Mechanical Keyboard + Mouse Choice

Dean.P.
Go to solution Solved by nox_,
23 hours ago, Dean.P. said:

Sure I'll await his response, another keyboard i've stumbled across is the new SteelSeries Apex Pro, that looks damn fine and you can adjust the keys actuation point. 

He's not likely to respond, a busy guy, so that's normal. Here:

take a look at this review of Apex Pro, very honest and not biased, should be helpful.

I'm looking to buy a mechanical keyboard and mouse for a new system I have built. I will mostly be using it for university work and therefore typing is quite important, however, I will also do the occasional gaming so a mixture of both is good. Admittedly I don't know much regarding what to buy but I have often found the clickly aesthetics of a mechanics keyboard quite pleasing. Regarding choice of mouse, my preference is quite open, anything that can work and game sufficiently without being uncomfortable. I'm currently using a cheap compaq keyboard and a Tecknet mouse from amazon which aren't amazing. My ideal budget for the keyboard is £100-£150 and for the mouse £25-£50. Any and all suggestions are welcome! So fair I have heard that the CORSAIR K70 RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is a good choice but that's about it.

Leopold FC boards with Silent red switches, they have the best keycaps in the industry. 
FC660m = 65%

FC750r = TKL

FC980m = 1800 Layout

Fc900r = Full 104 key

4 hours ago, b emoji said:

Leopold FC boards with Silent red switches, they have the best keycaps in the industry. 
FC660m = 65%

FC750r = TKL

FC980m = 1800 Layout

Fc900r = Full 104 key

These seem to be only in the US market. From some brief research people say Cherry MX Blue keys are the best for all round everyday usage.

4 minutes ago, Dean.P. said:

Cherry MX Blue keys are the best for all round everyday usage.

That research of yours was too brief, they are not the best for all round everyday usage for sure. For gaming they are not great. Also, are you in europe? There are few Europe based sites to get that board. Very reliable websites also.

I think @b emoji won't mind me quoting him:

On 9/14/2019 at 2:40 PM, b emoji said:

Blues and other click jacket switches will take longer to reset due to something called hysteresis where the reset point is higher up compared to the actuation point. If you want something clicky without hysteresis try Box Whites, and if you want something more tactile Box Jades, or heavier Pale Blues/Navys

Edited by noxdeouroboros

9 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

That research of yours was too brief, they are not the best for all round everyday usage for sure. For gaming they are not great. Also, are you in europe? There are few Europe based sites to get that board. Very reliable websites also.

I think @b emoji won't mind me quoting him:

I'm in the UK, so would you recommend the brown switches? My preference to the blue was the tactile click when activating the key, this is something I have felt before on a mechanical keyboard and have quite liked it. I have never previously owned a mechanical keyboard to be honest so this will be a first time purchase.

20 minutes ago, Dean.P. said:

I'm in the UK, so would you recommend the brown switches? My preference to the blue was the tactile click when activating the key, this is something I have felt before on a mechanical keyboard and have quite liked it. I have never previously owned a mechanical keyboard to be honest so this will be a first time purchase.

Yeah, not really.. There are much better switches than cherry though, Kailh Box especially, but browns are a decent option, I would take a look at silent reds also as @b emoji mentioned.  If you want better switches take a look at GMMK, but it's not as great quality as Leopold boards, but offer a lot options for switches,

As for Leopold keyboards you can get them here : https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEOPOLD-FC750R-Mechanical-Keyboard-FC750RC-Black/dp/B07BF54CND and here: https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/leopold/leopold_7/  sold out for now though, at least TKL versions, look for full size, might be available.

33 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Yeah, not really.. There are much better switches than cherry though, Kailh Box especially, but browns are a decent option, I would take a look at silent reds also as @b emoji mentioned.  If you want better switches take a look at GMMK, but it's not as great quality as Leopold boards, but offer a lot options for switches,

As for Leopold keyboards you can get them here : https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEOPOLD-FC750R-Mechanical-Keyboard-FC750RC-Black/dp/B07BF54CND and here: https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/leopold/leopold_7/  sold out for now though, at least TKL versions, look for full size, might be available.

Damn these keyboard are quite complex it's hard to really know whats what for a beginner. I visually like the look of the ROCCAT Vulcan 120 - Mechanical RGB Gaming Keyboard, AIMO LED Per-Key lighting, ROCCAT Titan switches, durable design (aluminum top plate), multimedia wheel, detachable wrist rest. 

6 minutes ago, Dean.P. said:

Damn these keyboard are quite complex it's hard to really know whats what for a beginner. I visually like the look of the ROCCAT Vulcan 120 - Mechanical RGB Gaming Keyboard, AIMO LED Per-Key lighting, ROCCAT Titan switches, durable design (aluminum top plate), multimedia wheel, detachable wrist rest. 

That one costs around 260 pounds, if it's okay, and you like it, get it then. I would get that Leopold with cherry browns or silent reds, perfect for a beginner. I dislike those low profile caps that Roccat 120 uses, they are horrible IMHO. If you are willing to buy it, make sure that it's possible to return it.

4 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

That one costs around 260 pounds, if it's okay, and you like it, get it then. I would get that Leopold with cherry browns or silent reds, perfect for a beginner. I dislike those low profile caps that Roccat 120 uses, they are horrible IMHO. If you are willing to buy it, make sure that it's possible to return it.

It's currently £109 on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DHXC3P1/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE Amazon are pretty good for returns so that's another reason for my liking as well as the price.

Also I looked at the Leopold keyboard I just think they don't look as nice, I have a boring keyboard at the moment so I kinda want something a little vibrant.

1 minute ago, Dean.P. said:

It's currently £109 on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DHXC3P1/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE Amazon are pretty good for returns so that's another reason for my liking as well as the price

Go for it if you like it,  you can return it if you end up disliking it. No idea about those switches they use, might be great, might be total shit. Oh, @RILEYISMYNAME uses this keyboard I think, maybe, he will see and comment on it.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

2 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Go for it if you like it,  you can return it if you end up disliking it. No idea about those switches they use, might be great, might be total shit.

Yeah I suppose it's worth a punt, thank you for the advise! 

3 minutes ago, Dean.P. said:

Yeah I suppose it's worth a punt, thank you for the advise! 

I edited my response, take a look at what I wrote,you can try and wait for his response, he might respond, not sure though. Anyway,  good luck with any keyboard you will end up, if I helped you, consider marking that topic is solved.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

17 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I edited my response, take a look at what I wrote,you can try and wait for his response, he might respond, not sure though. Anyway,  good luck with any keyboard you will end up, if I helped you, consider marking that topic is solved.

Sure I'll await his response, another keyboard i've stumbled across is the new SteelSeries Apex Pro, that looks damn fine and you can adjust the keys actuation point. 

Better go with the linear Red Switch it will be good for gaming and typing plus they are silent too. If you want clicky then go for the Cherry MX blue. I prefer the brown and red switches.

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboards/K68-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-—-Red-LED-—-CHERRY®-MX-Red/p/CH-9102020-NA

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboards/K63-Compact-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-—-CHERRY®-MX-Red/p/CH-9115020-NA

You can buy some cheap ones with RGB. you dont have to buy from corsair though there are many options. I suggested what i knew and came to my head first. You can also go for non-Cherry Switches like Kailh switches or Outemu switches.

Edited by Aashirbad Thapa
Additional words

23 hours ago, Dean.P. said:

take a look at this review of Apex Pro, very honest and not biased, should be helpful.

7 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Damn he praises the keyboard quite highly!

13 minutes ago, Dean.P. said:

Damn he praises the keyboard quite highly!

Have not watched the vid yet, but he dislikes many/most modern boards, if he likes it, it must be pretty good, go for it, get the board, you can always return it if you won't like it in "person".

Edited by noxdeouroboros

1 hour ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Have not watched the vid yet, but he dislikes many/most modern boards, if he likes it, it must be pretty good, go for it, get the board, you can always return it if you won't like it in "person".

Apart from the price and the quality of the ABS plastic used on the keys he gives a solid recommendation. I personally wished they offered a version without the OLED for a little less.

45 minutes ago, Dean.P. said:

Apart from the price and the quality of the ABS plastic used on the keys he gives a solid recommendation. I personally wished they offered a version without the OLED for a little less.

The keycaps may be garbage, but at least it looks like it uses a completely standard layout, unlike a lot of other gaming keyboards. You should be able to use pretty much any keycap sets. 

:)

On 9/21/2019 at 7:33 PM, seon123 said:

The keycaps may be garbage, but at least it looks like it uses a completely standard layout, unlike a lot of other gaming keyboards. You should be able to use pretty much any keycap sets. 

I suppose the caps can be changed in a few years for something more premium if they wear of discolour 

25 minutes ago, Dean.P. said:

I suppose the caps can be changed in a few years for something more premium if they wear of discolour 

Or straight away, as that would improve how the keyboard feels to type on, and how it sounds. Aesthetics is subjective, but can potentially be improved. 

:)

On 9/19/2019 at 8:00 AM, Dean.P. said:

Picking switches is very subjective to personal preference.  Since you already tried the Blue's and like them, that's a good start.  The Corsair K70 MK.2 would be my recommendation based on what you are asking for.  For the mouse, I'd recommend doing the same thing in trying a few out to see which grip and shape is most comfortable in your hand.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

22 hours ago, seon123 said:

Or straight away, as that would improve how the keyboard feels to type on, and how it sounds. Aesthetics is subjective, but can potentially be improved. 

Just took delivery of the Apex Pro and so far it is a thing of beauty, very happy!

• 2 weeks later...

@Dean.P.

What mouse did you get, and you still liking the keyboard.

Kind of in a similar boat, wanting my first proper keyboard and mouse for gaming, but wfh 2 or 3 days a week, and some studying.

The only place near me is probably pc world/currys where i can maybe try out some. 

On 10/3/2019 at 10:40 PM, j1mgg said:

@Dean.P.

What mouse did you get, and you still liking the keyboard.

Kind of in a similar boat, wanting my first proper keyboard and mouse for gaming, but wfh 2 or 3 days a week, and some studying.

The only place near me is probably pc world/currys where i can maybe try out some. 

Dude I absolutely love the keyboard, I made my father get one too! Regarding the mouse I haven't actually got a new one yet i kept with my old tracknet mouse for the time being. I think i'll look to get a steelseries mouse for continuity.