Is this an overkill for gaming?

Hello everyone,

I'm building myself a new editing/gaming rig. I'm not interested into overclocking and spending money isn't problem here. If there is better/faster rig with i9-9900k and RTX 2080Ti, can you please advise so?

Components:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K

CPU COOLER: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H150i PRO

FANS: Corsair LL120 Node PRO x6

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme

GRAPHIC CARD: Asus GeForce RTX 2080Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC 11GB

MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4-3200

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair AX1000 80+ Titanium

M.2: 2x Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 1TB

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

SPEAKERS: Audioengine A5+ 150W

MONITOR: 2x Dell AW2518H G-Sync 240Hz 1ms

So, my main concern is that 64 GB of RAM would affect performance? Should that be a problem?

Which case would be the best fit for E-ATX mobo as Maximus XI Extreme?

Is Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 good enough? Should I consider something else?

Thank you. :D

CPU: i9-9900K R0 3,6 GHz (Coffee Lake) | AIO: ROG RYUJIN 360 | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti ROG MATRIX | MOBO: ROG Maximus XI Extreme | RAM: Trident Z Neo Series, DDR4-3600, CL16 64 GB | Case: O11Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum | SSD: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

I dont think that any build should be considered overkill. I would rather call it future oriented. Requirements for games evolve all the time and with the top of the line hardware from today, you are pretty much set for anything thats gonna come out in the next 5-10 years.

You don't really need that high end of a pc for gaming, but it will crush every game at 4k. The only thing i'm wondering about why did you chose two 240hz 1080p panels? you can easily play and edit in 4k with those specs, and if you want the 240hz for competitive gaming you don't need two of them, since they're TN 1080p panels you could find better options for video editing

3 minutes ago, Crunken said:

You don't really need that high end of a pc for gaming, but it will crush every game at 4k. The only thing i'm wondering about why did you chose two 240hz 1080p panels? you can easily play and edit in 4k with those specs, and if you want the 240hz for competitive gaming you don't need two of them, since they're TN 1080p panels you could find better options for video editing

So 64GB of ram should not be a problem? I've picked 240Hz 1080p panels exactly because of competitive gaming, and I'd like to have a +1 monitor for going through web while waiting etc. My main focus is not really video editing, while there would be some for sure.

CPU: i9-9900K R0 3,6 GHz (Coffee Lake) | AIO: ROG RYUJIN 360 | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti ROG MATRIX | MOBO: ROG Maximus XI Extreme | RAM: Trident Z Neo Series, DDR4-3600, CL16 64 GB | Case: O11Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum | SSD: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

If you're only gaming, 64GB of RAM is just useless. I would put 32GB (2x16GB) and add more visual aesthetics like RGB or sleeved PSU cables. 

Just now, Viper9 said:

If you're only gaming, 64GB of RAM is just useless. I would put 32GB (2x16GB) and add more visual aesthetics like RGB or sleeved PSU cables. 

Maybe useless for gaming, not much while Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign are running at the same time? And those extra 32GB of ram wouldn't affect gaming performance would it?

12 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

At least 64GB of RAM is actually useful if someone wants to open a crap ton of apps or about 2 Chrome tabs, whats the point of more RGB (I can get behind the sleeved PSU cables though I still think its kind of unnecessary)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

32gb of ram is still more than enough for video editing and photoshop, no need for 64gb unless you're editing high end 4/8k footage, and if you're mainly gaming you won't need more than 16gb for 90% of games

240hz is unnecessary for a second monitor, save some money by getting a IPS 60hz monitor that has good colors for a second display. 

And you really don't need an i9 for gaming if that's what you'll be doing the most, you can save tons of money by going with an i7 9700k or a ryzen 7

On 9/23/2019 at 7:20 AM, BigRom said:

At least 64GB of RAM is actually useful if someone wants to open a crap ton of apps or about 2 Chrome tabs, whats the point of more RGB (I can get behind the sleeved PSU cables though I still think its kind of unnecessary)

I'm not a big fan of RGB either, but when money isn't an issue why not. 

5 hours ago, Viper9 said:

I'm not a big fan of RGB either, but when money isn't an issue why not. 

Well, specs has changed.

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900k R0

CPU COOLER:  Asus ROG RYUJIN 360

THERMAL COMPOUND: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB DDR4-3600(CL16)

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG MATRIX

SSD: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB + 1x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum 

FANS: Thermaltake Riing Trio 12 RGB TT Premium Edition + Thermaltake Riing 12 Plus RGB TT Premium Edition + Thermaltake TT Sync Controller TT Premium Edition

CASE: Lian Li O11Dynamic XL (ROG Certified)

MONITORS: 1. BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz

2. LG 34GK950F-B 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz

MOUSE: SteelSeries Rival 650 Wireless

MOUSEPAD: SteelSeries Qck Prism Cloth XL

KEYBOARD: SteelSeries Apex Pro

HEADSET: SteelSeries Pro Wireless + GameDAC

Overall price is about 7.324,08€. I don't think it can go any better from that.

I don't mind RGB going on, neither ROG theme. It's gonna be a nice edition. :) 

If you plan to use that rig for both gaming and workstation, I personally would recommend going for a Ryzen 9 3900x CPU as ryzen tend to be more flexible with both gaming and workstation applications. The i9 does give more fps in games but the ryzen 9 outperforms the i9 in editing and video rendering tasks. Just a suggestion though