Safe temps for Xeon x5670?

Hey guyz

Sorry for my bad english.

I have a xeon x5670 and i am overclocking it .. my motherboard is asus p6t.. the max overclock i was able to hit was 4.32 ghz at 1.4v.. after running aida64 stress test for about an hour.. my cpu didn't throttle.. but my avg temps are from 85 to 89c.. are they safe? I know they are not VERY SAFE.. but i am okay with hurting my cpu a little bit..

4 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

I know they are not VERY SAFE.. but i am okay with hurting my cpu a little bit..

Then you have just answered your own question.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

According to Intel the max Tcase temp is 81.3°C going beyond that you might just be reducing it's lifespan by a bit.

But...

I know they are not VERY SAFE.. but i am okay with hurting my cpu a little bit..

I guess it's..."ok"...then. If that's a risk you're willing to take.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

According to Intel the max Tcase temp is 81.3°C going beyond that you might just be reducing it's lifespan by a bit.

But...

^^^. I pushed 1.45v on my X5670 chasing a 4.7Ghz or so OC (got 4.74Ghz kinda stable, needed some more tweaking but I haven't messed with it for a good while), but that was on a custom loop where the CPU maxed in the 60s. 89C won't kill your CPU super fast, but it's not that healthy. 

You'll get better performance by dropping to 4.2Ghz, lowering voltage, then pushing the uncore as high as possible and fine tuning your RAM (I got my 1600Mhz CL9 3x8GB kit to around 2100Mhz 10-11-11-31, a pretty good improvement), as well as making sure you run 3 sticks for that triple channel bandwidth, you can get close to what stock dual channel DDR4 does (the newer X79 platform can run quad channel DDR3, which makes it easier to catch up). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

But...

Like i mean.. i don't want to take that risk which will end up broking my chip in a month :|

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^. I pushed 1.45v on my X5670 chasing a 4.7Ghz or so OC (got 4.74Ghz kinda stable, needed some more tweaking but I haven't messed with it for a good while), but that was on a custom loop where the CPU maxed in the 60s. 89C won't kill your CPU super fast, but it's not that healthy. 

You'll get better performance by dropping to 4.2Ghz, lowering voltage, then pushing the uncore as high as possible and fine tuning your RAM (I got my 1600Mhz CL9 3x8GB kit to around 2100Mhz 10-11-11-31, a pretty good improvement), as well as making sure you run 3 sticks for that triple channel bandwidth, you can get close to what stock dual channel DDR4 does (the newer X79 platform can run quad channel DDR3, which makes it easier to catch up). 

Actually i find out i wasn't actually hitting 89c :| .. cpu package average was at low 80s and most of the cores was also at low 80s.. one of the cores has a average temp of 87c

21 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

Hey guyz

Sorry for my bad english.

I have a xeon x5670 and i am overclocking it .. my motherboard is asus p6t.. the max overclock i was able to hit was 4.32 ghz at 1.4v.. after running aida64 stress test for about an hour.. my cpu didn't throttle.. but my avg temps are from 85 to 89c.. are they safe? I know they are not VERY SAFE.. but i am okay with hurting my cpu a little bit..

Typically a CPU is designed to handle temps up to around 95C or so. 85C to 89C are a bit high - you're pushing the upper limits of the temperature range, but it should be fine.

Technically, the IHS (heat spreader) has a maximum safe temperature of 81.3C:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/47920/intel-xeon-processor-x5670-12m-cache-2-93-ghz-6-40-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

The thermal sensor is likely measuring core temps rather than the Heat Spreader temps though, so some variation is expected. If you're super paranoid, find someone you know with a thermal temperature gun and take some readings of the socket and around the CPU and see what it says.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, Muhammad Osama said:

Actually i find out i wasn't actually hitting 89c :| .. cpu package average was at low 80s and most of the cores was also at low 80s.. one of the cores has a average temp of 87c

1800mhz on my ram was stable.. now I'll try to hit 2000mhz.. can you tell me what voltage should i go for in ram oc?

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I also wanna know that my bios let me go for 24x multiplier but when i go for a stress test or any test it will immediately bring the multiplier to 22x as i was able to see through cpu z.. can this prob be solved?

1 minute ago, Muhammad Osama said:

Still hot but like @dalekphalm said CPUs can actually handle higher. It's really what you're comfortable with pushing, these LGA 1366 Xeons can take a lot of abuse before giving up, and I got my X5670 for $14 which was a decent deal, they're not too expensive to replace. I'd still see what voltage your CPU does 4.2 at, it may be a much healthier one. My 5820K wants over 1.4v just to push 4.7GHz, whereas I can drop it all the way down to 1.32v for a stable 4.6Ghz, a loss of only 100Mhz (not noticeable in real world use) for a full .8v reduction, meaning my CPU can live a lot longer (1.4v is iffy on Haswell-E). Point being CPUs don't scale perfectly with voltage, you may be able to drop it by a huge amount and only lose 100-200Mhz, which you won't ever notice in actual use (you will notice the lower temps though). 

I also wanna know that my bios let me go for 24x multiplier but when i go for a stress test or any test it will immediately bring the multiplier to 22x as i was able to see through cpu z.. can this prob be solved?

I assume that's turbo boost doing its thing since your CPU is running hot (like I said I haven't tinkered with my X58 stuff in a while). You can disable c states so it doesn't downclock and stuff, but if you disable turbo boost it'll sit at the base clock no matter what you set it to (at least in my experience). 

I could've been more help like a year and a half ago when I ran an ASUS mobo (Rampage III Formula, but ASUS usually has a consistent BIOS across all tiers on a platform), but all my X58 rigs now are on EVGA Classified boards, the BIOS setup is a good bit different. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Still hot but like @dalekphalm said CPUs can actually handle higher. It's really what you're comfortable with pushing, these LGA 1366 Xeons can take a lot of abuse before giving up, and I got my X5670 for $14 which was a decent deal, they're not too expensive to replace. I'd still see what voltage your CPU does 4.2 at, it may be a much healthier one. My 5820K wants over 1.4v just to push 4.7GHz, whereas I can drop it all the way down to 1.32v for a stable 4.6Ghz, a loss of only 100Mhz (not noticeable in real world use) for a full .8v reduction, meaning my CPU can live a lot longer (1.4v is iffy on Haswell-E). Point being CPUs don't scale perfectly with voltage, you may be able to drop it by a huge amount and only lose 100-200Mhz, which you won't ever notice in actual use (you will notice the lower temps though). 

I assume that's turbo boost doing its thing since your CPU is running hot (like I said I haven't tinkered with my X58 stuff in a while). You can disable c states so it doesn't downclock and stuff, but if you disable turbo boost it'll sit at the base clock no matter what you set it to (at least in my experience). 

I could've been more help like a year and a half ago when I ran an ASUS mobo (Rampage III Formula, but ASUS usually has a consistent BIOS across all tiers on a platform), but all my X58 rigs now are on EVGA Classified boards, the BIOS setup is a good bit different. 

I can't see an option of c state in my bios.. and changing multiplier automatically remove the option of turbo it only shows the speed step which i have disabled.. and i did set my voltage to 1.42 and tried to achieve 4.4 but it didn't work.. then i tried 3.75 it did boot on that but my temps immediately rise upto high 90s and my cpu starts to throttle.. thats why i reduced that.. and can you tell me where could i find c state?

I can't see an option of c state in my bios.. and changing multiplier automatically remove the option of turbo it only shows the speed step which i have disabled.. and i did set my voltage to 1.42 and tried to achieve 4.4 but it didn't work.. then i tried 3.75 it did boot on that but my temps immediately rise upto high 90s and my cpu starts to throttle.. thats why i reduced that.. and can you tell me where could i find c state?

.... I hope you mean 3.75Ghz and not 3.75v? 
3ee849bd-8cfc-40b3-98ba-2e39b2ec8c2f.png.0a383abbf8f6aa467ec512dd02c41ba6.png

If you can't hit 4.4 at 1.42 or so I'd dial it back, 1.4-1.42 is the absolute max I'd do on air for a daily OC. And speedstep would be the thing you want disabled (I forgot what it was called). 

What BLCK are you pushing? You usually focus on the BLCK and only use the multiplier to make sure your clocks don't go wack, it's a bit of a balancing act. 

Main PC 

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

.... I hope you mean 3.75Ghz and not 3.75v? 
3ee849bd-8cfc-40b3-98ba-2e39b2ec8c2f.png.0a383abbf8f6aa467ec512dd02c41ba6.png

If you can't hit 4.4 at 1.42 or so I'd dial it back, 1.4-1.42 is the absolute max I'd do on air for a daily OC. And speedstep would be the thing you want disabled (I forgot what it was called). 

What BLCK are you pushing? You usually focus on the BLCK and only use the multiplier to make sure your clocks don't go wack, it's a bit of a balancing act. 

Sorry i meant 4.375 ghz.. now it would make sense to you i guess.. and my multiplier is at 22x and bclk at 196

1 minute ago, Muhammad Osama said:

Sorry i meant 4.375 ghz.. now it would make sense to you i guess.. and my multiplier is at 22x and bclk at 196

Ah yeah that’s all good. Seems you found your thermal limit, 1.42v is too much for your cooling setup to handle. Meaning you should work in the 1.38-1.4v zone to get the best clocks possible. And again, don’t forget the uncore and RAM, core clocks are not the only things that matter on X58. Someone pushing a higher uncore on a 4.2Ghz chip can beat one at 4.5Ghz. 

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Ah yeah that’s all good. Seems you found your thermal limit, 1.42v is too much for your cooling setup to handle. Meaning you should work in the 1.38-1.4v zone to get the best clocks possible. And again, don’t forget the uncore and RAM, core clocks are not the only things that matter on X58. Someone pushing a higher uncore on a 4.2Ghz chip can beat one at 4.5Ghz. 

So i should increase the uncore freq and try to find the sweet spot?

2 minutes ago, Muhammad Osama said:

So i should increase the uncore freq and try to find the sweet spot?

They can go up to... 3.something depending on the bin, most can't go any past that? There's some good OC guides if you surf through the X58 thread in my sig, or Tech Yes City made a solid one for tuning a 4.2Ghz OC for a 24/7 rig:

Main PC 

10 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

They can go up to... 3.something depending on the bin, most can't go any past that? There's some good OC guides if you surf through the X58 thread in my sig, or Tech Yes City made a solid one for tuning a 4.2Ghz OC for a 24/7 rig:

Thanks for helping me alot :)