i bought a SFX psu without knowing

dancy
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
3 minutes ago, dancy said:

maybe sometimes it goes under a lot of stress for couple hours for encoding or rendering so idk

You would want to verify whatever you order are of sufficient gauge for the application. Matching what comes with the PSU would be ideal.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Just replace the unit. This is starting to look like a Frankenstein

Ideally I would agree but if OP doesn't want to and if he has a proper bracket then it won't look terrible and shouldn't impact the performance measurably with quality extensions.

Some people buy extensions when they don't even need them just so they can have braided cables showing in their build.

basically my bronze psu got burned so i ordered an SFX psu while i have an ATX case without knowing, the question is do i buy extension cables or do i go through the hell of returning the item and get another one ? 

the SFX psu i bought has an ATX frame thats why i was thinking of just buying extension cables from cablemod

Well either ways should work... what PSU did you buy exactly?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

Well either ways should work... what PSU did you buy exactly?

i bought EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM, i was blind by the price so i immediately before watching reviews  

Item returns generally aren't that bad. Most places will provide the shipping label, all you need to do is provide a box. Surely you can find a box right?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

Item returns generally aren't that bad. Most places will provide the shipping label, all you need to do is provide a box. Surely you can find a box right?

yeah but it takes such a long time im talking like 2 weeks or 3 to get my order and then im gonna have to wait another week to ship because of how far i am, thats why im still thinking between the buying or returning.

It should be fine, cables are the same. You might just have to come up with a ghetto solucion to mouting the PSU xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 minute ago, dancy said:

i found it for 80$ which was way cheaper than the other 650 PSUs i found

Yes, by SFX standards thats the expected price. You could get an RMx 550 for the money though and that's a much better unit

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes, by SFX standards thats the expected price. You could get an RMx 550 for the money though and that's a much better unit

unfortunately i couldnt find any corsair PSU i was a little limited with the options, so you think its just better if i return it than getting extension cable?

7 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

It should be fine, cables are the same. You might just have to come up with a ghetto solucion to mouting the PSU xD 

luckily in the psu description it says that it comes with an ATX mounting frame so i think i should be fine with that

Just now, dancy said:

luckily in the psu description it says that it comes with an ATX mounting frame so i think i should be fine with that

Ah then your golden, Just might look a little silly in your case xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 minute ago, dancy said:

unfortunately i couldnt find any corsair PSU i was a little limited with the options, so you think its just better if i return it than getting extension cable?

Why would you need extensions? Are the cables that short that you can't even reach the board?

Also - plenty of other good units - SeaSonic Prime, DeepCool Gold Silent, BitFenix Formula, Be Queit Straight Power 11 and etc

If you have a SFX to ATX bracket then buying extension cables is fine. If you intend for this system to be under a lot of stress I would advise only buying extensions as long as they have to be. Make it so a second PSU doesn't go up in smoke.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Why would you need extensions? Are the cables that short that you can't even reach the board?

Also - plenty of other good units - SeaSonic Prime, DeepCool Gold Silent, BitFenix Formula, Be Queit Straight Power 11 and etc

yeah ive looked at it and it really is that short i can tell it wont even reach near it, also its looks a bit nicer too but im just concerned if its gonna ruin the psu faster or anything like that

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you have a SFX to ATX bracket then buying extension cables is fine. If you intend for this system to be under a lot of stress I would advise only buying extensions as long as they have to be. Make it so a second PSU doesn't go up in smoke.

maybe sometimes it goes under a lot of stress for couple hours for encoding or rendering so idk

2 minutes ago, dancy said:

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

in my head it doesnt seem like that bad of an idea its just a psu with a longer cable to make it fit, i could just replace a unit but the fact that i have to wait like 1 more month is bugging me 

3 minutes ago, dancy said:

You would want to verify whatever you order are of sufficient gauge for the application. Matching what comes with the PSU would be ideal.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Ideally I would agree but if OP doesn't want to and if he has a proper bracket then it won't look terrible and shouldn't impact the performance measurably with quality extensions.

Some people buy extensions when they don't even need them just so they can have braided cables showing in their build.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

im guessing cablemod has a good quality extension cable right ?

6 minutes ago, dancy said:

im guessing cablemod has a good quality extension cable right ?

They should. It's up to you if you want to make your build a little more colorful while you're at it.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

They should. It's up to you if you want to make your build a little more colorful while you're at it.

yeah why not everyone should spoil his pc from time to time, thank u all for helping me ive made up my mind and going for the extension cable for the sake of looks and less time to wait :).