How to make "brushed metal finish" properly?

Tonberry
3 hours ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

to this v

Spoiler

IMG20191204163915.thumb.jpg.7d0638b516c97328b4f36470f634f86c.jpg

Some other shots from different angles after it's installed on the chassis.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG20191204164008-1.thumb.jpg.80bd92a7b23412e8952138cdf90642df.jpg

IMG20191204164628.thumb.jpg.2a7b3a51ac80dcd0e591598873a86ff0.jpg

IMG20191204164431.thumb.jpg.4f406dbd5feeba94ae3b5e1e5ed73d47.jpg

IMG20191204164811-1.thumb.jpg.c65406a122aacfb61528106f8b507dd4.jpg

This is really worth the time and efforts from my perspective.

Holy shit that's amazing!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Holy shit that's amazing!

Thankyou sir!

I'm humbly honored to be linked to your status update.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

That's an awesome finishing job!

Personally, I would have only used the sandpaper for the last couple passes to get the finish you want. You can remove the paint much quicker with a power tool like a dremel if you have one, and a flap wheel like this one. Grab a decently large one like 2x1".

image.png.dfa136b90e657e10c5743aaf26c43759.png

EDIT: further reading reveals you did use a sanding wheel. Well I guess I'm late to the party!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

10 hours ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

Man, I was originally about to use a belt sander, but Im not an experienced DIY person who have all the DIY power tools, instead I just use my old small sanding wheel I have.

So for the 1st phase, I sanded it with 400 grit sand paper and paper and paper and paper and paaaaaaperrrrrrrs, using a sanding wheel till it shows as bare aluminum.

I didn't expect that anodized coat is actually very very very thin coat but really hard to beat using sanding machine without eating the metal too deep.

After done with sanding off all the paint, then to make the brushed finish on it, I grinded the bare aluminum surface with whetstone I have in one way stright strokes. I grabed the whetstone and stroked it on the surface and poured water quite often to make it easier to do. The weight of the whetstone helped me apply consistent pressure to the surface.

The next step is sanded it again with a 200 grit padded sand paper manually by doing again one way stright strokes, but before that I sprayed WD-40 on the surface of the bare aluminum and also on the sand paper, then I wiped it with dry clean cloth when there is residue build-ups, and repeat till I got the result I wanted.

Finally I washed them with water and detergent mix to clean out the surface from the WD-40 and dry them, for the final touch I sprayed them with clear coat as protection.

I hope this answers some question on how I did it.

Warning! Hours and hours and hours and hours has been spent, and determination with big chunk of patience has been consumed along the process only to get this scratchy looks.

Happy mod!

Sounds like a lot of work, I'm glad it was fulfilling!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Sometimes to get the best results, you have to do it slowly by hand. I think it turned out great. Unless you have done it multiple times, using power tools is not the way to go.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

10 minutes ago, dual290x said:

Sometimes to get the best results, you have to do it slowly by hand. I think it turned out great. Unless you have done it multiple times, using power tools is not the way to go.

The most demanding work to do on this was get rid the original anodize coating. Powder coat and other spray coating methods can be easily stripped with that liquid paint stripper just by pouring it on the surface you want and wait for 5 mins and you can easily scrap the paint effortlessly. Anodize coating is different, it won't come off with liquid stripper, it needs power tool and alot of sand papers.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

On 12/5/2019 at 5:49 AM, PotatoCanDo! said:

The most demanding work to do on this was get rid the original anodize coating. Powder coat and other spray coating methods can be easily stripped with that liquid paint stripper just by pouring it on the surface you want and wait for 5 mins and you can easily scrap the paint effortlessly. Anodize coating is different, it won't come off with liquid stripper, it needs power tool and alot of sand papers.

This is for the record: 

Hardest part is taking off the finish. I think its well covered in this thread, tho I recommend using caution with solvents. You can stain aluminium with the wrong solvent. 

Getting the "brushed" look tho: satin finish pads. Spongy pads, available from the paint section of your local hardware store. There are several kinds, but most often you find two: brown for soft materials like wood and plastics and green for stainless steel/metal. Advantages are: even pressure over surface and uniform depth of "cut". Better for finishing curved surfaces.  

Just wanted to drop by and say how beautiful of a job you did on that panel. You are now officially a pro.

Spoiler