Macbook pro recommendations?

MANDINGO

I'm looking to buy a macbook pro to video edit (not a professional editor) and maybe some games when I'm on the go. I have a good PC but I dont want to pay a subscription to use Adobe premiere. My buddy let me use final cut pro x and I really liked it so I decided to go with a macbook pro. Which model do yall recommend? 16gb or 32gb ram model? Saw the 16gb ram 512gb ssd, radeon 580x with 9th gen i9 on sale at amazon for $2,399 but I dont know if I should go with the higher up model that's a $950 price difference

you set on getting a mac?

because you get a whole lot more on a windows machine for the money. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

you set on getting a mac?

because you get a whole lot more on a windows machine for the money. 

I dont want use Adobe premiere that's why I'm looking at macs and they're not bulky.  I'm willing to listen though 

Get something from Dell instead. They're probably closest to Apple in the "laptop world".

Final Cut isn't worth it imo even if you have the MacBook or not. Try Sony Vegas if you like very fast and easy workflow ( i know this software is a bit joke, but even i'm experienced editor i still use it over anything else for puting my sequences together ( especially does wonders for these fragmovie edits with gunshot sync etc and later i send the uncompressed render to Nuke or AAE ).

Edited by LogicalDrm
Piracy is against our Community Standards. Read it.

2 hours ago, Exaco said:

Get something from Dell instead. They're probably closest to Apple in the "laptop world".

Which Dell would you recommend? Budget is is around $2,600

Edited by LogicalDrm

8 minutes ago, MANDINGO said:

I dont want use Adobe premiere that's why I'm looking at macs and they're not bulky.  I'm willing to listen though 

you can use other options though. last time i checked the open-source community has some pretty good replacements. 

though when it comes to video-editing, im unsure of the options. 

@GeneXiS_X probably has you covered on what would be best around the 1500-2600$ pricepoint (edit: i donreally have an overview)

11 minutes ago, MANDINGO said:

they're not bulky

so a thin-and-light would be preferable. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

@GeneXiS_X probably has you covered on what would be best around the 1500-2600$ pricepoint (edit: i donreally have an overview)

so a thin-and-light would be preferable. 

Yes thin, light and battery life. that's why I was considering a macbook pro. Was looking at the alienware are 51m but that thing is bulky and has a short battery life. Msi is nice but battery life is short as well 

2 hours ago, Exaco said:

Final Cut isn't worth it imo even if you have the MacBook or not. Try Sony Vegas if you like very fast and easy workflow ( i know this software is a bit joke, but even i'm experienced editor i still use it over anything else for puting my sequences together ( especially does wonders for these fragmovie edits with gunshot sync etc and later i send the uncompressed render to Nuke or AAE ).

I'm not a seasoned editor pretty much a amateur but found final cut easy to use bit I never heard of sony Vegas before

Edited by LogicalDrm

Just now, Exaco said:

Also you can pirate the Adobe stuff like 90% of ppl does especially non-professionals.

Instead of going on the bays opening sails...you could have adviced the user to use another open source or free replacement KDEnlive for instance or lightworks. Gimp, Blender and the list goes on. I am not judging you (i used to sail too but it is not wise we reproduce pay software and not supporting or opening the base of open source instead).

I would avoid the i9 version, personally. There was a lot of chat about how it throttles quite fast as soon as it gets warm, and the performance ended up being on par or worse than with the i7 versions. I don't know if they fixed anything since then, but yeah.

At work, they make me work on a i7 + 16go ram + 512go SSD + Radeon Pro MacBook Pro 15".

It's plenty powerful enough for video editing (premiere + after effects) and I can also do some light 3D work on it.

I would really only upgrade the storage to 1to if it was my own personal computer, as I fill up 512go quite fast with 4K video files.

But yeah, other than that it's a real treat for video editing and content creation, I wish it was mine haha !

Obviously you can get better value for the price going the Windows route, but for content creation I just find Mac OS more adapted, personally. 

Final Cut Pro is also muuuuuch much faster than Premiere Pro, it's crazy how fast it renders. Which sucks because I really prefer to use Adobe softwares haha.

2 minutes ago, MANDINGO said:

Yes thin, light and battery life. that's why I was considering a macbook pro. Was looking at the alienware are 51m but that thing is bulky and has a short battery life. Msi is nice but battery life is short as well 

there are thin-an light options that woudl cover rather well from just about all of the laptop manufacturers. like the Dell XPS and Huawei Matebook X Pro

when it comes to games, i hope you dont expect more than esports titles. 

5 minutes ago, MANDINGO said:

I'm not a seasoned editor pretty much a amateur but found final cut easy to use bit I never heard of sony Vegas before

gotta say tho. Final cut is probably the one of the most beginner friendly of the videoediting softwares.

6 minutes ago, estcethomas said:

I would avoid the i9 version, personally. There was a lot of chat about how it throttles quite fast as soon as it gets warm, and the performance ended up being on par or worse than with the i7 versions. I don't know if they fixed anything since then, but yeah.

At work, they make me work on a i7 + 16go ram + 512go SSD + Radeon Pro MacBook Pro 15".

It's plenty powerful enough for video editing (premiere + after effects) and I can also do some light 3D work on it.

I would really only upgrade the storage to 1to if it was my own personal computer, as I fill up 512go quite fast with 4K video files.

But yeah, other than that it's a real treat for video editing and content creation, I wish it was mine haha !

Obviously you can get better value for the price going the Windows route, but for content creation I just find Mac OS more adapted, personally. 

Final Cut Pro is also muuuuuch much faster than Premiere Pro, it's crazy how fast it renders. Which sucks because I really prefer to use Adobe softwares haha.

I heard they fixed the issue with the 2019 model but I never experienced it 1st hand so I wouldn't know. Adobe just costs way too much in the long run to use. 300+ a year is a turn off. 

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

there are thin-an light options that woudl cover rather well from just about all of the laptop manufacturers. like the Dell XPS and Huawei Matebook X Pro

when it comes to games, i hope you dont expect more than esports titles. 

I mostly play pubg and insurgency sandstorm and max settings isn't something I'm after on a laptop, i  have a pretty cool desktop for that.

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

gotta say tho. Final cut is probably the one of the most beginner friendly of the videoediting softwares.

Yea that's why I really liked it and decided going the macbook pro route

6 minutes ago, MANDINGO said:

I heard they fixed the issue with the 2019 model but I never experienced it 1st hand so I wouldn't know. Adobe just costs way too much in the long run to use. 300+ a year is a turn off. 

Not fixed. Actually, it's worse than ever on the i9 and still rather bad on the i7. Avoid the XPS 15 if you are doing anything heavier than Facebook.

3 minutes ago, MANDINGO said:

Yea that's why I really liked it and decided going the macbook pro route

MacBook Pros this gen are horrible. I'm not even exaggerating. The amount of design defects and common failure points is insane. Look at Louis Rossmann on YouTube for a very detailed look into all MacBook hardware issues and poor design. The CPU overvolting itself in a humid room, the flex cables falling apart, the keyboard failures, the massive overheating and more. Just, don't.

Of you want a thin and light with a good screen, you're going to be looking at the Asus ZenBook Pro UX580 or Acer ConceptD7. Perhaps a DreamColor ZBook if you can find one

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Not fixed. Actually, it's worse than ever on the i9 and still rather bad on the i7. Avoid the XPS 15 if you are doing anything heavier than Facebook.

MacBook Pros this gen are horrible. I'm not even exaggerating. The amount of design defects and common failure points is insane. Look at Louis Rossmann on YouTube for a very detailed look into all MacBook hardware issues and poor design. The CPU overvolting itself in a humid room, the flex cables falling apart, the keyboard failures, the massive overheating and more. Just, don't.

Of you want a thin and light with a good screen, you're going to be looking at the Asus ZenBook Pro UX580 or Acer ConceptD7. Perhaps a DreamColor ZBook if you can find one

yeah Dell QC still exist and i prefer the older gen MacBook tho for editing.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

9 minutes ago, MANDINGO said:

That is a pretty freaking cool laptop. Asus zenbook pro you say?

This is the Duo but is basically a beta product. Get the normal pro with one screen

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

This is the Duo but is basically a beta product. Get the normal pro with one screen

Just searched it up and its up for sale on bestbuy, Microsoft and b&h 

1 minute ago, MANDINGO said:

Just searched it up and its up for sale on bestbuy, Microsoft and b&h 

It's for sale but it's not a good device.

17 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It's for sale but it's not a good device.

Oh I see. What's wrong with it?