!buying 780ti or 290x in 4 hours, can't decide :(

dacav5fan
Go to solution Solved by ChrisxIxCross,

well i use After effects for animations to like 3d models and well to edit Raw videos from my camera, at 2,5k so  4Gb may be a good idea but i haven't that good experience with amd drivers in the past :/

You'll be perfectly fine with 3gb on the Ti, besides all adobe suite programs have specific optimizations made for CUDA which would help you out greatly with your 3d modeling and photography :) 

so guys, i'm finally goin to buy a new gpu, the 780ti or the 290x, price difference is like 100€/135$, so i would spend those 100€ more for the ti, but i still can't decide if the 290x may be better in the future cuz of it's 4Gb. i'll use the gpu only for gaming and rendering videos, so no mining.

my specs:

• i7 3770k @ 4,5Ghz
  • Corsair vengeance 16Gb
  • Asus sabertooth z77
  • aircooling
  • i'll need a new psu like the be quiet e9-cm 580w

I say 780Ti :D

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Buy the 290X for Mantle, TruAudio, and higher minimum FPS. 

What resolution will you be playing at? 

I know you said "no mining", but you can set it to where it will only mine when you are not on the computer. You don't have to, of course, but I'm just saying: There's no real point not to mine if you have an AMD GPU. It's easy. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Why no mining? Just do it when you are sleeping?

Anyways I still recommend 290X beacuse of mantle, better on 4K, and is just Bada$$ 

I say 290x and make money mining on it at night.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

I would probably get the 290x if I was buying a graphics card right now, simply because of Mantle. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

gtx 780ti

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

well i have one 2560x1600p and two 1920x1200p screens but won't use eyefinity and all that stuff, i about mining, i just think that it costs more to let the gpu work than i ll get from mining and that ll decrease the live time of the components haha i now maybe just a lil bit

780 Ti. It runs cool, is not profoundly overpriced and you don't want to mine.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

780ti but thats just personal preference 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

and i ll edit videos in after effects so i guess amd is better with that program? cuz open gl or sth ^^

After Effects doesn't support any other hardware acceleration except CUDA for now, so nvidia would be the way to go.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

- Gforce Experience (Shadowplay etc.)

There is amd gaming evolved too ;)

so guys, i'm finally goin to buy a new gpu, the 780ti or the 290x, price difference is like 100€/135$, so i would spend those 100€ more for the ti, but i still can't decide if the 290x may be better in the future cuz of it's 4Gb. i'll use the gpu only for gaming and rendering videos, so no mining.

my specs:

• i7 3770k @ 4,5Ghz
  • Corsair vengeance 16Gb
  • Asus sabertooth z77
  • aircooling
  • i'll need a new psu like the be quiet e9-cm 580w

I have got a few questions 

1. What games are you playing?
  2. Will be recording game-play?

R9 290, non X, with non-reference cooler.

It's better in terms of value, frame buffer, Mantle, OpenCL, mining, etc.

Sure, the GTX 780TI comes with the slightly "better" GPU in terms of TDP, number of SMXs and TMUs, but the R9 290 has many features that make the slightly inferior GPU, which you can overclock to surpass the GK110, perform better in games, video rendering and mining. OpenCL allows AMD cards to render video and mine cryptocurrencies at a much faster rate than CUDA cores, and games that support Mantle will see a more consistent, smoother, higher frame rate, than without it.

Sony Vegas Pro 12 is a great video editor that supports OpenCL. You shouldn't be using After Effects to edit videos anyway, it's more for animations. Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, and Sony Vegas Pro are the proper video editing programs you should be using for professional applications.

780ti for pure carnage in games  ;) 290x for 4k and stuff

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

and i ll edit videos in after effects so i guess amd is better with that program? cuz open gl or sth ^^

I dunno. My 780 is a beast with After Effects. OpenCL/GL is great, though nVidia has CUDA, so it may be a toss up on that.

I have got a few questions 

1. What games are you playing?
  2. Will be recording game-play?

well i'm playing arma 3 bf4 and crysis 3 black flag and well all that stuff, and yeah i ll maybe record gameplay

well i use After effects for animations to like 3d models and well to edit Raw videos from my camera, at 2,5k so  4Gb may be a good idea but i haven't that good experience with amd drivers in the past :/

mantle won't be a thing for me i guess at the moment i ve got a solid cpu so i won't profit that much maybe 7% max, in the future maybe but not now or in the next year

You'll be perfectly fine with 3gb on the Ti, besides all adobe suite programs have specific optimizations made for CUDA which would help you out greatly with your 3d modeling and photography :) 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

well guys, i ve bought the" Inno3D GeForce GTX 780 Ti iChill Herculez X3 Ultra" thx for the help