

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

Warranties for GPUs typically last for 3 years. Did you buy a >3 year old GPU...?

Yeah I must of, because I got it from ebay.

They said that the warranty on it was out too, tried different people and they said that the warranty was out too

Just now, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

Yeah I must of, because I got it from ebay.

4 minutes ago, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

So you bought it used.. Hope you used PayPal or something for buyer protection. 

Just claim back to seller that it is broke. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

So you bought it used.. Hope you used PayPal or something for buyer protection. 

Just claim back to seller that it is broke. 

Okay thanks, I got the gpu about a month ago so I'll tell the seller that it is broken.

1 minute ago, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

Okay thanks, I got the gpu about a month ago so I'll tell the seller that it is broken.

So wait, you buy something used, it arrives but is broken.. I would straight away get back to the seller demanding my money back as the product I bought doesn’t work. 

Did you use paypal? 180 day protection on purchases 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

So wait, you buy something used, it arrives but is broken.. I would straight away get back to the seller demanding my money back as the product I bought doesn’t work. 

Did you use paypal? 180 day protection on purchases 

Yes, I used Paypal and the reason I didn't tell the seller that it was broken was because it worked for a bit and then it broke, I did not do anything wrong to it, was using it normally and it was displaying some artifacts when I booted the pc up after about 3 weeks. I thought it was something I did but I didn't do anything to it. I managed to get drivers for the gpu before it broke, but I used ddu to uninstall them with my gpu from my old pc. 

27 minutes ago, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

Thanks, I read on some other thread that the psu might get "broken" somehow by not being plugged in for so long, is that true?, or is that just pure bs?

Umm, never heard that one before.

There is no reason why a PSU would suddenly die after not using it for a long time.

6 minutes ago, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

Yes, I used Paypal and the reason I didn't tell the seller that it was broken was because it worked for a bit and then it broke, I did not do anything wrong to it, was using it normally and it was displaying some artifacts when I booted the pc up after about 3 weeks. I thought it was something I did but I didn't do anything to it. I managed to get drivers for the gpu before it broke, but I used ddu to uninstall them with my gpu from my old pc. 

Yeah you can still claim under PayPal to be fair. Just tel ‘m within 3 weeks it suddenly didn’t work anymore and it was displaying artifacts too. Or something along these lines 

I have had systems that went 20 years between powerups. 

26 minutes ago, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

Total BS. Some components can age and go bad with time whether used or not, but they'll always go bad quicker when used.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Umm, never heard that one before.

There is no reason why a PSU would suddenly die after not using it for a long time.

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Total BS. Some components can age and go bad with time whether used or not, but they'll always go bad quicker when used.

3 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

I have had systems that went 20 years between powerups. 

5 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Yeah you can still claim under PayPal to be fair. Just tel ‘m within 3 weeks it suddenly didn’t work anymore and it was displaying artifacts too. Or something along these lines 

Thanks, I will take all of you guys's advice thanks alot.

This guy was off for 18 years and 3 months until I got it :) CMOS battery was dead, but fired right up once that was replaced. Only other issue was rotten belt in the floppy drive that needed replacing.

P90924-230034.thumb.jpg.3b188b5c8ac4730f5c88d5d954da61cc.jpg

F@H

GPD Win 2

51 minutes ago, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

Where did you read that?  Please for the love of all that is holy... link where you read that.

Stop overthinking.  You probably have items in your house that have been off and unplugged for years and work fine if you plug them in.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi