Connect empty pin on 24-pin to non-empty (but supposedly unused) 18-pin on PSU

For Science!

Hello!

I am making some custom sleeves at the moment and wanted to ask something about the Type 4 Corsair Pinouts. There is an unused (unpinned in the stock cables) in the 24-pin cable, which I would like to filled in my custom cables. I notice there is also an unused (also unpinned) cable in the bottom left of the 18-pin connector on the PSU side. However, on the PSU, there is actually a pin in this position and so I was wondering if it is safe to connect the unused pin with this position in the 18 pin ATX.

The PSU in question is RM750x.

Alternatively I guess I can just have a cable and have it loose on the other end, but if possible would like them sealed.

Perhaps @jonnyGURU can once again impart some wisdom once again :P.

Corsair-Type-4.jpg

Gotta DMM to check if there's anything on the pin?  It'll take me a while to grab a unit and test it myself.  Might get back to you later tonight. 

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Gotta DMM to check if there's anything on the pin?  It'll take me a while to grab a unit and test it myself.  Might get back to you later tonight. 

Think I can get one, but I actually have no idea how to probe it, if you could give me a step-by-step (please treat me like an absolute baby) that I can do it safely for both myself and PSU, I would be really grateful.

Have you ever made custom cables before?  A DMM is an essential tool for the job. 

To test pin voltage, you just set the DMM to DC voltage, put the black probe in a known ground pin and touch the red probe to the other pins. 

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Have you ever made custom cables before?  A DMM is an essential tool for the job. 

First time making a full set, ive only been dabbling with extensions and simple ones (like 8-pin EPS). I do have a DMM so I will test it out later....

26 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

-

So I just checked, it's got 3.3 V going through it, so I guess that means I can't connect the unused pin from the 24 pin to it..?

Just had a thought that this particular cable will be on the inside of the 24-pin bend...so I might leave it empty and it shouldn't matter visually...

Ok.

Kind of wondering why you're populating pins that aren't populated in the first place.  Do you think it will make the cable look better?

I just chedked on my end and the Modders-Inc diagram is correct, though.  Not sure why you're getting +3.3V.  There's +3.3V on the OPPOSITE SIDE of that 18-pin connector, so maybe you're looking at the PSU upside down?  The pin in that corner is in fact populated, but DEAD.  There is NOTHING on that pin.  Definitely not +3.3V.

And, of course, the empty pin on the 24-pin connector is where the -5V used to be back in the day.

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.

Kind of wondering why you're populating pins that aren't populated in the first place.  Do you think it will make the cable look better?

Yes that was initially the consideration, as stupid as it may sound. I wasn't sure if there was an industry standard of which way the clip of the 24 pin goes. So on my motherboard the missing pin is on the "inside" and so cannot be seen, but perhaps on another board it would be exposed, and so this is why I wanted to fill it.

Anyway, I've attached pictures of my probing and perhaps you could check if i did it sort of correct (apologies in advance if something is very cringy). I believe the directionality is correct because i could jump start the psu correctly. 

Maybe this something about the european version? (Purchased in Sweden).

+3.4 V on the pin in question

20190926_080901-02.jpeg.282f3ceff58029232ac8e28eee3bdd61.jpeg

+12.2 V on the pin above 

20190926_080938-01.jpeg.19f413b9d810af47fa3c0ba108b1b555.jpeg

+5.13 V on the adjacent pin

20190926_080946-01.jpeg.c7bf3e0fb51c615aee1ff72fcf0bc5bc.jpeg

+3.4 V on the far end

20190926_081018-01.jpeg.18ad4ec0b8e91ae7a4a3a2e9252de1ce.jpeg

Also +3.4 v on the other end top

20190926_081411-01.jpeg.0b3a000d3af51ab63763fd48c54ac67e.jpeg

8 hours ago, For Science! said:

Maybe this something about the european version? (Purchased in Sweden).

There is no "European version" of any Corsair power supply.

Really weird you're getting +3.3V on that pin.  AFAIK, that pin should be dead.

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

-

Does it matter that this is the 2015 version of the RM750x? 

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

Does it matter that this is the 2015 version of the RM750x? 

No.   Either RMx supports the same Type 4 cable set.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.   Either RMx supports the same Type 4 cable set.

oh well. I guess I won't dwell on it too much and leave the empty pin as empty afterall. Thank you very much for your input, it was very helpful.