Case Air Flow Problema - Can I leave it open?

IndioBravo

Hi everyone!

My build:

Ryzen 5 2600x - Cooler: Hyper 212

Zotac GTX 1060 6GB

CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 - 3 intake fans (front) and 1 exhaust fan (top back)

Gaming Plus B450 MoBo

Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000 MHz

To make it quick, while gaming, I was having 70C on both GPU and CPU. I opened the side panel of my case and both temperatures droped to 55C-60C. So clearly, it is an airflow problem.

Are there any drawbacks to leaving the case side panel open?

Thanks!

No real issues except dust buildup, but also, 70c isn't "bad". Its a bit warm, but not dangerous by any means. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

10 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

No real issues except dust buildup, but also, 70c isn't "bad". Its a bit warm, but not dangerous by any means. 

Is this dust buildup really a bad thing? I understand the problem with dust is increasing temperatures.

7 minutes ago, Pablo Molina said:

Is this dust buildup really a bad thing? I understand the problem with dust is increasing temperatures.

Not really, dusting it out when it gets dusty should be fine. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Not really, dusting it out when it gets dusty should be fine. 

Ok, it doesn´t sound too bad. Thansk for the advice!

47 minutes ago, Pablo Molina said:

Hi everyone!

My build:

Ryzen 5 2600x - Cooler: Hyper 212

Zotac GTX 1060 6GB

CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 - 3 intake fans (front) and 1 exhaust fan (top back)

Gaming Plus B450 MoBo

Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000 MHz

To make it quick, while gaming, I was having 70C on both GPU and CPU. I opened the side panel of my case and both temperatures droped to 55C-60C. So clearly, it is an airflow problem.

Are there any drawbacks to leaving the case side panel open?

Thanks!

is the problem with the noise at 70c, does it go higher than 70c or are you just plain concerned that its 70c?

becuase 70c is fine under full load

its literally not a problem and there is no reason why you need to create more noise by opening your case.

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

1 hour ago, RelativeMono said:

is the problem with the noise at 70c, does it go higher than 70c or are you just plain concerned that its 70c?

becuase 70c is fine under full load

its literally not a problem and there is no reason why you need to create more noise by opening your case.

Well, my PSU is to blame for all the noise actually. There seems to be no difference on the noise when opening the case. It has been 5 hours now since I opened the case and I can evidence a 10C drop in temperature under full gaming load. I think I need to rotate my Hyper 212 so it will face the exhaust panel and try closing it again; I think I don´t want too much dust getting in there.

what im saying is constant 70c is perfectly okay

its not something to worry about

90c is when you should start worrying

9 hours ago, Pablo Molina said:

The masterbox 5 Lite has always has one of the worst front panel designs. Fortunately if you really wanna fix it, the frame is the same as the Masterbox MB500, so you can use the front panel for that. @LukeSavenije has successfully completed the swap.

https://www.cmstore.eu/spare-parts/masterbox-mb500-front-panel/ (currently out of stock)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Ok so I´d have to get a spare front panel from the MB500? I´ll try to look for one.

I also realized something (I´m kind of new to this) I poorly instaled my Hyper 212. The airflow is facing upwards to the case top and not to the exhaust fan. I´m kind of scared to fix it because intalling the Hyper 212 was a pain in the first place. Required so much force to get to the screw holes on the MoBo that I thought it was going to break at some point. I guess I´ll have to do it anyways.

For the time being, or untill I get that front panel, I guess I´ll just leave it open. I know 70C is not a big deal, but I rather see my temps at 60C :/

Thanks for all the help!

people tend to exaggerate the importance of low temps. Your pc will be obsolete long before the occasional 70C kills it

31 minutes ago, Cypher-Jackson said:

people tend to exaggerate the importance of low temps. Your pc will be obsolete long before the occasional 70C kills it

In my case it is not so much about the life span of the piece. But more about performance, I´m I right?

6 hours ago, Pablo Molina said:

In my case it is not so much about the life span of the piece. But more about performance, I´m I right?

youre not going to thermal throttle at those temps

On 10/3/2019 at 10:50 AM, Pablo Molina said:

I poorly instaled my Hyper 212. The airflow is facing upwards to the case top and not to the exhaust fan.

It doesn't make much of a difference. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It doesn't make much of a difference. 

Really? I actually thought that was the root of the airflow problem.

13 minutes ago, Pablo Molina said:

Really? I actually thought that was the root of the airflow problem.

It's usually like 1c lower if at all to have it face the rear. If fans are particularly low rpm or the case airflow isn't very good, it can make more of a difference. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.