Windows Network Share Issue

RickL

Hi!

So I have a Windows 10 PC in the cupboard that has always acted as my NAS, Plex Media Server, FTP, NVR, Teamspeak Server and other things. I have set up one of the drives with a Windows Share.

This has been working perfectly for the last 3 years.

I built a new PC recently for gaming etc, it connected straight to the network share without any issues as soon as I enabled file sharing, the network PC with the share came straight up.

I then needed to reinstall windows to my new PC as I had a few software issues and since then it wont see the network share, even though I carried out exactly the same as when I first set it up. Also at the same time I'm not sure if my router took a sh!t or if it was the new install of the PC but there were some issues connecting to the network with it right after the fresh install. My router HAD been giving me issues around 6 months ago but otherwise now seems fine.

So, couldn't see the network PC under "Network", but I can see it under "Media Devices" with the "Plex Media Server".

I went through on both PC's to ensure that the drive was being shared correctly and that the advanced sharing settings appeared correct with the file sharing turned on etc.

So after more googling I entered the windows services and ensured that the below services were set to auto or auto with delay startup;

SSDP Discovery

uPNP Device Host

Function Discovery Provider Host

Function Discovery Resource Publication

Success! I then could see the network PC under the network tab "computers" however when I when trying to connect (Note that I can only see the PC but not the actual shared directory yet) I was getting the old "0x80070035" error, so more googling... entered windows services, ensured that the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper was set to start up automatically. Went to the network adapter settings, IPv4 Advanced Properties, entered WINS, ensured that "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" was checked, all correct. Gone in to Regedit and deleted out MSLicensing HardwareID and Store files.

But.. to no avail.

I rebooted both PC's and now I cant see the network PC at all.

Do I need to re-install windows on BOTH PC's? Can anybody shed any light on my situation?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try to map the network drive, the network discovery always has issues, don't use it for a nas.

Can you access the nas if you goto \\NASIP\share in explorer

Tried that one bud, sorry I forgot to mention. That is how I would normally do it as I need to use different log-in credentials but its not been an issue.

Upon trying to connect, it just spools or it says;

"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:

The specified network name is no longer available".

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try to map the network drive, the network discovery always has issues, don't use it for a nas.

Can you access the nas if you goto \\NASIP\share in explorer

Was about to say that, you're way to quick :P

1 minute ago, RickL said:

Tried that one bud, sorry I forgot to mention. That is how I would normally do it as I need to use different log-in credentials but its not been an issue.

"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:

are you using the IP or the hostname?

What version of smb?

Does it work if you just try to open the path?

2 minutes ago, RickL said:

Have you tried mounting at IP adres or only at host adres?

Can you ping at IP adres? Is the DNS doing his job properly? Ping -a in command prompt will rule this out. If you cant ping on hostname then editing hostfile is quick workaround.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

are you using the IP or the hostname?

What version of smb?

Does it work if you just try to open the path?

I have tried connecting to the PC in both ways, Hostname and the IP (The IP address is static in the router).

SMB? Im only a little familiar with the term but I dont know what part that plays in any of this.

Nope, keeps on coming up with "Windows cannot access \\Rick-pc\g" (Note that I recreated a share and named it "g" out of frustration in trying to get it to work.

3 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

Have you tried mounting at IP adres or only at host adres?

Can you ping at IP adres? Is the DNS doing his job properly? Ping -a in command prompt will rule this out. If you cant ping on hostname then editing hostfile is quick workaround.

Yup its pinging the static IP of the network drive's pc correctly and returning all 4 pings as received.

1 minute ago, RickL said:

Yup its pinging the static IP of the network drive's pc correctly and returning all 4 pings as received.

use -t, ping 4 times doesn't show anything.

when I have come across this problem before it's usually been because the newly made win 10 has set it's network to public. Is your network set as public or private?

Can be found under "network and internet" and then click on the ethernet tab... you can also change it from one to the other there as well.

Then I normally test it can connect by making a shortcut on the desktop to eg \\192.168.2.200 (address of NAS)

Hope that helps.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

13 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

when I have come across this problem before it's usually been because the newly made win 10 has set it's network to public. Is your network set as public or private?

Can be found under "network and internet" and then click on the ethernet tab... you can also change it from one to the other there as well.

Then I normally test it can connect by making a shortcut on the desktop to eg \\192.168.2.200 (address of NAS)

Hope that helps.

When the connection to the router was first made, it did register as an unidentified network, then auto set to public. Then I had to manually change it to private. So currently, its on private.

Isnt there a way to completely "forget" a network, unplug it and let it start again from a virgin config?

Yes, on the network status page in Win10 settings there's a "reset network" option at the bottom

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, RickL said:

When the connection to the router was first made, it did register as an unidentified network, then auto set to public. Then I had to manually change it to private. So currently, its on private.

Isnt there a way to completely "forget" a network, unplug it and let it start again from a virgin config?

As @Kilrah said above.

Also check in network and sharing centre advanced sharing settings, that it is set to "turn on network discovery" and "turn on automatic setup of network connected devices" - with it being set to private network and the above, that should be all it needs.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

So, hit reset network on both PC's, rebooted. Nothing. No change.

Reset, changed straight to private networks, nothing.

All network discovery is turned on and auto set-up.

Tried to connect to the computer on "network", nope, tried to map network drive using the correct address, nope.

:(

Hi guys,

I picked up my laptop tonight for the first time in a couple of weeks as I knew this worked perfectly fine with the network share, it has confirmed that the "server" PC or the router is the issue, not the desktop PC. Saves another install job I guess.

I'll let you all know if the network PC is resolved with a fresh copy of windows which im planning to do at the weekend.