Unable to install Windows 10 X570 NVMe RAID

VincentvV

I am running into a very frustrating issue. Whenever I try to install Windows 10 on my new X570 Aorus Elite it gives me one of two errors:

0xc0000005 or Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation.

My system:
Aorus X570 Elite
Ryzen 3900X
G.skill 3600C14
2 x nvme Evo Plus 970 250Gb
EVGA GTX1080

I have tried changing the ram with my older kits that were operational without success. I have tried running memtest86 on the new G.Skill modules and they came up with 0 errors. I have tried 3 differen USB sticks. I have followed the instructions for setting up the bios as per the manual. First set controller to RAID and CSM to disabled, reboot, create the array. I have tried running diskpart before install to clean the drive and after a successful clean no joy. I tried reformatting the disk with diskpart, still no joy.

The install just stops at 0% copying files, about 3-4 seconds after pressing the install button.

Does anybody have any ideas on what to try or is my hardware defective?

Regards,

Vincent

Gonna ask why nvme raid, esp with slower small drives. Just get a single bigger and faster ssd.

Really, don't do nvme raid unless you have to, and its not helping you here.

Does disk part show a single drive?

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Gonna ask why nvme raid, esp with slower small drives. Just get a single bigger and faster ssd.

Really, don't do nvme raid unless you have to, and its not helping you here.

Does disk part show a single drive?

+1 - two slower drives in raid will ALWAYS have more issues than one faster drive by itself. Especially since you have PCIe 4.0, raid is next to pointless. Just get a 4GB/s SSD and call it a day.

Instead of complaining about the choice of parts, let's try to help.

Does it work if you try it with just 1 drive?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Unfortunately using only 1 disk and setting the bios to default yields the same results. With CSM support enabled I receive the “Windows could not prepare to boot into the next phase of installation” error. With CSM support disabled I receive the windows error 0xc0000005.

I understand the choice of the disks might not be the most logical, but it seemed like a fun experiment to me. When installing windows on raid the drives do not show as 1 disk until after installing the drivers for raid from the Gigabyte website.

2 hours ago, VincentvV said:

Unfortunately using only 1 disk and setting the bios to default yields the same results. With CSM support enabled I receive the “Windows could not prepare to boot into the next phase of installation” error. With CSM support disabled I receive the windows error 0xc0000005.

I understand the choice of the disks might not be the most logical, but it seemed like a fun experiment to me. When installing windows on raid the drives do not show as 1 disk until after installing the drivers for raid from the Gigabyte website.

what version of windows 10, try redownloading and running 1903. Also give linux a shot to check if its a hardware issue

It’s version 1903 as far as I can tell, freshly downloaded from the Microsoft website.

I have never used linux before, where would I get my hands on it?

Hello all,

I just tried to install Ubuntu and that worked without any problems straight out of the box, albeit only on one of the SSD's. It didn't seem to see the RAID array but that might also be down to my inexperience with anything other than Windows.

The installer for windows still refuses to install, whether it is on the RAID array after installing the drivers as per the gigabyte manual and tons of youtube tutorials, or just installing on a single SSD (NVMe or SATA, always leaving just the disk I want to try to install to in the system).

I'm installing windows with CSM disabled and secure boot enabled as per the instructions I found. With secure boot disabled it's still the same issue. Latest attempt was made with the BIOS rolled back to version F3 however the issue persists. I will try putting BIOS F4j back on to see if that helps (it was on the system before).

Does anyone have any other clues on what to try?

Well somehow I managed to get it to work, followed the manual's instructions to the letter, except changed stripe size to 64. Also the Gigabyte manual was missing the last driver that has to be installed during the windows installation. It should be bottom, controller, config. The last one is missing in the manual.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 2:41 AM, VincentvV said:

Well somehow I managed to get it to work, followed the manual's instructions to the letter, except changed stripe size to 64. Also the Gigabyte manual was missing the last driver that has to be installed during the windows installation. It should be bottom, controller, config. The last one is missing in the manual.

Hi,

I'm running into the same issues. I'm using 2 x AORUS 1gb NVMe in raid 0. Can create the raid array but can't get windows to detect the raid to install W10. Can you link to the manual and drivers you used? The Gigabyte site is a bit naff at explaining exactly what to do.

Also needed to turn XMP on to get the RAM running at full speed.

• 4 weeks later...

I found that this particular issue was due to having another USB Drive that I had the raid drivers on still plugged in. If you unplug it before selecting the disk to install to it will install.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am seeing a similar issue with my new X570 Aorus Elite. Setup two PCIe Gen4 NVMe drives in a RAID0 thought the BIOS. 

BIOS sees a 1.9tb array but when I go to install Windows 10 (1903), the installer sees two seperate 1tb drives. Tried using the Windows preboot drivers from Gigabyte but then once the Gigabyte drives load, Windows doesn't see anything for drives. 

I am stuck here. Anyone have any ideas? 

• 5 weeks later...

After a few tries i managed to get it working:

x570 aorus master

3 x nvme 4.0 saberant rocket

i flashed by bios with the latest version

installed on a usb the following:

latest windows 10

latest bios

nvme raid drivers (located in downloads on motherboard page unzip folder and put on usb)

driver below:

AMD RAID Preinstall Driver
(Note) Win10 ver.1903 supported.
(Note) Windows setup to read from USB thumb drive.

Bios

in bios go to advanced

go to IO ports under configuration(one of the tabs i think its configuration)

go to sata and turn change it to raid

enable nvme raid

save and reboot into bios (unsure if this step is necessary)

go to raid configuration

set up your raid 0 (initialize drives then create array)

on the boot page make sure you have csm enabled

boot option to UEFI only

Windows 10 install:

go to load drivers and to the nvme folder and load the first driver

GO BACK to folder and add another driver that will appear

GO BACK to folder and add third and final driver

three drivers total

this should then have your drive appear (DO NOT CLICK *new this will mess up your raid and you have to delete and rebuild it) select the drive and hit next

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. I accidentally manually installed RAID driver for my storage (after I have successfully installed Windows lol), and now it refuses to boot. Reinstall windows give the same two error messages under different BIOS mode.

I do not want to use RAID at all (that's why it is an accident), but switching SATA mode back to AHCI the problem still persists, and I still get the same errors when trying to install Windows. I tried to delete all arrays (or init and delete or a lot of other combinations) when switching SATA modes, no luck.

Could anyone point out what could I do next to normally install Windows under AHCI? Thanks in advance.

• 7 months later...

Honestly I think AMD NVME Raid support is rough. AMD Raid support in general has been poor at beast and I picked up a Aorus Master X570 and 2 Samsung Evo 970+ and within a few hours array went critical complaining one drive is bad. I swapped slots it follows drive. I exchange drive and put this drive in different slot to start. Rebuild array and again a few hours later Array goes critical and says the new drive is bad. I move this drive to the thirs NVMe slot and rebuild and again goes bad. Could I have 2 bad Samsung NVMe, back to back, maybe. If so then Samsung QA is bad, or maybe damn X570 and AMD BIOS is buggy. Just enabling RAId in chipset by disabling CSM and going only UEFI makes the BIOS laggy and the mouse not fully work, so I thing AMD still needs to do some work. Back to traditional SATA SSD for me. While camp Blue may not be as inexpensive or run as cool, they have a great deal of maturity in their BIOS and support Chipset features.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I finally have this sorted out. I was installing Win 10 June 2020 2004 update. I was using drivers straight from AMD assuming they were the latest. BIOS F21 was released and I flashed to F21. I purchased 2 new Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB drives as they were on sale. I Downloaded latest drivers from Gigabyte, yeah I should have checked first, I know. Install Ed Win 10 loaded drivers during install and was good to go. So far been over 5 days and very solid. I was not sure I wanted to trust the m.2 Gigabyte heat sinks so I got a bracket that mounts across the slots and has a mounting bar to mount 2 92mm fans pointing down to m.2 slots and chipset to keep it all cool. 

UEFI enabled and CSM disables the BIOS menus are a mess and have to use keyboard instead. Still don’t think I would buy Gigabyte again.

one area I am pleased with is air cooling.i went with Noctura Nh-U14S with the second fan and on my 3900X I can get 4.1GHz and after 25 minutes the CPU tops out at 73C. I also found that Artic MX4 was slightly better than the supplied Noctura paste by about 2C, both still over 20C within the thermal limit of the CPU.