I'm just learning about building and about anything PC wise

Jgriffin812

I dont know much but any tips would be much appreciated.  I'm about to build my first PC. I am some what on a budget.   But so far I have sapphire rx590 nitro+ gpu, ryzen 7 2700xcpu, 16gballistix 3200mhz ram, 1tbm.2,   nzxt h500i case.... This stuff is alot to learn about but it's super intriguing and I'm excited to start getting involved. 

when creating a build list, use PCPartPicker.com and share the permalink when you want us to see your part selections.

pointers:

Never cheap out on the power supply, it is the life blood of your PC

Using reviews of parts to see what they're like beforehand is a great idea, buying by brand might cause issues.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yeah my friend helped me a little and I used the pcpartpicker for compatabily n such. Yeah I'm still looking into what psu ima get.    Thanks for the positive/helpful reply man I appreciate it

Just now, Jgriffin812 said:

Yeah my friend helped me a little and I used the pcpartpicker for compatabily n such. Yeah I'm still looking into what psu ima get.    Thanks for the positive/helpful reply man I appreciate it

For a power supply use a psu calculator such as: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

This will tell you what psu you need

2 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

For a power supply use a psu calculator such as: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

No, NEVER use those things. They almost always overestimate by a TON and are wildly inaccurate.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Jgriffin812 said:

So I should share my picklist?

So what you should do if you want us to recommend you something sure. But if you are currently looking for a power supply to my understanding just put everything in the calculator and then send us a pic. I could recommend you a few power supply's depending on how many watts you will need. Hopefully that will help. :)

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

No, NEVER use those things. They almost always overestimate by a TON and are wildly inaccurate.

They don't unless its made by the company that produces the power supplys 

"Its a rough estimate it wont be exact" 

8 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

definitely don't use a PSU calculator, they're notorious for overestimating.

not even good for a rough estimate,not even close.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

So how I should summarize this. Power supply calculators that are made by the manufacturer are always bias because they obviously want to up sell you something. No calculator will give you the exact number it will always be a rough estimate essentially. 

2 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

They don't unless its made by the company that produces the power supplys 

"Its a rough estimate it wont be exact" 

I don't expect exact but it's telling me my current setup (not updated in my profile btw) uses just shy of 500 watts at load from the PC alone

My wall meter shows 300 watts from the wall at full load, and that includes my 27" monitor and a LED lamp. I would call that a bit more than inaccurate

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

I don't expect exact but it's telling me my current setup (not updated in my profile btw) uses just shy of 500 watts at load from the PC alone

My wall meter shows 300 watts from the wall at full load, and that includes my 27" monitor and a LED lamp. I would call that a bit more than inaccurate

Yeah so just like I said a "Rough Estimate" it will never be exact but it will say at least what you need. So you wont be completely lost thinking you need 1300 watts for like a 1060.

1 minute ago, Pauleft said:

it will always be a rough estimate essentially. 

not a rough estimate, an over estimate, and by no small amount.

in fact I'm pretty sure it's part of the reason the myth that you need 50% of the PSU's rating for good efficiency has stuck around for so long.

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

not a rough estimate, an over estimate, and by no small amount.

in fact I'm pretty sure it's part of the reason the myth that you need 50% of the PSU's rating for good efficiency has stuck around for so long.

Yeah you are right but you know what I mean like if it says you need 600 watts thats the most he will ever need. Its never going to hurt to have extra power if you see where im coming from.

9 minutes ago, Jgriffin812 said:

So I should share my picklist?

Yes, share the list :)

Having extra eyes always helps

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Pauleft said:

Its never going to hurt to have extra power

it's gonna hurt the wallet.

A 550 watt PSU can power a Ryzen 7 3700X and an RTX 2080 ti, unless someone plans on upgrading far past that they don't need to spend more money, but a PSU calc would give the impression that a 750 watt or higher would be needed and that's quite a lot more expensive, that's money that can go towards better storage or maybe more features on a motherboard, etc.

Primary PC: