Running out of plug here, is it safe or ok to use power strip?

So i have only two plugs for 1 wall outlet, so want to increase the plug-able plug so I can plug the monitor and the pc and other stuff. 

Does having a power strip ok ?? or is there any other options?

Yes, using a power strip is fine. If it wasn't, they wouldn't exist.

I personally have my PC, two monitors, hard drive dock,modem, and router all connected to my UPS, which is connected to a single outlet. I used to have all that and my speakers, along with my laptop for charging and sometimes even a second computer and third monitor, all off a single plug.

I'd recommend keeping the total load below around 12A (1440W) just to be safe.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Yes, one power strip is OK.

Chaining multiple power strips together is not a good idea, as some may have too thin wires for full load.

It's fine, but do not chain multiple ones and do not put max wattage through them like powerful electric oven just to be safe.

Also, when buying one, DO NOT get the cheapest you can find on eBay or whatever, those are definitely a fire hazard.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

52 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Yes, one power strip is OK.

Chaining multiple power strips together is not a good idea, as some may have too thin wires for full load.

Nervously laughs in own setup

Spoiler

JK

I know what my power stuff can take

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Nervously laughs in own setup

Hide contents

JK

I know what my power stuff can take

I'm curious. How do you know?

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

I'm curious. How do you know?

Some have power ratings, some I have just put a lot of power through and have not had fail.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 9/13/2019 at 11:04 PM, TheKDub said:

Yes, using a power strip is fine. If it wasn't, they wouldn't exist.

I personally have my PC, two monitors, hard drive dock,modem, and router all connected to my UPS, which is connected to a single outlet. I used to have all that and my speakers, along with my laptop for charging and sometimes even a second computer and third monitor, all off a single plug.

I'd recommend keeping the total load below around 12A (1440W) just to be safe.

ok found this on amazon : “monster surge protector” I don’t know if i want it but am I looking for joule or walt or amp?

5 hours ago, KevinD29 said:

ok found this on amazon : “monster surge protector” I don’t know if i want it but am I looking for joule or walt or amp?

Belkin is a fairly solid brand for this stuff.

The joule rating is for power surges (hence the name "surge protector"), meaning it can provide protection for surges up to 4320 joules/6000v.

It can handle 15A @ 125V (1875W), which is about all that your standard circuit breaker can handle, so it's perfectly fine.

You could go with a cheaper option too, but it's up to you.

I used an APC 6-outlet surge protector that covers up an outlet for a while. Worked great. Only stopped using it because I got a UPS with enough outlets.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

Belkin is a fairly solid brand for this stuff.

The joule rating is for power surges (hence the name "surge protector"), meaning it can provide protection for surges up to 4320 joules/6000v.

It can handle 15A @ 125V (1875W), which is about all that your standard circuit breaker can handle, so it's perfectly fine.

You could go with a cheaper option too, but it's up to you.

I used an APC 6-outlet surge protector that covers up an outlet for a while. Worked great. Only stopped using it because I got a UPS with enough outlets.

Ups is kinda expensive in my part (see mostly 100 +), what ups do you use?(ups is like a generator right like the pc won’t power off if power line is off?)

Theirs a sale right now will know what to do

48 minutes ago, KevinD29 said:

Ups is kinda expensive in my part (see mostly 100 +), what ups do you use?(ups is like a generator right like the pc won’t power off if power line is off?)

Theirs a sale right now will know what to do

A UPS is a battery backup. It's basically just a giant battery that keeps stuff connected to it powered in case of power loss. The more power you draw from it, the shorter it'll last. I haven't had any major power outages, so I'm not sure how long mine will last, but it has gotten me through several times where the power cut out then came back which otherwise would've shut off my PC.

Mine's an old belkin ups f6c1500-tw-rk. There are better options out there, and I don't think this one is made anymore. I got it for free (and had to replace the batteries in it), which is why I have/use it.

Figuring out how powerful of A UPS you need is a bit of a pain in the ass since they're rated in VA (Volt-Amps), which you'd think is the same as Watts, but it's not quite that simple. I don't fully understand it myself.

Here's the estimated runtime graph of a 1500VA UPS: (CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD)

image.png.b43c00d63a598ee4fb71bd9c045b0345.png

Drawing about 400W from it, you'd only get around 15 minutes of runtime, so don't start thinking you'll get hours of runtime. They're just intended to give you enough time to save everything and shutdown your PC, rather than it shutting down immediately and losing anything unsaved. (Also very nice to have if you've gotta do a BIOS update or some other update where turning off your PC will break something)

12 hours ago, TheKDub said:

A UPS is a battery backup. It's basically just a giant battery that keeps stuff connected to it powered in case of power loss. The more power you draw from it, the shorter it'll last. I haven't had any major power outages, so I'm not sure how long mine will last, but it has gotten me through several times where the power cut out then came back which otherwise would've shut off my PC.

Mine's an old belkin ups f6c1500-tw-rk. There are better options out there, and I don't think this one is made anymore. I got it for free (and had to replace the batteries in it), which is why I have/use it.

Figuring out how powerful of A UPS you need is a bit of a pain in the ass since they're rated in VA (Volt-Amps), which you'd think is the same as Watts, but it's not quite that simple. I don't fully understand it myself.

Here's the estimated runtime graph of a 1500VA UPS: (CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD)

image.png.b43c00d63a598ee4fb71bd9c045b0345.png

Drawing about 400W from it, you'd only get around 15 minutes of runtime, so don't start thinking you'll get hours of runtime. They're just intended to give you enough time to save everything and shutdown your PC, rather than it shutting down immediately and losing anything unsaved. (Also very nice to have if you've gotta do a BIOS update or some other update where turning off your PC will break something)

I know right?( also thinking about that, i need time to finish what i’m doing, 15 minutes is an ample amount of time  )

But right now I’m just going for the power strip surge protector then upgrade (if I feel that I want to) to ups.

4 hours ago, KevinD29 said:

I know right?( also thinking about that, i need time to finish what i’m doing, 15 minutes is an ample amount of time  )

But right now I’m just going for the power strip surge protector then upgrade (if I feel that I want to) to ups.

15 minutes should be plenty. It'll vary depending on what your hardware is, what all you have running off the UPS, and how intense of work you're doing.

The majority of UPS's also can connect to your PC with software to automatically put it to sleep, hibernate, or shut down when the UPS loses power or is low on battery. I'm sure there's a ton more you can do like email notifications and such depending on the software.

Mine unfortunately is so old that the software doesn't really work with Windows 10, so if we lose power for long enough and I'm not home, RIP whatever I forgot to save. Still great for short periods of no power though.

22 hours ago, TheKDub said:

15 minutes should be plenty. It'll vary depending on what your hardware is, what all you have running off the UPS, and how intense of work you're doing.

The majority of UPS's also can connect to your PC with software to automatically put it to sleep, hibernate, or shut down when the UPS loses power or is low on battery. I'm sure there's a ton more you can do like email notifications and such depending on the software.

Mine unfortunately is so old that the software doesn't really work with Windows 10, so if we lose power for long enough and I'm not home, RIP whatever I forgot to save. Still great for short periods of no power though.

Editing video (primarily premiere pro adobe).