using a 180W adapter for 120W laptop

AngryNerd

Hello everyone, i hope this is the right section for this post.

Here is my back story: i purchased Asus Fx504GM gaming laptop last year, like others i was also facing thermal throttling & power limitation issue

Laptop specs is : i5 8th gen, gtx 1060

It came with a 120W adopter, which according to what i read is not enough for 1060 (sorry but i have limited knowledge, so if i am wrong please explain me how it all works)

After almost 1.5 month of argument asus finally accpted the issue & chaged the heat sick with a better heat sink but i am still facing power limitations issue

So Asus said they will provide me a 180W adaptor but i am not sure how it will affect my laptop

Is there any change that it can burn or damage the motherboard or other components ?

Also will my laptop even accept the new adaptor ? I mean BIOS are according to 120W adaptor & i will be using 180W so, will my laptop accept that extra Watt ?

PS

I know its power limitation issue because it is mentioned in windows events logs

The log is of warning type with description

The speed of processor 4 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

Another error with critical type was

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

It's like getting a bigger PSU for your tower.

The PSU is NOT going to push all the power it's able to provide into the PC, it's going to provide the NEEDED power UP TO the max rated power indicated, so in your case, if the laptop needs 125w-130w to work properly, the brick is going to provide that, not the full 180w.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

43 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

It's like getting a bigger PSU for your tower.

The PSU is NOT going to push all the power it's able to provide into the PC, it's going to provide the NEEDED power UP TO the max rated power indicated, so in your case, if the laptop needs 125w-130w to work properly, the brick is going to provide that, not the full 180w.

Like wkdpaul pretty much already says only the volt is important, for example having a 40v adapter on a 5v device will damage it. But for almost every laptop 19.5v is the standard. There are some exceptions, so you still might want to pay attention. Higher ampere or watt does not matter that extra compacity will simple not be used when the device does not need it.

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Build Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv