Start Miner After Inactivity

Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

Task Scheduler can be used for this.

Open the Start Menu
Type "Task Scheduler" Note: It will take a moment to open. Give it time. 
Click Task Scheduler Library
Click "Action" in the top right corner
Click "Create a Task"
Name it whatever you want
Click the "Triggers" Tab
Click New...
Click the drop down box beside "Begin the task:"
Change it to "On Idle"
Click Ok.
Click the "Actions" tab.
Click New...
Click Browse...
Navigate to your miner or batch file directory and select the miner.exe or your batch file. Whichever works. 
Click Ok.
Click Ok.
Close Task Scheduler.

And that's it. You can get fancy with it and make it quit the program when it sees activity, but this should suffice since you can just quit it yourself when you get on the computer.

I have been running running GUI Miner to mine Litecoins when I am not using my computer, which has primarily been whilst sleeping and at school. I know there is a lot of time that I could be mining if I wasn't letting my computer idle when I forget to switch GUI Miner on. So I was wondering, is their any way to set a miner to start after 15 minutes of inactivity? I'm using Windows 7 by the way.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

My guess would be to make a program that checks when there is no mouse activity for, lets say a half an hour then it runs your mining program. Then you manually close the program when you want to use your computer. I'm not a programming expert but it's an idea.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I'm really showing my age here, but back in the days of Windows 98, there was an option to set the computer to launch a program when the screensaver came on. Now screensavers are pretty much a thing of the past, but maybe modern Windows still have that feature. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

you could probably do it with macro/scripting software and set an event trigger for away or whatever mode and have it do a set procedure to activate miners. 

Error: 410

Task Scheduler can be used for this.

Open the Start Menu
Type "Task Scheduler" Note: It will take a moment to open. Give it time. 
Click Task Scheduler Library
Click "Action" in the top right corner
Click "Create a Task"
Name it whatever you want
Click the "Triggers" Tab
Click New...
Click the drop down box beside "Begin the task:"
Change it to "On Idle"
Click Ok.
Click the "Actions" tab.
Click New...
Click Browse...
Navigate to your miner or batch file directory and select the miner.exe or your batch file. Whichever works. 
Click Ok.
Click Ok.
Close Task Scheduler.

And that's it. You can get fancy with it and make it quit the program when it sees activity, but this should suffice since you can just quit it yourself when you get on the computer.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Task Scheduler can be used for this. [editting in progress for steps to do it]

I found this too. It looks like to continue using GUI Miner I may need a script. But I believe if I had a .bat file for cgminer it would be really easy.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

I found this too. It looks like to continue using GUI Miner I may need a script. But I believe if I had a .bat file for cgminer it would be really easy.

You can use a .bat or a .conf file for your cgminer. 

The difference is that you would use the normal cgminer.exe all the time, rather than a .bat file. They do the same thing. The advantage of a .conf file is that it makes the information more neatly organized. That's about it.

You can make cgminer make it's own .conf file from your settings (once you've ran the bat) easily. Press S for Settings, Press W for "Write Config File" Press Enter so it uses the default cgminer.conf name. 

Also, I suggest using sgminer. It's more updated than cgminer.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Run Task Scheduler-Create new task (not basic)-run with highest privileges under general tab, name it whatever-go to triggers tab-hit new, hit on idle, click ok-hit actions tab- hit start a program- browse for your .bat file, hit ok-go to conditions tab-enter when you want to run the .bat file when your pc is idle under "start the task when the computer is idle for"-wait for idle for either never or 1 minute-then save by hitting ok. Should run your .bat file whenever your mouse is idle for the amount of time you selected.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @4200 | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | RAM: 8gb Crucial Ballistix @1600 | GPU: Evga GTX 660 TI x2 SLI | Case: Corsair C70 | Storage: WD Black 1TB, Samsung 830 126GB SSD, Kingston V300 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX850 | Display(s): ASUS 2ms 24inch 1920x1080 | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 13 | Mouse: Razer Naga 13 

You can use a .bat or a .conf file for your cgminer. 

The difference is that you would use the normal cgminer.exe all the time, rather than a .bat file. They do the same thing. The advantage of a .conf file is that it makes the information more neatly organized. That's about it.

You can make cgminer make it's own .conf file from your settings (once you've ran the bat) easily. Press S for Settings, Press W for "Write Config File" Press Enter so it uses the default cgminer.conf name. 

Also, I suggest using sgminer. It's more updated than cgminer.

Run Task Scheduler-Create new task (not basic)-run with highest privileges under general tab, name it whatever-go to triggers tab-hit new, hit on idle, click ok-hit actions tab- hit start a program- browse for your .bat file, hit ok-go to conditions tab-enter when you want to run the .bat file when your pc is idle under "start the task when the computer is idle for"-wait for idle for either never or 1 minute-then save by hitting ok. Should run your .bat file whenever your mouse is idle for the amount of time you selected.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I started by using GUI Miner because of the basic UI, but since their is money to be gained, I will look into a miner that starts automatically when launched. I will probably set the miner to stop when activity resumes as well. Then I won't even have to think about mining, and the money keeps rolling in.