Framepacing comes to Eyefinity with 14.1

This is a bit of a rant, but I've scoured through what seems like hundreds of posts and it seems that a piece of important information has been drowned out by all the "WOOHOO MANTLE" news.

Cool Mantle is here, Its free performance WOOHOO and all that stuff, But the update didn't just introduce Mantle. Full Release notes here.

AVECC 14.1 also bought Framepacing to Eyefinity setups and 4k displays (Previously 1600p cap)

Me personally having HD6xxx series cards in crossfire, this is far more interesting than Mantle.

I don't feel like this is more important than Mantle but I think that it needs more attention. Finally all you people (I'm looking at about all 10 of you xD) with Eyefinity can have much nicer and stutter free gameplay.

Anyway that is my rant.

I know I've probably missed somebody that mentioned it but I can't seem to find one. So please link if you know of one.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Frame pacing doesn't affect 6xxx series cards.

You should buy me a 280x :P

Frame pacing doesn't affect 6xxx series cards.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7195/amd-frame-pacing-explorer-cat138/3

On the plus side, since this is a purely driver based solution, AMD is rolling out frame pacing to all of their currently supported products, and not just the 7000/8000 series based GCN parts. This means 5000 and 6000 series Crossfire setups, including multi-GPU cards like the 5970 and 6990, are also having their pacing issues resolved in this driver. Given the limited scope of this driver we were afraid it would be GCN-only, so this ended up being a relief.

It says in the release notes

Enhanced AMD CrossFire frame pacing – Support for 4K panel and Eyefinity non-XDMA CrossFire solutions (including the AMD Radeon R9 280, 270 Series, 7900 Series,  7800 Series) and Dual Graphics configurations​

it says "including..." not exclusively. Of course it affects 6000 series cards. It only states non-XDMA, meaning that this update doesn't affect framepacing on R9 290 or 290x. They already have it though so it doesn't really matter.

Figured I'd add this.

frame_zps0bed5c64.png

Doesn't really bother me TBH, because pretty much every game I Play lately is a DX11 title.

edit: I may be wrong, But I'm pretty sure OpenGL has a frame timing function built in, Allows it to count frame times and hold off the next frame until the average of the next frame time interval.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4