what phone should i get

spartaman64

My note 4 finally died i think.

What phone should i get? I mostly use my phone to listen to music and I don't play games so i dont really need the fastest processor. 

it has to have a headphone jack and micro sd card.

The next two things i want is good audio (ie dac and amp i don't really care about the speakers) and good battery life (i guess asking for a removable battery is too much to ask for nowadays).

an IR blaster is nice to have since i used my note 4 as a remote a lot but not really needed

max budget is under 1000 

Galaxy S10?

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

An older one, but the Axon 7 was good with the headphones. I love my Nokia 7 plus, but it doesn't have the best light vs sun. 

LG G8 $850 unlocked (assuming that you live in the US)

SD Card Slot: ☑️

Good Audio: ☑️ with best in class Hi-Fi Quad DAC

Battery Life: decent

IR Blaster: ❌

Used alternative.

LG V20 ~$100

SD Card Slot: ☑️

Good Audio: ☑️ with best in class Hi-Fi Quad DAC

Battery Life: Poor to decent, with removable battery

IR Blaster: ☑️

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

17 minutes ago, josbeph83 said:

Galaxy S10?

I mean. For what its worth your wasting almost 500 dollars on shit your probably dont need. I would buy a LG v30 off ebay for 300 bucks and call it a day

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

I mean. For what its worth your wasting almost 500 dollars on shit your probably dont need. I would buy a LG v30 off ebay for 300 bucks and call it a day

I would grab the LG V20 for $100 due to it's removable battery, and call it a day.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I would grab the LG V20 for $100 due to it's removable battery, and call it a day.

Honestly I would take the IP rating and the OLED panel over the removable battery, but that just me

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Honestly I would take the IP rating and the OLED panel over the removable battery, but that just me

Fair enough, (I own a V20) I sometimes miss my old OLED from my S5, and that IP rating does provide peace of mind. But the removable battery is too hard for me to pass up.

14 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Fair enough, (I own a V20) I sometimes miss my old OLED from my S5, and that IP rating does provide peace of mind. But the removable battery is too hard for me to pass up.

Wouldn't you rather have a phone with decent battery life or fast charging, where you don't need to hot swap it?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Wouldn't you rather have a phone with decent battery life or fast charging, where you don't need to hot swap it?

The LG V20 has Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 and a user replaceable 3,200 mAh battery which is only 300 mAh smaller than the G8 and 100 mAh smaller than the V30. Thanks but I am afraid that I would rather take the 3,200 mAh, battery and a second battery on my person as backup.

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

The LG V20 has Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 and a user replaceable 3,200 mAh battery which is only 300 mAh smaller than the G8 and 100 mAh smaller than the V30. Thanks but I am afraid that I would rather take the 3,200 mAh, battery and a second battery on my person as backup.

Battery size does not always equate to better battery life.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

Battery size does not always equate to better battery life.

I know, but I rarely if ever need to swap out my battery. (last time I needed to was 2 months ago) generally speaking unless I am taking a billion photos, playing Minecraft with my younger siblings, or taking a break from driving on a trip, I generally (and I imagine others) don't really need more than what a V20 single battery can provide, but when I do, I generally need significantly more than what a V30 battery could provide, and I imagine that this would be a common occurrence for other users as well. Also because the battery is user removable I can use Quick Charge with little need to worry about battery degradation as a new battery is only equivalent to $20 USD, $400+ for a new phone that would have the features I or others would want or need. 

6 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

What phone should i get? I mostly use my phone to listen to music and I don't play games so i dont really need the fastest processor. 

The next two things i want is good audio (ie dac and amp i don't really care about the speakers) and good battery life (i guess asking for a removable battery is too much to ask for nowadays).

an IR blaster is nice to have since i used my note 4 as a remote a lot but not really needed

max budget is under 1000 

I'll echo what @Wh0_Am_1 is saying and recommend the LG V20; I owned one awhile back and it was a very good device. It checks all your boxes and even has that Quad DAC for better audio (I thought it was BS but it actually sounds really good). And that removable battery is a nice feature, it's nice going from 0% to 100% in a few seconds. Not to mention that when one battery wears down on charge cycles, for thirty bucks (USD) you can have a fresh one in no time.

A word of caution though if you go with the V20: it's VERY difficult to find OEM batteries and a charging dock for this phone. But if you can manage it, and put up with LGs abysmal software and lack of updates, it's still a solid device. 

On 9/11/2019 at 5:03 PM, spartaman64 said:

max budget is under 1000 

Google pixel 4 xl might be worth when it comes out if u want a larger phone. Not sure about the non xl ones. It looks like an iphone 11 max minus the stupid notch from what ive seen. 

It would be what id get if i was upgrading. Ill wait another year to see what apple comes up with as my 7 plus gets the job done and these phones are so expensive now. Samsungs a nogo for me. Hate curved screens and their software seems too buggy. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

On 9/13/2019 at 7:11 PM, maizenblue said:

Google pixel 4 xl might be worth when it comes out if u want a larger phone. Not sure about the non xl ones. It looks like an iphone 11 max minus the stupid notch from what ive seen. 

It would he what id get if i was upgrading. Ill wait another year to see what apple comes up with as my 7 plus gets the job done and these phones are so expensive now. Samsungs a nogo for me. Hate curved screens and their software seems too buggy. 

pretty sure they wont a headphone jack though and i dont want to bring a dongle with me everywhere or throw out my sennheiser headphones and buy bluetooth ones