Should I upgrade my i5 4790k or overclocked it for better performance??

Hello everyone, first time in this forum. I am thinking about upgrading my current pc, but I am not sure if I should do it

i5 4790k (not overclocked)

A cheap cooler

Msi z97s plus

16 gb ram ddr3, I think running at 1330

gtx 1070 founder edition

I have a 4k display but I am planning to buy a 1440p 144hz monitor (any recommendations would be appreciated). Should I overclocked my i5 or get new cpu for better gaming performance and some light video editing??

26 minutes ago, XxStranger07xX said:

i5 4790k

i7 4790k or i5 4690k?

always overclock first, you spent all that extra money on a Z series motherboard and K sku CPU for that one feature. See if it makes the difference you were looking for.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Your thread limited for many newer multi-threaded titles and chasing high-HZ = more CPU power in the render threads.
People command too high a price for Used 4th Generation i7 4790K's. There is also no upgrade further from your 4cores8threads.

OC of course..OC the snot out of it. (Within Reason - Cooling Restrictions you have)

Go for Ryzen. Be the Future...Today

:) Ryzen is the Real Deal (Threads)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thank you for your response. Sorry for my mistake. I have i5 4690k and I get cpu idle 40. I was thinking of getting ryzen 7 third gen, but maybe I should wait for a new cpu from intel. If I overclocked, what cooler should I get for this cpu and future one. I have a R6 pc tower. 

3 hours ago, XxStranger07xX said:

If I overclocked, what cooler should I get for this cpu and future one

what sort of budget would you look to spend? also

3 hours ago, XxStranger07xX said:

I was thinking of getting ryzen 7 third gen

A Ryzen 5 3600 would be suitable for a gaming focused PC, you can spend the extra cost elsewhere on your rig.

and make sure you quote people so we see your responses.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I was thinking about the Noctua NH-U14S - Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A15 140mm Fan (Brown) to overclocked the cpu and in the future use it for other cpu intel or amd.

16 minutes ago, XxStranger07xX said:

I was thinking about the Noctua NH-U14S - Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A15 140mm Fan (Brown) to overclocked the cpu and in the future use it for other cpu intel or amd.

make sure you use the quote button so we see your responses

image.png.ff19dd38393bb51ffb9713ed504de89a.png

the U14S is a really good cooler, if you opt for that it would be a solid choice.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

make sure you use the quote button so we see your responses

image.png.ff19dd38393bb51ffb9713ed504de89a.png

the U14S is a really good cooler, if you opt for that it would be a solid choice.

Thank you for the advice. Never done overclocked and I am afraid I will mess it up. Is there an easy guide for it.

1 minute ago, XxStranger07xX said:

Thank you for the advice. Never done overclocked and I am afraid I will mess it up. Is there an easy guide for it.

yes, googling a tutorial for your motherboard will show a ton of guides that are easy to understand.

Primary PC: