Should I buy one or two more exhaust fans?

Ultranub

Hi all, 

Recently got my first PC. I'm pretty sure my temperatures are fine but I'd like to squeeze as much airflow as I can out of this system, just to be safe. I understand my case isn't particularly great for that, but I want to do as much as I can anyway. (Also my Ryzen 3700x is surprisingly loud as hell even when just browsing the web, would this help with that at all or no?)

I was about to buy two more of the BitFenix fans I already have, but maybe just one would be better for positive pressure or... something? Not sure, very new to all this. I'm intimidated just knowing I'll have to install the fans myself (I had someone build this for me).

Thanks in advance.

Specs:

NZXT H500 Mid Tower Gaming Case
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (stock cooler)
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz
Corsair TX650M 650W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" HDD
x2 BitFenix Spectre PWM 140mm Fan - White (front intake)
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 8GB
Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO (non-Wifi) Motherboard

System pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

20190907-170836.jpg

buying more fans to replace the stock ones won't help much, or even at all. the noise from the 3700x is probably because the stock cooler isn't the best. it's good enough for the 3700x but because it has a small fan, the fan has to spin much faster to reach a decent amount of airflow, which increases noise a lot

what exactly are your load temps? if the noise really bothers you, you might be able to reduce the fan speed to reduce noise if your cpu and gpu temps are low

also, h500's airflow is surprisingly good for a case with a solid metal front panel, although it's not as good as other cases on the market

30 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

buying more fans to replace the stock ones won't help much, or even at all. the noise from the 3700x is probably because the stock cooler isn't the best. it's good enough for the 3700x but because it has a small fan, the fan has to spin much faster to reach a decent amount of airflow, which increases noise a lot

what exactly are your load temps? if the noise really bothers you, you might be able to reduce the fan speed to reduce noise if your cpu and gpu temps are low

also, h500's airflow is surprisingly good for a case with a solid metal front panel, although it's not as good as other cases on the market

Oh, OK. To be honest the only reason why I'd even thought about this was because someone on another forum recommended I get some exhaust fans, as it would apparently "create a hotbox" otherwise. It's the noise that bothers me the most though, really. I'm surprised this is apparently normal as I know other people with Ryzens that stay pretty quiet outside of gaming. During games it can get as loud as it wants, I don't mind, but I'm not sure why it's whooshing around as I scroll through Twitter.

Temps with barely anything running:

spacer.png

Temps with MSI Kombustor running:
spacer.png

Temps after running Doom for about ten minutes (1440p/144fps):
spacer.png

I have these pics too, if it helps. (The RAM is running at 3200MHz now)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Your temps aren't particularly high, and that fan curve is fairly aggressive. This will require some testing, but I would recommend that you experiment with fan curve. Like move the point when it goes max to 75C. And adjust rest accordingly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As mentioned, adjusting your fan speeds may solve your issue with noise. If you do need to replace something, a new cpu cooler would probably make a much bigger difference in reducing noise than new case fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@LogicalDrmSorry about the late reply, but thanks for posting.

Is this what you meant about moving it to 75C? Hasn't made a difference in noise so far, not sure whether to move the others forward or back or what. Honestly haven't got a clue about any of this, and don't want to just move stuff around when I don't really know what I'm doing.

20190911_210815 (1).jpg

12 minutes ago, Ultranub said:

@LogicalDrmSorry about the late reply, but thanks for posting.

Is this what you meant about moving it to 75C? Hasn't made a difference in noise so far, not sure whether to move the others forward or back or what. Honestly haven't got a clue about any of this, and don't want to just move stuff around when I don't really know what I'm doing.

20190911_210815 (1).jpg

Something like that. You have now linear curve. As in it increases temps and speeds at same pace. But you could also make it more logarithmic where it only ramps to higher speeds when certain temps (gaming etc. high load) is crossed. curve1.PNG.353d880b255060efb3d92ab5fc0e20f8.PNGcurve2.PNG.a16828026f83f69f84a1f3c4047ce9ab.PNG

Here are two of my curves. First is linear for CPU cooler, 2nd is more logarithmic for GPU cooler. Both are from testing where noise is too much and where increasing fan speed doesn't matter for temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

35 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Something like that. You have now linear curve. As in it increases temps and speeds at same pace. But you could also make it more logarithmic where it only ramps to higher speeds when certain temps (gaming etc. high load) is crossed. curve1.PNG.353d880b255060efb3d92ab5fc0e20f8.PNGcurve2.PNG.a16828026f83f69f84a1f3c4047ce9ab.PNG

Here are two of my curves. First is linear for CPU cooler, 2nd is more logarithmic for GPU cooler. Both are from testing where noise is too much and where increasing fan speed doesn't matter for temps.

Thanks. I originally tried to go for something sort of like your first graph but I think I've kinda botched it, lol.

According to Ryzen Master my temperatures keep fluctuating even when idle, is that normal? Because of the fan curve I've set it means my fan keeps turning on and off just while browsing (quick vid), will probably change that in a minute. Doesn't feel right.

But with the previous curve I tried before this, it would be generally pretty quiet, then suddenly whoosh, it's loud for a few seconds, then back to quiet again, etc etc. I was trying to make it just stay off or on a low speed until it gets to a around 60C or so, unless that's a bad idea.

Current botched curve:

20190911_222944.jpg

On 9/8/2019 at 3:14 PM, _d0nut said:

^ Stock cooler is gorgeous (2700X had the same one, and I had one of those) but gets noisy when it ramps up. As for case fans, you're fine. 2-3 in the front (depending on size, most mid towers run 2x140mm or 3x120mm) and 1 in the back makes for nice clean airflow in the front and out the back. A tower cooler for your CPU would be better since it works with that airflow (fan pushes air in the front and out the back vs sucking it down onto the mobo like the stock cooler does), and if you get a good one it'll be quieter. I'd recommend something from Noctua*, or BeQuiet/Thermalright/Cryorig if you can find ones that haven't been murdered by tariffs. 

*I recommend them first because they're very high quality, but mostly because they use a logical mounting bracket that makes it so you only have to tighten two screws on the cooler (they usually include the screwdriver on the taller coolers that need a long one like the NH-D15/D15S) to get it on and off, and that's standard across all their coolers except the really low profile ones like my AM4 specific L9a. 

You're only pushing around 61-62C though, so like the others said you can probably just tone down the fan curves if you don't wanna replace the cooler. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

30 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

^ Stock cooler is gorgeous (2700X had the same one, and I had one of those) but gets noisy when it ramps up. As for case fans, you're fine. 2-3 in the front (depending on size, most mid towers run 2x140mm or 3x120mm) and 1 in the back makes for nice clean airflow in the front and out the back. A tower cooler for your CPU would be better since it works with that airflow (fan pushes air in the front and out the back vs sucking it down onto the mobo like the stock cooler does), and if you get a good one it'll be quieter. I'd recommend something from Noctua*, or BeQuiet/Thermalright/Cryorig if you can find ones that haven't been murdered by tariffs. 

*I recommend them first because they're very high quality, but mostly because they use a logical mounting bracket that makes it so you only have to tighten two screws on the cooler (they usually include the screwdriver on the taller coolers that need a long one like the NH-D15/D15S) to get it on and off, and that's standard across all their coolers except the really low profile ones like my AM4 specific L9a. 

You're only pushing around 61-62C though, so like the others said you can probably just tone down the fan curves if you don't wanna replace the cooler. 

Thanks for posting. Even if it barely improves cooling I think I will buy one more white 140mm fan to stick in the back, as now that my CPU fan keeps turning off I realise the pre-installed ones in the case are actually a bit louder than I thought.

Ideally I'd like to make this cooler work so I'll continue to try and tweak the noise/speed.

1 hour ago, Ultranub said:

But with the previous curve I tried before this, it would be generally pretty quiet, then suddenly whoosh, it's loud for a few seconds, then back to quiet again, etc etc. I was trying to make it just stay off or on a low speed until it gets to a around 60C or so, unless that's a bad idea.

With good case airflow, leaving the cpu fan off or low is fine. I'd recommend low speeds over off if possible. 

Your curve is somewhat more aggressive than the stock since it hits 100% rpm at 70c instead of 75c. 

Just now, Ultranub said:

I realise the pre-installed ones in the case are actually a bit louder than I thought.

Have you tried tweaking the case fans speeds?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, Ultranub said:

Thanks. I originally tried to go for something sort of like your first graph but I think I've kinda botched it, lol.

According to Ryzen Master my temperatures keep fluctuating even when idle, is that normal? Because of the fan curve I've set it means my fan keeps turning on and off just while browsing (quick vid), will probably change that in a minute. Doesn't feel right.

Current botched curve:

20190911_222944.jpg

Temps respond to load. Which is why I've set CPU fans start at 45C, not 39C which my idle. I have different CPU than you, but generally under 30% load my temps are under 50C. Getting speeds correct will require testing and adjusting. I've done to all my fan curves, and I didn't post curves for case fans as they will look weird.

The latest curve you have is maybe bit too aggressive, but you don't know without using and tweaking it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

^ Stock cooler is gorgeous (2700X had the same one, and I had one of those)

100% agree