How usable is a Pi4 running Manjaro as a daily computer?

Hey all, I work on an electronics repair shop and I'm getting sick and tired of using the provided laptops which are still running windows 7 and painfully slow, and i got yelled at for running Manjaro from a flash drive once already. for some reason

Since the Raspberry Pi 4 has two HDMI outputs, how usable would the 4gb model be as a daily computer running something like Manjaro ARM with two monitors? I need to stream 720p video pretty regularly so I'm not sure it it will be much better. trying to keep to a budget as far as small pc's go.

I'm already aware it doesn't support GPU acceleration YET. I'm not asking for it to do much.

as a general computer for your grandparents sure. but as for streaming, as far as I am aware, def not. its a $45 computer and its really not possible to put enough power into it that will let it stream.

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

as a general computer for your grandparents sure. but as for streaming, as far as I am aware, def not. its a $45 computer and its really not possible to put enough power into it that will let it stream.

I've been using a Pi2 for 1080p local files running Kodi for years so i was just hopeful. So I'm skeptical you say that.

I used it on my 2GB version for a bit.

Really wasn't all that usable. Especially web browsing.

Most things were rather sluggish.

Why not just buy a small cheap x86 computer or even just get an affordable laptop? When dealing with all sorts of broken stuff (like in a repair shop) I always find it quite nice to have this reliable, fast computer around that can get anything done. The last thing I want when I'm working on stuff is being limited by my computer that can't run a program or is too slow. I'd really consider at least a regular laptop, if not just a nice desktop pc.

Edit: If you're going to use that pi4, you might as well just not use a pc at all and rely on an iphone.

A Pi4 has a SoC similar to what you would find in a entry/mid-range phone. For desktop use, you'll want at least a high-end ARM SoC or a low-end x86 chip.

The Odroid-N2 and H2 are more expensive than a Pi, but will be much more suited for the job.

2 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

I've been using a Pi2 for 1080p local files running Kodi for years so i was just hopeful. So I'm skeptical you say that.

I have never had a pi so i dont know much about them. my answer was my best guess. 

Instead of a Pi4, you could also (for about the same price) pick up some old Optiplex or HP desktop, throw on a clean manjaro or other linux install and have one very nice web browsing computer. That'd be much better unless you need a really small computer for some reason.

1 minute ago, badreg said:

A Pi4 has a SoC similar to what you would find in a entry/mid-range phone. For desktop use, you'll want at least a high-end ARM SoC or a low-end x86 chip.

The Odroid-N2 and H2 are more expensive than a Pi, but will be much more suited for the job.

I like it, but the n2 having only one display out and the H2 being over $100 Kills it for me as far as value.

Just now, akio123008 said:

Instead of a Pi4, you could also (for about the same price) pick up some old Optiplex or HP desktop, throw on a clean manjaro or other linux install and have one very nice web browsing computer. That'd be much better unless you need a really small computer for some reason.

I'm trying to be mindful of how much space i have available at my workstation. I'm fine with two monitors since i already have a lead for two wall mounts for $20 on Craigslist so something small that can slide behind them would be ideal.

Just now, FlpDaMattress said:

I'm trying to be mindful of how much space i have available at my workstation. I'm fine with two monitors since i already have a lead for two wall mounts for $20 on Craigslist so something small that can slide behind them would be ideal.

There are small form factor desktops you could use, (the ones you see in offices mounted to the back of monitors) there are plenty of used ones available, and you could even get something new if you want something really fast. Personally, I'd take it one step further and wall mount an intel NUC. 

5 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

There's a lot of pico computers you can find, like a LattePanda or a Zotac ZBox Pico.

Both of these are great, but only have one display output and are a bit out of my budget.. Trying to keep the entire setup under $100

2 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Both of these are great, but only have one display output and are a bit out of my budget.. Trying to keep the entire setup under $100

Something like this for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACER-Veriton-1000-mini-PC-Desktop-Intel-Core-2-Duo-1-86-GHz/383042464508?hash=item592f1c2afc:g:~9sAAOSwFd9dJiDo