Microsoft Brings Google Assistant Support to Xbox One

jiyeon

Source: The Verge | Reddit

Microsoft is now introducing Google Assistant to work with the Xbox One.

Microsoft is enabling Google’s Assistant to work with its Xbox One console. Much like the existing Alexa integration, Microsoft is allowing Google Assistant to launch games and apps, turn the console on and off, pause videos, and much more. You’ll need to use the Google Assistant app for iOS or Android or a device like Google’s Home with Assistant on it to control an Xbox One. Google Assistant won’t run on the Xbox One itself; instead, it will receive commands from other devices running Assistant.

With the release of the Xbox Action for Google Assistant, you can now interact with your Xbox One in even more ways using just your voice, including the ability to turn your console on and off, launch games and apps, play and pause videos, and more, from the Google Assistant and Home-enabled devices, as well as the Google Assistant apps on iOS and Android.

The new Xbox Action for Google Assistant releases to public beta on Xbox One today and is available to all customers in English during the beta period. Google and Xbox are working together to expand language support before launching more broadly to the Xbox community later this fall.

An FAQ post over on Reddit by Xbox staff Harrison Hoffmann details how to get Google Assistant to work with users' Xbox One consoles, and requires an app in order to use Assistant.

Here’s how to get started with the beta:

Join our Google Group with the Google Account you intend to use

1. Sign into your Xbox
  2. In the Google Home app for iOS or Android:
    1. Tap “+ Add”
    2. Tap “Set up device”
    3. Tap “Have something already set up?”
    4. Search for and select “[beta] Xbox”
  3. Sign in with the Microsoft account you use on Xbox
  4. Follow the instructions to link your Xbox and give it a device name

In the same Reddit post, there is a full list of exisiting commands to use with the Google Assistant, but it's a bit extensive so I've omitted it from this post. You can view the commands by visiting the Reddit post above in my listed sources.

But, for those who are interested and don't want to visit, the commands are essentially the basics such as 'Turn on/off,' 'Volume up/down,' 'Play,' 'Pause,' and other miscellaneous features such as record clips and take a screenshot. Basically, all the commands you can do in a regular Xbox, but this time, it's Google...

Personally I don't really see the appeal as you can do all these commands using the integrated Xbox assistant anyway, and even if you wanted to try, you'd also need to download an app and join a Google group so it's a bit of a hassle to get working, all just for Google Assistant.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

inb4 all the assistants team up to figure out how to make a huge console botnet.

This is why we gotta keep them separate.

They know too much.

cortana is losing ground.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Just now, will4623 said:

Did Cortana ever have ground?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

well someone did make a thermostat based on cortana so yes and not really.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

6 minutes ago, will4623 said:

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Beat me to it, was about to say if Cortana even had any ground.

Maybe this is why Microsoft are so into getting Google Assistant working! :D

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I never had issue with cortana, Cortana has always been more accurate for me than siri, google assistant or bixby. At least on my Windows Mobile.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, sowon said:

Beat me to it, was about to say if Cortana even had any ground.

Maybe this is why Microsoft are so into getting Google Assistant working! :D

Cortana has been reworked over the years to deliver features and solutions. What I mean is that Skype live translate is Cortana technology behind the scenes in terms in understanding human language. The company is also working, and they denied this at last BUILD event, live transcribe of meetings including full understanding of company specific jargon and acronyms. It was very impressive. They have a dev toolkit too for this. It also Office feature search bar in terms of finding the feature you are looking for, and even generating very smartly layout for Power Point presentation. Just dump your text and images and pick a layout you like from an already made or you made template and it will take care of the rest.

Cortana mistake in the consumer market was to focus on the back end and never working on feature set, like Amazon and Google did, nor did they made an ultra cheap device like Google did with the small Google Home puck shape speaker, where it was sold for 100$ but discounted during the holiday to 40-50$. It sold like hot cakes and Google marketshare exploded in US and Canada because of this.

So that is why Microsoft kinda given up on the consumer end, but the powerful tech behind is being worked in as features for different apps.

Well it's nice to hear they're bringing back the ability to use voice commands to turn on the xbox and open apps. I'm guessing it costs less to integrate with google assistant than to support kinect voice commands. Been losing features steadily till now...

Or is this just voice access for ppl that don't have a kinect? I'm pretty sure I can still open apps and games and turn off the xbox via voice... just no longer turn on or use gestures.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

maybe this is to counter any lawsuits similar to the browser lawsuits or even mobile app store too

must give people a choice?