When is it time to change power supply and case? (details below)

phil7990
Go to solution Solved by LukeSavenije,
1 minute ago, phil7990 said:

- PSU: Green 750 CM (2013)

well... 6 years sounds like a good time to change that

and you can calm a bit on wattage while you're at it, 550w is sufficient here

Hello,

I have my case and my powersupply for 6 years now. And I don't know how long they could last? Could someone also tell me if my airflow is good?

I have a power hungry graphicscard.

My specs are:

- Aerocool GT-A white case (2013) + 2 topfans + 1 Backfan + 1 frontfan

- 16 gig ram DDR4 HyperX (2015)

- Z170 gaming a (2015)

- CPU: i7 6700 + standard cooler (2015) (thinking of getting watercooling/liquidcooling cpu cooler)

- SSD 250gb

- HDD 1,5 Terra (more then 10 years old but still runs)

- Graphicscard: XFX 590

Pictures are below. Fully loaded my graphicscard goes with a heat of 85 degrees max and with an average of 83 degrees. Inside my pc it's 55 degrees and my cpu doesn't go over 65 degrees (haven't tested my cpu though but that's not what it is about). Just wanted to know if the case is only something visual I needed to change or if it is really needed to change. I do want a good airflow. Same question goes for my PSU.108833493_Naamloos76.thumb.png.8633a349cf6a28c834034ce70bfebee7.png

Naamloos 77.png

Naamloos 78.png

Naamloos 79.png

Naamloos 80.png

1 minute ago, phil7990 said:

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Ok thank you! I would like to stay 750 because you never know with future upgrades. Corsair gold 750RM should be good.

But, looking at the pictures..., what about my case? Does my airflow look good? If it's fine, I could keep the case a bit longer.so that I could prioritise the PSU and cpu cooler first...

3 minutes ago, phil7990 said:

Corsair gold 750RM should be good.

rm is underwhelming for it's price, i honestly take a txm over it (keep in mind rm, rmx is different)

and there's no reason at all for 750w here

I'd say test under load, below 83c I'd say is fine

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

rm is underwhelming for it's price, i honestly take a txm over it (keep in mind rm, rmx is different)

and there's no reason at all for 750w here

I'd say test under load, below 83c I'd say is fine

Ok thank you! Will do!

Cases do not go bad. They might become tasteless, out of style or their fans might need replacing, but by and large so long as they fit the hardware (motherboard, number of hard drives, CPU coolers and GPU length) and provide adequate airflow, there's no need to change it unless you really want to. 

Airflow in that case should be fine for most mid ranged builds. KitGuru's review notes that the case is not great for watercooling though as it's very limited in it's support for radiators.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

A case replacement is never really needed until like 6 years or you want a new look. I use my pc to show it off and it looks cool so in my head that 6 years goes down to 2 years 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 5:26 PM, Pauleft said:

A case replacement is never really needed until like 6 years or you want a new look. I use my pc to show it off and it looks cool so in my head that 6 years goes down to 2 years 

Sorry for my late answers. Didn't expect this so I didn't logged in to this site for a month. My case is +6 years.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:52 PM, TVwazhere said:

Cases do not go bad. They might become tasteless, out of style or their fans might need replacing, but by and large so long as they fit the hardware (motherboard, number of hard drives, CPU coolers and GPU length) and provide adequate airflow, there's no need to change it unless you really want to. 

Airflow in that case should be fine for most mid ranged builds. KitGuru's review notes that the case is not great for watercooling though as it's very limited in it's support for radiators.

The airflow is kind of concerning since it isn't a good tower actually. I choose this tower (from a brand where I didn't take the airflow into account) because of the white but as soon as I got it, usb's weren't working and all an the tower isn't so friendly with cablemanagement which actually might block some airflow.

Furthermore, I might not always stay with a mid ranged build + I have an rx590 which as you can see gets at a stable 80 degrees.
Lastly I have cats and dogs.

14 hours ago, phil7990 said:

the tower isn't so friendly with cablemanagement which actually might block some airflow.

Cables have 0 impact on airflow. Absolutely negligible. 

The front HDD and SSD cages are much more impeding of airflow than any cable could ever be. 

I'd recommend upgrading the case if/when you do go a higher end build. Switching out a case is the most time consuming part swap you can do because you have to disassemble your entire system to do it, so if you end up not doing it, them from a performance standpoint it's a waste. If you just really hate the look of it though and you want something flashier with a it better airflow that ends up always being mid range but you're much happier with the looks then by all means. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

15 hours ago, phil7990 said:

Sorry for my late answers. Didn't expect this so I didn't logged in to this site for a month. My case is +6 years.

The airflow is kind of concerning since it isn't a good tower actually. I choose this tower (from a brand where I didn't take the airflow into account) because of the white but as soon as I got it, usb's weren't working and all an the tower isn't so friendly with cablemanagement which actually might block some airflow.

Furthermore, I might not always stay with a mid ranged build + I have an rx590 which as you can see gets at a stable 80 degrees.
Lastly I have cats and dogs.

Idk I like to change it from time to time you don't need to do it but it's fun for me if I have extra money 

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Cables have 0 impact on airflow. Absolutely negligible. 

The front HDD and SSD cages are much more impeding of airflow than any cable could ever be. 

I'd recommend upgrading the case if/when you do go a higher end build. Switching out a case is the most time consuming part swap you can do because you have to disassemble your entire system to do it, so if you end up not doing it, them from a performance standpoint it's a waste. If you just really hate the look of it though and you want something flashier with a it better airflow that ends up always being mid range but you're much happier with the looks then by all means. 

Thank you for explaining. There are indeed some cages in the front which might prevent the flow. I'm just beginning to hate this case because it went from white to a bit of yellow due to someone smoking in the house. Can't get it white anymore and its stupid and dangerous to spray/paint white.

I'll see if I have the extra money or not. The most important things now are my psu and my cpu cooler. As you can see, my cpu mobo and ram are still in great shape.

I sometimes play aaa games but always on a 1080 144hz screen, which I most recently bought so this build is great for it untill some aaa game asks more then 4.0 ghz from my cpu or asks more from my gpu or 1 of the things in my build dies.

If your PSU dont give you any trouble[bsods, not powering PC after hitting power button, problems with waking up from sleep], then there's no need to change it. And these voltage monitoring programs are not reliable at all. All in all i wouldnt change PSU, as for the case its just cosmetics, since your case should have a good airflow with front mesh. I would advise saving money for new GPU instead. 

17 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

If you PSU dont give you any trouble, then there's no need to change it. And these voltage monitoring programs are not reliable at all. All in all i wouldnt change PSU, as for the case its just cosmetics, since your case should have a good airflow with front mesh. I would advise saving money for new GPU instead. 

The PSU did gave me trouble. About a week ago, I had troubles booting up. No screen, no mous, no keyboard, but everything else was working. At first I thought it was my ssd. I removed the panel from my case and put the pins out and back in again into he ssdd and it worked. I shot her down, and rebooted her, same problem. I had to reboot her manually for about 10 times this time. Still nothing. So I saw if the pins were sitting connected to my mobo, I then rebooted her again and it worked and it kept working up untill now. Called 1 of my local friends who build this computer, said it was the PSU. 6 years is long I'm afraid and these were the first signs that my PSU is losing out here.

I'm also after a CPU air cooler but my standard cooler is doing enough for now so I'm not out of this one yet either.

Casewise: Well it is indeed cosmetically. It's actually this pc once fell onto the ground and bits and pieces broke off and the case didn't close properly even before it fell onto the ground. But looking at the temps there is nothing wrong which is actually a good thing. I only need to make sure I dust it every 6 months since I have pets.

This GPU is 1 year old so meh, I'm not doing that.

So conclusion is: PSU is needed the rest is luxery! I got it! Thank you for answering!