Re: Let's talk about our big mistake... - AMD Ryzen 2nd vs 3rd Gen - LTT, can you stop flip flopping please?

BlueGoliath
Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Please keep comments in compliance with our Community Standards.

If this thread becomes too much of a flamewar, it will be locked.

5 minutes ago, BlueGoliath said:

Also, it does dip under 60. You're probably just jumping into the same area to see FPS which is less demanding than other areas in the game.

No one cares about the .1% of the time that a processor dips below 60 except you. And in that case, you should avoid Intel processors as well.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

38 minutes ago, BlueGoliath said:

Getting 3600Mhz on first generation is a bit hard to believe but maybe on certain 2 DIMMM kits it is possible now after AMD partially fixed their crappy memory support. What insane voltage is the memory controller running at?

Also, it does dip under 60. You're probably just jumping into the same area to see FPS which is less demanding than other areas in the game.

You don't have to believe it, the benchmarks are in my Signature.  Look at it, 3600mhz, 4.2ghz.  I have 2 golden samples I play with.  I also run another at stock with 3200mhz...look at the benches in sig (links).

Im glad you can come up with excuses for me I don't see driving 100 mph through cities, on skylines, and flying - those 60 FPS.  But I also know, no matter how much you WILL it to not perform - it does.

EDIT - still giggling on the "bit hard to believe" portion.  My 4.1ghz OC (Cant get a R20 pass @ 4.2) beats out a 5.0ghz 8086k as well in Cinebench.  Bit hard to believe but your beliefs don't matter in the face of hard numbers.  And yes I have those screenshots as well.  My R7 1700 is in the top 10 for R20 runs.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

32 minutes ago, BlueGoliath said:

Getting 3600Mhz on first generation is a bit hard to believe but maybe on certain 2 DIMMM kits it is possible now after AMD partially fixed their crappy memory support. What insane voltage is the memory controller running at?

Stock Voltages on memory.  The only thing this OCer does is hit XMP, and change the multiplier on the CPU to 4200, and voltage to where it needs to be.  I was told to put an 1.15v SOC or some crap but I don't need it.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

you asked for video showing it maintaining 60 or higher which all three videos show it maintaining for long periods of time.

Apparently you don't know what the word "stable" means. Or you're just bending it to suit your own personal definition.

If you're not gonna accept the evidence because it's not showing it going at 100 fps, well then you don't understand how evidence and language and arguments work, which has been evident thus far.

So... what? If the FPS is about 100 in one part of the game you say it's 100FPS throughout? How the hell does that work? That's some real stupid logic right there. I guess those .01% lows that tech YouTubers go on about mean nothing.

I can play minecraft on my current computer at 150-200 fps with ease, but if I walk past 3 creepers and they all explode, my rates will fall for a moment and then return to stable numbers.

Of course you play Minecraft.

I'd laugh but it's actually quite sad how little perspective you hold without making claims that we said it would do this or that at this exact fps with these exact conditions, never once dropping even for a second like every other game in existence.

Oh, so now it isn't a stable 60+ FPS. Yeah, OK. Just admit you're wrong and can't read numbers correctly.

More claims that no one ever said you'd see, but we're somehow wrong cuz you claimed we claimed it and we have no evidence of the unrealistic standard that you said we said it could acheive.

There was a comment posted earlier about 100+ FPS being achievable according to UserBenchmark. You might wanna get your eyes checked since you can neither read plain text nor watch videos properly.

There was no quick succession generalization

Yes there was.

I never said the videos showed it running perfect never dropping for even a second below 60 fps.

Stable.

People responded normally and you didn't thank them for answering your question like you asked them to do

So you don't know what I was referring to but are absolutely sure that people responded normally. Seems legit.

And no, claiming there is something wrong with my hardware isn't an answer to why they flip flop so much. There isn't anything wrong with my hardware. The cinebench score above is where it should be.

I'm not an expert on benchmarking or motherboards or bios settings. 

Yeah, you don't know anything and it's plain as day to tell. I'm guessing you, like many others, watch LTT's videos and believe everything they say and do as if it were gospel. It would explain the white knighting from people who don't even own a Ryzen CPU yet somehow know how well it performs.

I can imagine you trying to OC your memory only to test it in memtest86, getting a few errors, and saying "it's only a few errors so it's stable". That seems to be the mentality you and others here have.

Also using the often wasteland that is Youtube comments as an argument against a group of people on a forum is a ridiculous generalization on your part, something you seem to be accusing others of.

Nevermind how ironic it is of you to accuse me of generalizing but uh... What's being generalized? Those are real comments on the YouTube video from people who actually understand the responsibility a tech reviewer has, unlike people here. Going by this thread and the indirect white knighting(trolling, flaiming, deraling, etc) that has happened it's clear people don't understand the influence that LTT has and the accountability that they should be held to.

So instead of trolling and starting flamewars with strangers on a forum, how about you fix the problem you see by doing it your way on your own channel. And if you provide quality reasoning, evidence, and make good content, we'll come watch.

Trolling? Yeah, OK. Who was the one that posted the kit-kat image again?

I will not be wasting anymore time trying to explain basic critical thinking skills to you or diving down to the level of non-productive banter you enjoy. Have an excellent day.

This has to be the third or fourth time hearing this yet people still come back to at least read and sometimes leave likes on comments If you people don't want anything to do with the thread then leave already, christ.

42 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Stock Voltages on memory.  The only thing this OCer does is hit XMP, and change the multiplier on the CPU to 4200, and voltage to where it needs to be.  I was told to put an 1.15v SOC or some crap but I don't need it.

I'm getting 3133Mhz on a 4 DIMM Corsair LPX 3200 kit @ 1.375V memory controller. Been hoping AMD gets their crap together and improves memory support but it looks like it isn't gonna happen.

I've heard only using 2 DIMMs make a difference but damn, that's impressive. What timings?

1 hour ago, BlueGoliath said:

I'm getting 3133Mhz on a 4 DIMM Corsair LPX 3200 kit @ 1.375V memory controller. Been hoping AMD gets their crap together and improves memory support but it looks like it isn't gonna happen.

I've heard only using 2 DIMMs make a difference but damn, that's impressive. What timings?

The way I look at it is - 2133mhz chokes the life out of the CPU, I have the kits to show that.  @ 2666mhz they do well.  If you get a chip that can push faster (first gen) than you really start to open up the throttle.  @ 3600mhz I crash around 1 time a night while playing game due to this high frequency.  On my Ryzen Rig 1 in sig @ 3200mhz....crash 1 time a week or less.  @2666mhz no crashes ever, but lower FPS in games.

I only use 2 dimms in all 3 cases (I have 2133mhz CL 14, 3200mhz CL16 and 3600mhz CL18 2x8gb kits)

The 3600mhz is CL 18 -something-something I Can post the timings tonight from home - and from my extensive benching - Frequency over timings all day long for Ryzen first gen.  Timings are nice, frequency gives me the most FPS.

I should also mention, my kits are Patriot, V-Color and V-Color so brands are pretty "low end" (we know who produces the memory chips however lol)

3 hours ago, BlueGoliath said:

So you don't know what I was referring to but are absolutely sure that people responded normally. Seems legit.

Yup, the amount of whiteknighting in this thread is unbelievable. Its not your imagination. 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

@BlueGoliath

I have not tried tightening the timings yet either.  Just set XMP and go on this kit.  Just haven't had time, I want to...some day lol.

3600mhz.PNG

8 hours ago, Tristerin said:

The way I look at it is - 2133mhz chokes the life out of the CPU, I have the kits to show that.  @ 2666mhz they do well.  If you get a chip that can push faster (first gen) than you really start to open up the throttle.  @ 3600mhz I crash around 1 time a night while playing game due to this high frequency.  On my Ryzen Rig 1 in sig @ 3200mhz....crash 1 time a week or less.  @2666mhz no crashes ever, but lower FPS in games.

I only use 2 dimms in all 3 cases (I have 2133mhz CL 14, 3200mhz CL16 and 3600mhz CL18 2x8gb kits)

The 3600mhz is CL 18 -something-something I Can post the timings tonight from home - and from my extensive benching - Frequency over timings all day long for Ryzen first gen.  Timings are nice, frequency gives me the most FPS.

I should also mention, my kits are Patriot, V-Color and V-Color so brands are pretty "low end" (we know who produces the memory chips however lol)

Yeah, so it isn't stable. I do software compiling so that one crash a week for you is a near instant software build fail for me.

A followup to Jay's video, his twitter is full of good ass blasting too apparently:

The reality here is the brands want to provide us personal fast lane service that I don’t believe the customer gets. I have absolutely NO DOUBT that we are provided special treatment and the average joe is often left with lackluster support based on the comments alone

and he isn't letting any fanboys push him around:

Make a video about Intel issues = 1% dislike Make a video about AMD issues = 10% dislike Let that sink in

The reality here is the brands want to provide us personal fast lane service that I don’t believe the customer gets. I have absolutely NO DOUBT that we are provided special treatment and the average joe is often left with lackluster support based on the comments alone

...nor does he give a crap about hurting AMD and/or MSI's feelings:

So as of today I’ve had tons of AMD fanboys come after us, as well as upset messages/calls from both AMD and MSI.

Damn, he's going hard on them. It's funny that a tech YouTuber with 2.13m subscribers supposedly has more more weight and influence than LTT with 9m.

On 9/3/2019 at 6:23 AM, BlueGoliath said:

in one of your YouTube video titles despite using AMD for your gaming lounge which you released earlier. Really? I know your company is hurting for money since Linus keeps dropping all the expensive hardware all the damn time(/joke) but this is blatant BS. You obviously had plenty of faith in AMD if you used their CPUs in your gaming lounge despite the massive performance differences between the two. In fact, your faith was so great you ignored the massive performance difference and used them regardless.

On 9/3/2019 at 6:41 AM, DrMacintosh said:

LTT already explained why they went with AMD for their LAN center. Ryzen simply brings more to the table and for less money. It's nothing personal dude

I feel like some context here is needed.

LTT didn't go to AMD for CPU's because they wanted "cheaper but still viable option". They went to Intel first but when it turned out that it would take too long to get them the 8700K's, they contacted AMD and got their CPU's right away.

AMD wasn't their first choice, it was initially a matter of logistics (certainly not price since they wouldn't buy those CPU's anyway).

I don't remember what they said in the video about the LAN center but I definitely remember what Linus said on a Floatplane stream when they first showed the row of CPU's.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 hour ago, Lathlaer said:

I feel like some context here is needed.

LTT didn't go to AMD for CPU's because they wanted "cheaper but still viable option". They went to Intel first but when it turned out that it would take too long to get them the 8700K's, they contacted AMD and got their CPU's right away.

AMD wasn't their first choice, it was initially a matter of logistics (certainly not price since they wouldn't buy those CPU's anyway).

I don't remember what they said in the video about the LAN center but I definitely remember what Linus said on a Floatplane stream when they first showed the row of CPU's.

This is 100% true, I remember Linus saying it in the youtube video.